Am I in the game?

Post bug reports and ask for game support here.

Moderator: MOD_Commander_The_Great_War

BlueMak

Am I in the game?

Post by BlueMak »

I started the game and I have music and a nice picture and nothing happens. No menus no way to skip this...what's going on?
I have the latest version of the game.
First time I install the game as I bought it just the other night.
zakblood

RE: Am I in the game?

Post by zakblood »

yes, but you maybe missing some files,

How to get a DirectX Diagnostic file:

1. click on "START" 2. click "run" 3. type in "dxdiag" and click "OK" 4. check through the tabs and perform all tests 5. click "Save all Information..." and save the text file to a location of your choice

We prefer that DxDiag files be posted as message attachments rather than pasted into the body of the post.
Windows 11 Pro 64-bit (10.0, Build 22621) (22621.ni_release.220506-1250)
BlueMak

Post by BlueMak »

ORIGINAL: zakblood

yes, but you maybe missing some files,

How to get a DirectX Diagnostic file:

1. click on "START" 2. click "run" 3. type in "dxdiag" and click "OK" 4. check through the tabs and perform all tests 5. click "Save all Information..." and save the text file to a location of your choice

We prefer that DxDiag files be posted as message attachments rather than pasted into the body of the post.

I did what you asked but there were no "tests" in any tab or elsewhere. I have two gpus, I have set as default the nvidia one. Here is the file.
Attachments
DxDiag.txt
(81 KiB) Downloaded 9 times
zakblood

Post by zakblood »

this is a not so common problem with dual chip Intel(R) HD Graphics 4600 plus GeForce GTX 980M error, as the game maybe doesn't know which one to send the signal to ingame,

Code: Select all

https://communities.intel.com/thread/77746?tstart=0

this is a driver issue and maybe not some simple to support or fix either

https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/528621/can-39-t-disable-integrated-intel-hd-graphics/

as one of the 2 needs to be disabled for the error to go away i'm sorry to say, there is hope as you can try what it says in the geforce link above, but for some it doesn't work, as it depends on make / model and bios as well, good look and let us know either way, as i maybe wrong.
If your setup runs an independent NVIDIA GPU + an Integrated Graphics card (such as an Intel HD 4000), it's "Auto-Select" may not be correctly choosing the GPU for some games.

These are usually older games, but they will run much better by doing this:

Open Nvidia Panel -> Manage 3D settings -> Global Settings Tab -> Change "Preferred Graphics Processor" from 'Auto-Select' to 'High Performance NVIDIA'.

Then click 'Set PhysX Configuration' -> open the dropdown to select processor and change 'Auto-Select' to your GPU.

This will correct issues in games that seem to perform badly even with decent hardware

first one to try as always is this link below,

tm.asp?m=3212308
BlueMak

Post by BlueMak »

ORIGINAL: zakblood

this is a not so common problem with dual chip Intel(R) HD Graphics 4600 plus GeForce GTX 980M error, as the game maybe doesn't know which one to send the signal to ingame,

https://communities.intel.com/thread/77746?tstart=0

this is a driver issue and maybe not some simple to support or fix either

https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/528621/can-39-t-disable-integrated-intel-hd-graphics/

as one of the 2 needs to be disabled for the error to go away i'm sorry to say, there is hope as you can try what it says in the geforce link above, but for some it doesn't work, as it depends on make / model and bios as well, good look and let us know either way, as i maybe wrong.
If your setup runs an independent NVIDIA GPU + an Integrated Graphics card (such as an Intel HD 4000), it's "Auto-Select" may not be correctly choosing the GPU for some games.

These are usually older games, but they will run much better by doing this:

Open Nvidia Panel -> Manage 3D settings -> Global Settings Tab -> Change "Preferred Graphics Processor" from 'Auto-Select' to 'High Performance NVIDIA'.

Then click 'Set PhysX Configuration' -> open the dropdown to select processor and change 'Auto-Select' to your GPU.

This will correct issues in games that seem to perform badly even with decent hardware

first one to try as always is this link below,

tm.asp?m=3212308

I assume you are replying for not only the Great War but also for my problem with Napoleon.

Anyway, first for Napoleon, by forcing to use the Intel chip and force the scaling on that, Napoleon's black borders are gone, but the white space remains. If run in windowed mode the game sits stuck at the top left side of the monitor so that isn't a solution either.

Regarding Great War, nothing changes anything. I run the file, I get the small windows with the "play game, check the manual, etc". I start the game and I get a proper full screen of a picture of some soldiers, music playing in the background, the title of the game appears, but no options anywhere to do anything. Play the game, options, quit, nothing. Just a beautiful screen and music. I have to Alt-F4 to exit this. Although it doesn't feel like a driver/options issue, I tried everything I tried with Napoleon too, and unfortunately (as expected) nothing changed. It's weird and it doesn't feel like a graphics issue. Any chance this is a game bug?
zakblood

Post by zakblood »

not really, if you Google (dual chip Intel(R) HD Graphics 4600 plus GeForce GTX 980M errors) there's quite a few pages of same error's in many different games, all being caused by driver errors tbh, where as some game work fine with the set up, others don't, so unless a developer tests for a dual chip set up like this, i'd hazard a guess it doesn't come up that often, disabling one of the chips helps in all, but not all motherboard have that option, you can always wait around and see if a developer chips in with a reply or a staff member, as they may have more information on the given subject, i'm only giving you a opinion from what i can find, where as tech support may have come across this before, i'll ask and see if anyone else can chip in with a different answer

How to get the ctgw.log file:

If you ever get an error or crash, please attach the ctgw.log file to your report, this will help us identify the problem. The logs are in your Documents, so the default is "My Documents\My Games\Commander The Great War"

IMPORTANT: This log is overwritten every time you start the game. Please make a copy of the log after any crash/bug you want to report before reloading the game.

NOTE: Please put your attachments in a .zip or .rar format, before you upload it here on the forum, if not, it will not upload at all.

good luck
VPaulus

Post by VPaulus »

The issue is caused by your System DPI being set to 144DPI (150%).
The normal value is 96DPI (100%)
Without reducing it to 96DPI, you'll never be able to see the bottom buttons.

The problem here is that you can normally reduce the User DPI value but unfortunately for the System DPI there's no clear way to do it.

Try the following
Download the file attached in this message and unzip it.
Run the extracted file SystemDPI_96.reg and allow it to edit your Windows registry settings.
After that run the game.
Attachments
SystemDPI_96.zip
(351 Bytes) Downloaded 6 times
zakblood

Post by zakblood »

thanks.
BlueMak

Post by BlueMak »

ORIGINAL: VPaulus

The problem here is that you can normally reduce the User DPI value but unfortunately for the System DPI there's no clear way to do it.

Try the following
Run the extracted file SystemDPI_96.reg and allow it to edit your Windows registry settings.
After that run the game.

Interesting, I never thought this could be an issue as I always assumed the middle position was for normal.
I went to Display etc and changed it to the far left position and it solved the problem with this game. Excellent! Thank you very much.
Any chance you can also help with Napoleon? :)

tm.asp?m=3982926
BlueMak

Post by BlueMak »

oh and thank you too zakblood for trying to help, I appreciate it.
zakblood

Post by zakblood »

your welcome, i'm only a forum member helper, so are limited it my answer, but when i don't know, i know a man who most of the times does[;)][:D]
zakblood

Post by zakblood »

ORIGINAL: BlueMak

ORIGINAL: VPaulus

Try the following
After that run the game.

Interesting, I never thought this could be an issue as I always assumed the middle position was for normal.
I went to Display etc and changed it to the far left position and it solved the problem with this game. Excellent! Thank you very much.
Any chance you can also help with Napoleon? :)

tm.asp?m=3982926

hasn't the dpi fixed worked on that then? [:(]
zakblood

Post by zakblood »

if not re post in there so the developer can see and reply also, thanks
BlueMak

Post by BlueMak »

Then you are the guy/gal to know! lol
Thanks again.
BlueMak

Post by BlueMak »

yes, it did nothing for Napoleon. Will post there again to bump it I guess.

Return to “Tech Support”