WWI playable?

Share reports of your greatest victories and most ignominious defeats with other gamers here.
Vern78

WWI playable?

Post by Vern78 »

I just bought the game World War I. I have been wargaming since 1958 but this is very confusing to me. I don't understand the map at all. Very complicated, [&o] Very cluttered. [&o] Is there any way to simplify the game? So far, I just uninstalled it. [&:] Also bought Road To Victory but discontinued trying to play that one too.

Would appreciate any guidance on simplifing either one
Mike Dubost

RE: WWI playable?

Post by Mike Dubost »

ORIGINAL: cebucity7

I just bought the game World War I. I have been wargaming since 1958 but this is very confusing to me. I don't understand the map at all. Very complicated, [&o] Very cluttered. [&o] Is there any way to simplify the game? So far, I just uninstalled it. [&:] Also bought Road To Victory but discontinued trying to play that one too.

Would appreciate any guidance on simplifing either one

I cannot help with WWI, as I am lurking around here to evaluate the game for possible purchase. However, if you will PM me or start a thread in the war room of the Road to Victory forum, I think I have enough knowledge to assist with that game.
JudgeDredd

Post by JudgeDredd »

I'm not really wanting to pour scorne on you here mate, but if you're having trouble with Road to Victory, World War One was not a good purchase for you.

World War One is from AGEod and as such will be an in depth, complicated game. From my experience, they don't do any others (I know this is from another dev...but AGEoD have published it....it means it's complex).

Road to Victory is very much a beer and Pretzels game from what I recall. Nothing that complicated in it at all.

However, as Mike said. Post about Road to Victory in that forum and you will have a plethora of answers thrown at you.
Alba gu' brath
vonRocko

Post by vonRocko »

I really hate to say this, but WW1 is still unplayable, yes you can get through a few turns,but inevitably some bug will crop up. I had the game from the beginning and everytime they(ageod) fix something,another thing comes up. I have NEVER been able to complete a game!
They are trying, but this game was such a mess at release that it will be several months before you can play it. Besides,there is no manual.
I gave my all to this game, and am very very disappointed!

Brainiac

Post by Brainiac »

I have been playing wargames on paper since about 1970, and the ones made for computers since about the mid-80's.

Wargames are, inevitably, a balance between playability and realism.  I have noticed with the computer versions, the extremes have increased.  That is; nothing assists in the ultimate quest for realism more efficiently then a computer database; and, nothing makes a game more playable then a compuiter tutor or roll over hints in a complex game.

In my humble opinion; this game suffers from interface problems, some underwritten rules, and, some bugs.

INTERFACE PROBLEMS:

Determining which armies you can do something with and which armies you are not allowed to do anything with is a puzzle, and, if you choose to play a campaign game, the puzzle becomes large and tedius.  The selecting of plans is not aided by the small black and white maps that would have been useful if large enough to see.  I could go on, but, I think you get the message; if you have played the game, I think what I am talking about is obvious, though, granted, it will be more of an obsticle to some then to others.

UNDERWRITTEN RULES:

The key interface of the game, the battle screens (land, naval and air) are terribly underwritten and explained in the rules.  What do units placed inthe deployment row do?  Do I have to choose a path of retreat, break thorugh, or counterattack?  Or will that auto-resolve if I do not? 

BUGS:

The game crashes often, and when a game is not concluded by crashing, the AI is in a state of thinking what to do, endlessly.

I want to like this game, really, I do.  I guess it still needs more patching, I don't know.

thanks for reading 
JudgeDredd

Post by JudgeDredd »

I haven't had a single crash yet, but in my drive to understand the game, I've not gone past 1914...so maybe they are waiting for me.
Alba gu' brath
vonRocko

Post by vonRocko »

ORIGINAL: vonRocko

I really hate to say this, but WW1 is still unplayable, yes you can get through a few turns,but inevitably some bug will crop up. I had the game from the beginning and everytime they(ageod) fix something,another thing comes up. I have NEVER been able to complete a game!
They are trying, but this game was such a mess at release that it will be several months before you can play it. Besides,there is no manual.
I gave my all to this game, and am very very disappointed!

Since I wrote this,the game has come a long way. Much quicker than I estimated. I have no crashes and the game runs. There are bugs and interface problems,but these are being resolved quickly!
With the manual sections coming out, I am getting a much better understanding of the game. Some problems people thought were bugs, were actually designed that way,but without the manual we did not realize it.
It is certainly worth purchasing, and will become THE BEST WW1 game.
Blueprint

Post by Blueprint »

ORIGINAL: Brainiac

I have been playing wargames on paper since about 1970, and the ones made for computers since about the mid-80's.

Wargames are, inevitably, a balance between playability and realism.  I have noticed with the computer versions, the extremes have increased.  That is; nothing assists in the ultimate quest for realism more efficiently then a computer database; and, nothing makes a game more playable then a compuiter tutor or roll over hints in a complex game.

In my humble opinion; this game suffers from interface problems, some underwritten rules, and, some bugs.

INTERFACE PROBLEMS:

Determining which armies you can do something with and which armies you are not allowed to do anything with is a puzzle, and, if you choose to play a campaign game, the puzzle becomes large and tedius.  The selecting of plans is not aided by the small black and white maps that would have been useful if large enough to see.  I could go on, but, I think you get the message; if you have played the game, I think what I am talking about is obvious, though, granted, it will be more of an obsticle to some then to others.

UNDERWRITTEN RULES:

The key interface of the game, the battle screens (land, naval and air) are terribly underwritten and explained in the rules.  What do units placed inthe deployment row do?  Do I have to choose a path of retreat, break thorugh, or counterattack?  Or will that auto-resolve if I do not? 

BUGS:

The game crashes often, and when a game is not concluded by crashing, the AI is in a state of thinking what to do, endlessly.

I want to like this game, really, I do.  I guess it still needs more patching, I don't know.

thanks for reading 

Do you have updated WW1 to the 1.05f patch? You can download it here: http://www.ageod.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12686

The real manual is available here : http://www.ageod.com/forums/showthread. ... post125305

You should find answers about plans and the first turn which is very special as some movements are mandatory and battle

The 1.06 patch next month should introduce enhancments to battle screen and merging procedure

Return to “After Action Reports”