Centennial

This revised and updated turn-based grand strategy game from the team at AGEOD brings players back to World War I, including both the Eastern and Western fronts and over 4 campaigns and 10 scenarios. As either a member of the Central Powers, the Entente or a neutral nation, players will confront the epic gauntlet of military and political challenges that faced the likes of Kitchener, Joffre, Luddendorf, Clemenceau, Czar Nicholas II or Enver Pasha.
harley9699

Centennial

Post by harley9699 »

Saw that this has upgraded to a Centennial Edition on Steam. Will we get that here as well? Thanks.
Leaddernoir

RE: Centennial

Post by Leaddernoir »

I am not to sure, but it does not seem like Matrix/Ageod have anything to do with the Centennial Edition. The publisher as listed on Steam is 'Plug in Digital' and the developer is 'Digital Froggies Inc'. Hopefully a Matrix or Ageod rep will post and let us all know a bit more about this game as seems to be based on World War One Gold. There is not much more info on the Ageod forums either.
harley9699

Post by harley9699 »

Thanks. Read somewhere that it was an updated/upgraded version of Gold.
solops

Post by solops »

So are we going to get an update from v1.08Q?
All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.-Edmund Burke
Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women; if it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it.-Judge Learned Hand
Rosseau

Post by Rosseau »

I would love an updated edition, but not sure. The game description reads exactly like the WWI Gold description on Matrix site. Could be the exact same game relabeled?

Correction: The game description is the same on GamersGate, but Steam gives the new details. I'm tempted, but after paying for WW1, WW1 Gold, I've had enough.
histgamer

Post by histgamer »

nvm
Queeg

Post by Queeg »

ORIGINAL: rosseau

I would love an updated edition, but not sure. The game description reads exactly like the WWI Gold description on Matrix site. Could be the exact same game relabeled?

Correction: The game description is the same on GamersGate, but Steam gives the new details. I'm tempted, but after paying for WW1, WW1 Gold, I've had enough.

If you feel like you saw all WWI Gold had to offer and weren't taken with the game play, then I'd definitely pass on CE. But if you feel like you never really got to experience the game because the performance was so bad, then CE might be worthwhile. The performance improvements are dramatic.

WWI Gold, for me, was one of those those games that I wanted to love but just couldn't because the performance was so bad that playing the game was a beating. CE fixes all that, so I finally feel like I'm playing the game as it was meant to be. I think it's now the best WWI game on the market, by far.
mbar

Post by mbar »

Centennial has disappeared from Steam. I had wondered if the licensing wouldn't be disputable.
zakblood

Post by zakblood »

what you want and what you get is 2 totally different things now days [8|]
Windows 11 Pro 64-bit (10.0, Build 22621) (22621.ni_release.220506-1250)
czert2

Post by czert2 »

what is difference between gold and centinetral edition ?
Queeg

Post by Queeg »

ORIGINAL: czert2

what is difference between gold and centinetral edition ?

CE is a revised version of Gold - think of it as a mega-patch of the same game by a different developer. CE mostly solves the performance issues of Gold (slow loading, frequent crashes and sluggish cursor) - for me anyway, the improvement is dramatic. CE also changes the map art a bit (to add a clear representation of mountains and forests and adds some unit art (also uses a larger counter). The also rewrote the tool tips so they actually make sense. Finally, CE also adds a 1917 scenario.

So it's basically the same game as Gold only playable, with a new map, better tool tips and 1917 scenario.

Steam isn't selling it at the moment (apparently because of a legal dispute over ownership of the game rights) but it's still available from some other on-line shops. Google should find them.
Randomizer

Post by Randomizer »

Also, be advised that WW1CE does not run in Win-XP for those with older systems.

On the plus side the WW1G mods available at the AGEOD forum all work in CE and it uses the same comma-delimited and text-based game files so continuing to facilitate modding and tweaking the game and the AI to taste.

-C
Queeg

Post by Queeg »

ORIGINAL: Randomizer

On the plus side the WW1G mods available at the AGEOD forum all work in CE and it uses the same comma-delimited and text-based game files so continuing to facilitate modding and tweaking the game and the AI to taste.

-C

Are you still working on any mods? I've done some relatively simple graphics mods for CE, but haven't delved into the data (events, etc.). Modding CE is easier than with Gold simply because you don't have to spend half your day just waiting for the game to load to see if your mod works.
Randomizer

Post by Randomizer »

ORIGINAL: Queeg
Are you still working on any mods? I've done some relatively simple graphics mods for CE, but haven't delved into the data (events, etc.). Modding CE is easier than with Gold simply because you don't have to spend half your day just waiting for the game to load to see if your mod works.
Not entirely sure what's left to mod. I've tinkered with some events and added some additional air units (heavy bombers) to build should a Grand Campaign run into 1919. Also have added redeployment phases to all the two-month turns and that helps the AI and the Player in my opinion. The problem with adding new events is editing the game scripts so they appear properly when triggered; something that something that so far has eluded me doing successfully.

Also I found the problem with added leaders not showing up when the game is run, it requires that all of a country's leaders be listed continuously by country; that is all ENG leaders cannot be separated by any other country's leaders in the Leaders.csv file found in the DB folder. The numerical leader ID tags need not be sequential in the file but the country tags must be. This holds for WW1G, I suspect that it is the same for CE.

I generally have a WW1G campaign on the go but CMANO is eating much of my game-playing time.

-C
Queeg

Post by Queeg »

ORIGINAL: Randomizer

ORIGINAL: Queeg
Not entirely sure what's left to mod. I've tinkered with some events and added some additional air units (heavy bombers) to build should a Grand Campaign run into 1919. Also have added redeployment phases to all the two-month turns and that helps the AI and the Player in my opinion. The problem with adding new events is editing the game scripts so they appear properly when triggered; something that something that so far has eluded me doing successfully.

Also I found the problem with added leaders not showing up when the game is run, it requires that all of a country's leaders be listed continuously by country; that is all ENG leaders cannot be separated by any other country's leaders in the Leaders.csv file found in the DB folder. The numerical leader ID tags need not be sequential in the file but the country tags must be. This holds for WW1G, I suspect that it is the same for CE.

I generally have a WW1G campaign on the go but CMANO is eating much of my game-playing time.

-C

I'd love to see your various mods-in-progress. One problem with CE at the moment is that there's no place to post and discuss mods. We have to lurk in the shadows of other forums.

I may delve into the data files at some point, but I'm mostly just enjoying playing the game.

Thanks for all the work you've done on WWIG. And nice that your mods all work in CE.
toddtreadway

Post by toddtreadway »

I have not played WW1 Gold, nor the WW1 Centennial, games.

From that perspective, what are the big differences between the versions?

Thanks!
Queeg

Post by Queeg »

See my post #10 above for the differences between Gold and CE. Bottom line is that CE is 90% Gold, but with vastly improved performance, a new map and other graphics, rewritten tool tips and a new 1917 tutorial. The performance improvement is the big thing, at least in my experience. CE includes the latest patch for Gold and Gold mods work with it.

Basically, CE is a version of Gold that actually runs, with the addition of some new content.

I can't think of any particular reason to buy Gold over CE at this point. AGEOD hasn't supported WWI Gold in years, so whatever happens with CE is an improvement over Gold.
wodin

Post by wodin »

For me WW1Gold ran better than his release, I really have to play with nato counters as the other counters give a massive frame rate hit. I've also had two crashes with the newest game and never had one with WW1Gold. Haven't noticed much of an improvement in map (WW1Gold map seemed good enough) or any other new graphics.

Would love to see exactly what is new as for me the only obvious thing as a 1917 scenario (will try out the new tutorial though). New event cards would have been good...also an actual casualty count for each nation, chrome yes and abstracted no doubt but still give me an idea on how much damage is being done.

Saying all that both games are still the best WW1 wargame out.

Return to “World War One Gold”