Headquarter question

This revised and updated turn-based grand strategy game from the team at AGEOD brings players back to World War I, including both the Eastern and Western fronts and over 4 campaigns and 10 scenarios. As either a member of the Central Powers, the Entente or a neutral nation, players will confront the epic gauntlet of military and political challenges that faced the likes of Kitchener, Joffre, Luddendorf, Clemenceau, Czar Nicholas II or Enver Pasha.
Randomizer

RE: Headquarter question

Post by Randomizer »

One thing is driving me nuts with this game - I cannot figure out the end of game screens (victory or defeat screens) - most of the time they make no sense - are the big scenarios like this - going to play the short 1914 scenario next before trying the campaigns

Game screens come in scripts and some of those are, to be polite, a bit screwed up. Not too big a deal unless these sorts of things are important to you but generally as a Player, you know how well you have done. To be honest I have never noticed a problem with the big Campaigns and avoid the short scenarios where the game is not really at its best.
Also - out of curiosity - what is the Modding folder in the World War One folder used for and what is the "path for Modding in the configurator used for

The Modding folder contains all of the stock game files found in the DB, Maps and Scenarios folders in .xls format. This makes them easy to read but the game itself uses a comma delimited (.csv) file format and so will not read these files.

WW1G files are very sensitive to punctuation and just saving an .xls file in the .csv format (an option when running M$ EXCEL) will likely cause a crash when the game is loaded with the newly generated file. This is because the delimiting punctuation marks (curly brackets {}, semi-colons ; quotation marks "" and commas ,) have to be absolutely correct or crashes and errors can occur when the game is run. My modding solution has always been to save the stock file in a user-created folder and then edit it to taste, using the .xls files in the Modding folder for reference as to what values go where due to the greater clarity offered by the colour-coded .xls formats.

You can create new headquarters, corps, support units, ships and fleets, edit the values of the existing units and change deployments of existing units if you are willing to do the work.

As I recall, the use of the Modding folder was discussed long ago, before the Gold version perhaps and I have some guesses as to what it's for but they're just guesses. I suspect (but must stress that I do not know) that when the game is run it might seek .csv files in the Modding folder and load them in preference to those in the DB folder (where the stock .csv files live) but have never tried a test.* Once it was determined that modding could be done using JSGME it greatly simplified things so I regard the pathway in the configuration tool as irrelevant.

*The NWS naval game Steam and Iron uses a similar idea to facilitate modding. A "Custom" folder is provided where users can save custom ship designs and scenarios and the game loads files found there first. This allows stock files to remain stock and any user customized files to run with the game. It's pretty much transparent to the modder.
jcrohio

RE: Headquarter question

Post by jcrohio »

Thanks

About the scoring - are the number of stars the score?

The modding information was what I thought - I have also seen modding folder in other games that work the way you described

Jack
Jack

Return to “World War One Gold”