War in the West Map

Post suggestions and discuss the scenario and database editors here.
hueglin

RE: War in the West Mod update

Post by hueglin »

Thanks.
showboat1

Post by showboat1 »

I was just thinking about how much I would like to have a WWI game to play and here com a WWI mod for WPO.  Is this thing for real or have I just had too much Southern Comfort today?
SF3C B. B. New USS North Carolina BB-55 - Permission is granted to go ashore for the last shore leave. (1926-2003)
hueglin

Post by hueglin »

It's for real but it is a very slow process. If you read back in this post and an earlier post I started on this site (which you may already have done), you will get a sense of how it is progressing.

I am currently inputting the German Army order of battle (I have some fairly detailed sources). I am hoping to get part of the German Orbat and part of the French Orbat entered in so I can start some play testing of the land combat.

Just so you know, my mod is not exactly WW1. I am setting it up with the British being allied with the Germans and Austria-Hungary and the US entering the war early to support the French and Russians. In every other way it will be as historically accurate as possible. The reason I am setting it up that way is to make it more interesting (in my view), especially from a naval viewpoint.

Anthropoid

Post by Anthropoid »

Wow, amazing work. Looks beautiful!
The x-ray is her siren song. My ship cannot resist her long. Nearer to my deadly goal. Until the black hole. Gains control...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IkIIlkyZ ... playnext=3
showboat1

Post by showboat1 »

Now all you need are ship data files, artwork, OOB for land units, experienced testers......  Oh wait, I'm one of those [:D] 

SF3C B. B. New USS North Carolina BB-55 - Permission is granted to go ashore for the last shore leave. (1926-2003)
showboat1

Post by showboat1 »

ORIGINAL: hueglin

I have been collecting info on the multitude of artillery types that were available to the various countries in 1914 (some types dating back to the 1870s) - I want to at least get a good list of all of the designations so that I can make a well organized device list - that way I can allocate the arty types to a slot number and worry about the correct data later.

Maybe you could just use some generic artillery to represent the old pieces that weren't really that effective anymore.
hueglin

Post by hueglin »

ORIGINAL: showboat1

ORIGINAL: hueglin

I have been collecting info on the multitude of artillery types that were available to the various countries in 1914 (some types dating back to the 1870s) - I want to at least get a good list of all of the designations so that I can make a well organized device list - that way I can allocate the arty types to a slot number and worry about the correct data later.

Maybe you could just use some generic artillery to represent the old pieces that weren't really that effective anymore.

Yes, although if the slots are available, I would rather have the actual equipment names - part of the fun (and frustration) of modding is actually going out and collecting the obscure details.
TeK

Post by TeK »

Keep it up. I'll need to schedule an all nighter for myself once this scenario is complete.
Philodraco

Post by Philodraco »

woderful work! please carry on !
hueglin

RE: War in the West Map

Post by hueglin »

Not much to report this week - real life got in the way. I have started putting in the French Infantry Divisions and locating them at their garrisons/mobilization areas. The German Infantry, Cavalry and Reserve Divisions are on the map and partially place in the correct areas.

I changed the base icons of the Japanese to German and the unit colours to grey.

Once my summer holidays start (in two weeks) I will begin the transportation network.

If anyone wants to design the screen art (loading screen etc,), any help in that regard would be greatly appreciated.
hueglin

Post by hueglin »

I found out some interesting things about how the command and restricted command slots work in the editor this week.

It seems that the flag icons for the allied nations are linked to the command slots rather than to the nationality indicator (as you might expect). For example, any base that you put under the Canadian Forces restricted slot will use the flag for Canada - even if you designate the nationality as something else. I have created a Spanish Home Forces and an Italian Home Forces and been able to give them their own flags.

What was really surprising, however, was that it seems that any slot will come up as being on the Japanese side if you do not designate a higher command. I am not planning to use this undocumented feature - I am not sure what strange side effects it would produce. For a while I couldn`t figure out what was going on as I had French units and bases that I had created being on the German (Japanese) side.
hueglin

Post by hueglin »

I have taken the summer off from working on this project, although I hope to get started up again in Sept 07.
Rysyonok

Post by Rysyonok »

Awesome!
hueglin

Post by hueglin »

I have begun adding in the rail net to the map. It is slow going though, as I need to commit a lot of time to my real job right now.
hueglin

Post by hueglin »

After playing around with adding the rail net graphically to the map, I have decided against putting the rail lines on. I found it cluttered up the map in Europe too much.

Instead, I decided to just implement the transport net through the wpohex file. I have completed Spain and the British Isles so far.
hueglin

Post by hueglin »

I have been adding in the transport net slowly and in rough form (I would not call it super accurate - lots of guestimates). I have finished most of Europe, although there are many errors that need to be fixed - I discovered by accident that the 'r' key will show the transport net in the game which I am now finding invaluable for correcting errors.

As I progress I am doing some testing on the land operations in Europe to get a sense of movement rates and combat results.
hueglin

Post by hueglin »

There does not seem to be much interest in this project - which is o.k. - I am doing it out of my own interest. I will continue to post occasionally however, just in case anyone is following 'silently'.

I have started the transportation net in North America. Europe is finished (rough version) as far east as Turkey. I have also begun adding in the Austria-Hungarian land OOB.
Zakhal

Post by Zakhal »

Looks amazing. You should make this a real addon if it comes to the point of alpha/beta. Im sure people would pay somthing say 15$ (?) for european theather (even if its fantastic) with witp engine.
"99.9% of all internet arguments are due to people not understanding someone else's point. The other 0.1% is arguing over made up statistics."- unknown poster
"Those who dont read history are destined to repeat it."– Edmund Burke
redeck

Post by redeck »

I would let you know that you have at least one "silent follower" here.

your work is a small part of the reason I puchased WPO this morning, been following your thread for a few weeks now

cant wait to see how it turns out

thanks,
Dave
hueglin

Post by hueglin »

ORIGINAL: redeck

I would let you know that you have at least one "silent follower" here.

your work is a small part of the reason I puchased WPO this morning, been following your thread for a few weeks now

cant wait to see how it turns out

Thanks!

Return to “Scenario Design”