War in the West Map

Post suggestions and discuss the scenario and database editors here.
hueglin

War in the West Map

Post by hueglin »

For anyone who is interested:

Here is a recent screen of a map I am working on, c.1914. So far it has major rivers, country names and boundaries, and large port city names.

I've also started work on the wpohex.dat file.

Attachments
MapRev1024.jpg
MapRev1024.jpg (180.54 KiB) Viewed 563 times
hueglin

RE: War in the West Map

Post by hueglin »

Here's a full scale shot.

Attachments
Samplemap.jpg
Samplemap.jpg (146.48 KiB) Viewed 546 times
bradfordkay

Post by bradfordkay »

Beautiful looking maps. Are they to WPO 60nm scale?
fair winds,
Brad
hueglin

Post by hueglin »

Brad,

Thanks, yes they are 60 nm hexes. Before I started the map I read on the WITP website that the scale was 60nm per hex. I have subsequently learned from reading the WITP forum that they are actually 60 statute miles, so aircraft ranges would need to be modified to be accurate.

It doesn't bother me too much because my main plan is to use the map to represent hypothetical conflicts around the 1914 time period. Any aircraft stats would need to be created from scratch for that anyway.

Dave
Monter_Trismegistos

Post by Monter_Trismegistos »

Wow! I would like these. Some time ago I started putting Hochseeflotte ships into database, with WWI mod in mind. But I finished my work just after that - I thought I would never get correct map. Now,Heavens send me You! :)

1. Could you show panels covering North Sea and Baltic, to show how tight is there?
2. What are those white and black thingies in mid Atlantic?
Nec Temere Nec Timide
Bez strachu ale z rozwagą
JagdFlanker

Post by JagdFlanker »

sweet job!
hueglin

Post by hueglin »

ORIGINAL: Monter_Trismegistos

1. Could you show panels covering North Sea and Baltic, to show how tight is there?
2. What are those white and black thingies in mid Atlantic?

I will be trying to figure out how to get the maps up on to Send Space and will post a link when it is done.

There is not a lot of room in the Baltic - Europe is fairly small at this scale.

The black lines are routes through the middle of the Atlantic. Inside the grey lines are no-go areas. Because I wanted to include India, I had to shorten the width of the Atlantic. My limited research on WW1 in the Atlantic indicated that most of the U-boat war was closer to the coasts rather than in the middle of the Atlantic, so I thought I would create the black routes that follow the trade routes and represent the distance fairly accurately. If it turns out they are too much of a 'bottleneck', I will add in more routes.

Obviously someone else could take the map and cut out India to add back in the mid Atlantic.

I'd love to get your data on the Hochseeflotte. i have not done any research in that regard - yet.

Attachments
Baltic.jpg
Baltic.jpg (99.3 KiB) Viewed 539 times
hueglin

Post by hueglin »

Here is the link for the map panels in Send Space.
http://www.sendspace.com/file/tdtpac NOTE: This is a new link
I made it a self extracting zip file called : WarintheWestMap. It contains the hexed panels and the jump map only.

Anyone is welcome to use or modify the maps in any way. I would appreciate mention as the originator. I consider this a beta version and will continue to modify and update it as I continue my own project.

The original map with various layers (hexes, rivers, names) is in Corel Photopaint 11. If you are interested in getting a copy in that format send me a PM.

The wpohex data file is a lot of work. I am doing a rough go through just trying to get the river/land/ocean/coast hexes correct. I've done about 6,000 hexes so far.

Any suggestions are welcome,

Dave
Captain Torry

Post by Captain Torry »

This looks great. Are we talking about a full WWI mod here? I would sure like to see one.

Regards:
Captain Rockwell Torry
Przemcio231

Post by Przemcio231 »

Great Job!!! but do you think WPO ground Combat model can handle Trench Warfare or the Collaps of Russian Morale?? Any way looking foward to see this in Action.  Do you need help with Fleet OOb's and such??

Pinky: Hey Brain what are we goeing to do this evening?
Brain: The Usual Pinky we will try to take over the World;)
MadmanRick

Post by MadmanRick »

Ok, so this map will be used for a WW1 mod, that's very cool! It seems that it would be possible to also use it for a War in the Atlantic/Med WW2 mod. I think I would be just as much or more interested in a WW2 mod.

Rick
"Our lives begin to end the moment we become silent about things that matter". Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.
hueglin

Post by hueglin »

Przemcio231
Great Job!!! but do you think WPO ground Combat model can handle Trench Warfare or the Collaps of Russian Morale?? Any way looking foward to see this in Action. Do you need help with Fleet OOb's and such??

Thanks for the support,

I haven't done any testing of the land warfare system for WW1. I am expecting that almost every hex in Europe will need to be a base, which could then be fortified to represent trench lines/fortifications. So I am imagining that you would end up with opposing forces in adjecent hexes that are fortified, trying to attack into and gain a foothold in the enemies hex.

As I have stated earlier in this, or another thread, my personal preference is for a hypothetical England/Germany/Austria-Hungary vs France/US/Italy/Russia. I think you could set that up so that it required much more emphasis on naval action - the British needing to maintain the link to India, South America and Africa (for supplies) the French and Italians needing US support.

Any work on fleet OOBs would be appreciated. I'm also wondering about WW1 aircraft and whether it would be worth trying to model them.
JagdFlanker

Post by JagdFlanker »

actually if anything the WitP land combat engine probably supports WWI land combat much better than WWII. movement is slow for all units, and a well defended hex takes ages to defeat so each player could have a double line of defence to prevent breakthroughs. since theres a long line to defend it would be very difficult to mass your troops anywhere for a breakthrough, and even if you could the enemy has plenty of time to reinforce the second line. as long as you didn't include the russian front i think a full WWI scenario is much more plausible than a WW II scen.

if you wanted to keep it simple though it could be arranged that france/england sucks up supplies somehow and the allies need to keep sending convoys across without needing to worry about any land combat - that could easily accommodate a WWI or WWII scen
hueglin

wpohex.dat update

Post by hueglin »

For those interested,

I am past the 10,000 hex mark on the wpohex.dat file (the middle of Great Britain). Even when done, this will be version 1 - it will need refining to more accurately portray specific areas of importance. Right now some of the input data is just my best guess from looking at the colours on the map and my background knowledge about the terrain in various countries.
hueglin

Beta version of wpohex.dat complete

Post by hueglin »

As the subject line states, I have finished a preliminary version of the wpohex.dat file for the War in the West map. Anyone who wants a copy can pm me with their e-mail. Next step on the map front is to put the transportation network on the map and then enter it into the dat file. I have lots of info for that time period but it will still be a lot of work.

I will also make a start on adding in the bases.

I have started some preliminary data entry for ship classes (I do this when I get tired of working on the map/hex file).
String

RE: Beta version of wpohex.dat complex

Post by String »

Very Very Impressive :)
Surface combat TF fanboy
Dali

Post by Dali »

This super works!!
hueglin

Post by hueglin »

New link for map:

http://www.sendspace.com/file/tdtpac

Sendspace deactivates a download if it is not used within one week. If you try the site and it is not working, just send me a pm and I will update it.
hueglin

War in the West Mod update

Post by hueglin »

To anyone interested,

I have completed the entries for all/most of the base names and put in provisional port and airfield sizes. I still need to decide on supply, fortification and industry.

I have been playing around with the TOEs for the Land Units. My plan is to model the following:
Army Group HQ, Army HQ, Divisions, Corps Troops, Army Troops (arty and engineers), specific smaller organizations e.g. independent Brigades.

There are not enough slots to model Corps HQs (and with this game scale you would end up with more than one in a hex in Europe).

I am still not sure if I will need to lump the Corps and Army Troops into fixed units designated by the Corps or Army title or if I will be able to represent all of those units individually. I am suspecting there will not be enough slots to do it on an individual basis.

I have been collecting info on the multitude of artillery types that were available to the various countries in 1914 (some types dating back to the 1870s) - I want to at least get a good list of all of the designations so that I can make a well organized device list - that way I can allocate the arty types to a slot number and worry about the correct data later.

I have created an infantry section and cavalry section device for each nation so that the devices can be used to model the availability of training/manpower for that nation.

I still need to add in the transportation network to the map and the wpohex.dat file. Right now I have been taking a break from the map.
JagdFlanker

RE: War in the West Mod update

Post by JagdFlanker »

fantastic work!

Return to “Scenario Design”