WiTP vs. WPO??

Post tips and discuss strategies and tactics here.
SoopSandwich

WiTP vs. WPO??

Post by SoopSandwich »

Hello everyone,
I am looking to buy either WPO or WiTP, I can't get both right now. I did a search and saw that this subject was covered about two weeks ago and it seemed that the consensus was that if you liked air warfare that WiTP was a better fit and if you liked naval warfare WPO was a better fit. There has been only two weeks since then but I believe patches have come out for both? IS this still basically true after the patches? Also I see there is a mod War Plan Orange for WiTP, Is this mod and the real WPO compareable? I have thoroughly enjoyed reading the after action reviews which have really got me curious about these two games. I have been playing Battles in Normandy and Battles in Italy which seemed to be very different than WPO or WiTP but after reading the AAR's I want to get into the Pacific Theatre. ANy help would be appreciated in making my decision.

Thanks,
BillyO

(I also posted this in the WiTP forum hoping to get both sides of the story)
Bill Durrant

RE: WiTP vs. WPO??

Post by Bill Durrant »

Thought about this and having just done PBEM turns of both I would say buy WPO first. Quicker, cheaper and simpler. Then when you have mastered it jump forward some years and buy WitP and get usable aircraft, usable carriers and better ships all round. I think WPO is good preparation for WitP - wish I played them in that order.
Sunk by 35cm/45 1YT Gun - Near Singapore
rhondabrwn

Post by rhondabrwn »

ORIGINAL: Bill Durrant

Thought about this and having just done PBEM turns of both I would say buy WPO first. Quicker, cheaper and simpler. Then when you have mastered it jump forward some years and buy WitP and get usable aircraft, usable carriers and better ships all round. I think WPO is good preparation for WitP - wish I played them in that order.

I think that is really good advice. WPO is also a game that you can actually finish in a reasonable time. WiTP scenario 15 AAR's seem to run for years. Once you get the WPO mechanics down, you will be quite comfortable moving on to WiTP and it's greater complexity and scope.
Love & Peace,

Far Dareis Mai

My old Piczo site seems to be gone, so no more Navajo Nation pics :(
Terminus

Post by Terminus »

Heh! When I became a beta tester for WPO, I'd been playing WitP for a good while. The first WPO turns I ran were like, "Whoa! How fast did THAT go?"[8D]
We are all dreams of the Giant Space Butterfly.
jwilkerson

Post by jwilkerson »

And ... WPO is cheaper [:D]
AE Project Lead
New Game Project Lead
Terminus

Post by Terminus »

But then, so's most everything...[;)]
We are all dreams of the Giant Space Butterfly.
SoopSandwich

Post by SoopSandwich »

WOW! Thanks for the comments everyone although I don't think it has made my choice any easier. I wasn't expecting such opposite views! I think I may be leaning towards WPO. The comments for WPO were mostly neutral too semi-pro WPO. I think most were pleased with WPO and some liked that it was less complex. There was no polarity. I don't know I think the WWII era really interests me and the complexity of the game does too. Oh well I will think about it some more. Thanks again for your views and opinions!

BillyO
(this is my post from the WiTP forum)
it seemed you either love WiTP or hate it...
RedMike

Post by RedMike »

They're both great games but if I had to choose just one, I'd go with WPO. It's cool!

RedMike...out
Hannibal ad portas
Grell

Post by Grell »

I agree with you Mike both are great but WPO is my choice.
Anthropoid

Post by Anthropoid »

I own both. Bought WitP about a year ago, found it overwhelming, and temporarily lost interest. It is very complex and a lot to dive in to.

Bought WPO recently, and although it is also quite complex, have had a good time learning it, and it has really sucked me in. I think the advice above was right on. Play WPO first till you get bored with it then move on to WitP after the WPO engine is second nature.
The x-ray is her siren song. My ship cannot resist her long. Nearer to my deadly goal. Until the black hole. Gains control...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IkIIlkyZ ... playnext=3

Return to “The War Room”