CASTLES OF STEEL SCENARIO

War Plan Orange: Dreadnoughts in the Pacific 1922-1930, from the team that brought you War in the Pacific.

Moderator: Tankerace

Jorm

RE: CASTLES OF STEEL SCENARIO

Post by Jorm »

very cool, ive just reinstalled WPO and added the scenario, i hope ive installed all the bit to the correct folders

is there a description of the scenario ?

great work

kirk23

Post by kirk23 »

This is as close as it gets to being a world war,Japan has the Germans + Italians on her side,America,Britain & France also have a great many more ships and aircraft in the game,there is a short discription within the game at scenario start,very important make sure you have the final patch 6 installed also,its available in this forum thread enjoy![:)]

Anyone who downloads this scenario please make sure that you also download PATCH 6 as well,as this includes a few fixes plus more art work enjoy.

PATCH 6 LINK!!!!!

http://www.gamefront.com/files/21196762 ... ATCH+6.zip
Make it so!
kirk23

Post by kirk23 »

Typical in game ASW screen shot![8D]

Attachments
ASWCOMBATSCREEN.gif
ASWCOMBATSCREEN.gif (115.87 KiB) Viewed 344 times
Make it so!
kirk23

Post by kirk23 »

Another submarine combat screenshot.

Attachments
Submarinescreenshot.jpg
Submarinescreenshot.jpg (196.58 KiB) Viewed 344 times
Make it so!
kirk23

Post by kirk23 »

CASTLES OF STEEL COMPLETE INSTALL
( this includes all art work ships & aircraft + all updates all in one location,this now includes German never completed battlecruisers Ersatz Yorck class,plus some minor tweeks to the anti-submarine combat)

http://www.gamefront.com/files/21394566 ... ersion.zip
Make it so!
kirk23

Post by kirk23 »

Another Naval combat screen shot from CASTLES OF STEEL SCENARIO!

Attachments
Navalcomb..eenshot.jpg
Navalcomb..eenshot.jpg (194.38 KiB) Viewed 342 times
Make it so!
kirk23

Post by kirk23 »

Failed Submarine attack on Japanese dreadnought Fuso!

Attachments
FailedSub..htFuso.jpg
FailedSub..htFuso.jpg (97.32 KiB) Viewed 342 times
Make it so!
kirk23

Post by kirk23 »

Anyone have any more comments on CASTLES OF STEEL SCENARIO?
Make it so!
tex

Post by tex »

Hi Kirk,
Due to really severe time constraints these days (also known as Real Life), I have not been able to really dive into it yet. But that said, the most significant thing I have noticed so far is that since the Japs don´t have pre-formed task forces, the commander of the Philippines has much more time to get organized before the onslaught begins. I think it could be possible, if you move fast enough, to stop the Japs on the beaches. With me they managed to land but they haven´t come close to moving any further. Clark Field has been in no danger at all, and there is no way they can take Bataan.
As for the naval end of things, some very nice fleet actions after about the third turn. Good stuff!
Connfire

Post by Connfire »

ORIGINAL: kirk23

Anyone have any more comments on CASTLES OF STEEL SCENARIO?

I played about a month's worth of COS before I had to stop in January.

I think it can be interesting from a PBEM standpoint. Both sides fleets are massive, and the BBs in particular seem to be able to absorb much more damage then before. Even if the Japanese were to lose an entire battle fleet, it wouldn't necessarily be the end of the game for them, as they have a lot more where that came from (for once). With that in mind, I think logistics and grand strategy would become more important since neither side seems able to deliver a quick knock-out blow. The aircraft element is interesting too - the increased ranges and capability some of the aircraft changes things a bit, and I think I recall you saying that torpedoes and mines have been boosted, too. Quite a different game then stock WPO.
kirk23

Post by kirk23 »

Hiya Rob glad to see that you have resurfaced captain on the bridge!![:D]
Make it so!
kirk23

Post by kirk23 »

Here is another update of what I'm working on,as you know I mentioned that I was working on the new scenario PANDORA's BOX,well while working on the database I noticed a number of errors,that I have corrected for CASTLES OF STEEL scenario as well,I will upload a new update for CASTLES OF STEEL and as usual I have been very busy behind the scenes,adding quite abit more to the scenario plus new art work,should be ready for download first week in May!
Make it so!
Connfire

Post by Connfire »

Looking forward to it Kirk, thanks!
kirk23

Post by kirk23 »

Ok I'm getting really frustrated at the lack of free available art slots in the game database,there are far too many times that art files are used multiple times to show the same class off ship.It means 1 ship type can use up 4 or 5 art slots or more,when 1 art slot would suffice,it's a total waste of the 500 available art slots the game is restricted you too.It means that I can't expand the game much more,I've come to an impass.You can't change any art that is used in any stock scenario that comes with the game,because the numbered art file is locked to that ship,submarine whatever.So I'm left with no alternative but to call it quits with War Plan Orange,I have upgraded as far as the game will allow me at present time.It means I can't add all the things I have been wanting to add,which has left me frustrated and annoyed,to put it mildly I'm really pissed off!!!!!!

So sorry to say it's back to converting ADMIRALS EDITION to WAR PLAN ORANGE a huge undertaking that ain't going to get done in less than a years work!
Make it so!
kirk23

Post by kirk23 »

Here is a screen shot of an British ( E class ) destroyer,these along with many other new addition are in the expanded CASTLES OF STEEL SCENARIO & PANDORAS BOX SCENARIO when it is finnished.

Attachments
Newadditi..stroyers.jpg
Newadditi..stroyers.jpg (192.2 KiB) Viewed 345 times
Make it so!
Connfire

Post by Connfire »

Kirk,

Forgive me if I sound dumb, because I haven't played with the editor since late last year, but aren't all barriers removed once you save a scenerio to a non-stock number? And if that is the case, once that is done, can't the ship art numbers be changed at that point? I thought I recall doing that when I was messing around with it. And I agree with the multiple listings, by the way, that never made sense to me, either.
kirk23

Post by kirk23 »

Rob,
Yes you can copy a stock scenario and save it as something else,then you can renumber art files,and move things about,but the over riding problem is you still can't alter the stock art from there start points.If I change any art from the ones that the stock scenarios need,while editing a new scenario,it buggers up the art that gets displayed when you play a stock scenario in the future,so it means that of the 500 maximum ship art files that are available,the stock scenarios that are hard coded and can't be altered use up the vast majority of the available art.In a nutshell I have run out of free art space,if I alter any it screws up the stock files.My options are to do a duplicated the install off the game,and use this version for any future expanded scenarios that I create,this way I can allocate all off the available 500 art slots to my own needs.But this would mean that anyone who would like to play any of my future scenarios would also have to do a duplicate install of the game,because most things would not work.
Make it so!
Connfire

Post by Connfire »

I see now. I wasn't aware we were limited to 500 art slots, especially considering there are 1999 slots for classes in the editor.
kirk23

Post by kirk23 »

Rob,
There are quite alot of art that has still not been updated,and does not appear to be in use by either side,they look suspiciously like world war 2 ships.
Make it so!
Connfire

Post by Connfire »

I've noticed that too. Can they be put to use?

Return to “War Plan Orange: Dreadnoughts in the Pacific 1922 - 1930”