THIS IS A GREAT GAME!!!

Adanac's Strategic level World War I grand campaign game designed by Frank Hunter

Moderator: SeanD

MarkShot

THIS IS A GREAT GAME!!!

Post by MarkShot »

It is not dated. Considers most all factors. Play moves at a good clip. Supports 1080p well. You should read manual, release notes, and forum.

(I thought I would leave this post. As it is the only any one will come here. So, it should stay at top.)
2021 - Resigned in writing as a 20+ year Matrix Beta and never looked back ...
PaulAllen1982

Re: THIS IS A GREAT GAME!!!

Post by PaulAllen1982 »

I'm interested in this game but on the fence at the moment.
Have you played Strategic Command: WW1 and if so how does this game compare to that series?

From what I've seen, it looks like this doesn't have as much shuffling of individual unit counters as Strategic Command (which is what's attracting me to it!)

I'm looking for any youtube playthroughs or tutorials but haven't found any yet.
MarkShot

Post by MarkShot »

There is a guy who has been revisiting classics who did GOA recently.

https://www.youtube.com/live/3mSYN3V6NcI?feature=share

It is the only thing you are going to find on YouTube of it as it is too old/niche. (You would be better off reading the two stickied AARs.) However, as a presenter, he has moderate accent in English and is not a very dynamic. He is no Strategy Gaming Dojo. But you asked.

I don't have any of the SC titles, but I have looked at it on YouTube and read the manuals, and plan to get the bundle in 2 months when I get my 50% discount. (GOA is WEGO with a meta-shell of phases and impulse of a traditional TBS BG.)

You cannot swap units and unlike GG games there are no MPs. You can only move 1 hex per turn; unless strategic movement. You get rail points to represent this (not purchasable), but predefined for your national territory. This does allow a degree of long ground and sea movement of land units.

This is not a game of rapid movement, but if you win it is the result of slow and attritional grand strategy. WWI is well modeled. In my view, you win by making proper strategic choices at the top level like trying to starve Germany, and building aircraft. Why AC? You are almost totally blind, but AC are your eyes and can give you breakthroughs. But breakthroughs tend to lose momentum quickly due to the great advantage of defense over attack.

I hope that helps.
MarkShot

Post by MarkShot »

If you decide to get it. Let me know. The manual is not as thorough as say a GG title. I have an HTML with a list of threads I made that covers what is missing in the manual; about 50 threads. (I will PM you a zip.)

Return to “Guns of August 1914 - 1918”