sea units

Share your best strategies and tactics with other players by posting them here.
Immelmann

sea units

Post by Immelmann »

so i finished all the tutorials in the game, and none of them covered sea units. i have started the full campaign. cottonclad?? what on earth is that? lol. i see brigs and frigates. are these what i use to interdict with? can they perform land bombardments?

if there is a tutorial on using sea assets, can i get a link please? thanx
bobarossa

RE: sea units

Post by bobarossa »

I can answer a couple questions.

Both sides found early in the war that placing bales of cotton around the ship's superstructure would absorb a lot of the power from cannonball hits. It was much easier and quicker (especially for the south) to do that than build real ironclads. In the game, they are better than regular ships (check armor values for gunboats, brigs, frigates) but not as good as ironclads.

All ships have a blockade value you can find in their data (I forget where). I think the blockade squadrons may be the best ratio of blockade values to cost. However, I do build a number of brigs early as the north to get my blockade started. They take much less time to build.
Immelmann

Post by Immelmann »

that helps some. thanx. cotton clad i am still laughing at that one. i thought i knew a lot about the acw, but hand to god, i never heard of that one.

so, another question. as the csa, should i be building blockade runners to counter union blockades, or do i use brigs and frigates?
Ostwindflak

Post by Ostwindflak »

You won't win the ocean battle. It is best to not try and compete with the North on that front. War supplies, money, and men (all of which become more increasingly in short supply for the South as the war drags on)are best spent elsewhere.

I would build a few raiders to hit their trading ships, but not fight them outright. It is your game though, play how you wish, that is the fun in it.

Return to “The War Room”