Antietam - Concerted Effort - Vs. AI

Post descriptions of your brilliant victories and bitter defeats here.
mike1984

Antietam - Concerted Effort - Vs. AI

Post by mike1984 »

I wanted to get something going here, but since Gettysburg caused some bickering, I'll go with an Antietam scenario. This was the first Battleground game I ever purchased, way back in '97. It was actually at the 135th Antietam reenactment (I was a wee lad, 14 yrs old). I didn't even have a PC at home! but used it as an excuse for my family to finally get one. This was the coolest game I'd ever seen, especially since I loved the Civil War so much (was a reenactor from about '95-'99, but got too expensive).

Concerted Effort is an interesting scenario, but deceiving at that. You would think that it should be a cake walk, with so many Union forces ready from the start. But, many of them (XII Corps) are raw recruits that could rout easily. The trick with this one is to seize the advantage early, and exploit it as quickly as possible. But that's the problem, with only two divisions available at first, it sucks you into thinking the troops will be available to follow up any breakthrough. They probably won't be.

I will play this scenario against the AI, but ONLY UNTIL I GET A RESPONSE FROM A HUMAN OPPONENT in the "Opponents Wanted" section. However, I'd be willing to continue playing this game if enough of you would like to see it through with me.

All that being said, stay tuned for the first reports, once the division commanders can launch their initial assaults on the Dunker Church.
mike1984

5:00 AM

Post by mike1984 »

Reveille!

Attachments
AARANCEAI.jpg
AARANCEAI.jpg (332.83 KiB) Viewed 283 times
mike1984

RE: 5:00 AM

Post by mike1984 »

You have your orders... go.

Attachments
AARANCEAI5am1.jpg
AARANCEAI5am1.jpg (391.9 KiB) Viewed 283 times
mike1984

RE: 5:00 AM

Post by mike1984 »

Elements of I and XII Corps engage the enemy on the flanks of the attack.

I Corps, West Woods -
Hofmann's brigade discovers that Nicodemus Hill is occupied by not only Rebel artillery, but an infantry force, most likely Early's brigade from Jackson's II Corps. Meanwhile, advance skirmishers from the Iron Brigade probe towards the north edge of the West Woods.

XII Corps, East Woods -
Crawford's brigade observes and engages the first defensive line east of the Dunker Church. No artillery reported, but visibility is low. If Crawford can move quickly enough, he can engage and push the Rebel line back, before it can receive artillery support from the hill.

Attachments
AARANCEAI5am2.jpg
AARANCEAI5am2.jpg (363.37 KiB) Viewed 283 times
mike1984

5:20 AM

Post by mike1984 »

Meade's Division (3/I Corps) and Greene's Division (2/XII Corps) are released; both begin moving to the front lines.

***Most of the Federal guns are useless, as the morning visibility is only 1000 yards***

I Corps, West Woods/Nicodemus Hill -
Hofmann's brigade takes heavy losses, as the 95th NY makes an unsuccessful dash for the Rebel guns. Gibbon's Iron Brigade continues into heavy fire, including enfilading fire from Nicodemus Hill; the 2nd and 6th WI sustain heavy losses, but will hold until the second line (7th WI, 19th IN) comes up. Into the West Woods, Patrick's Brigade is lightly engaged with elements of Taliaferro's Rebel Brigade.

After initially considering sending Meade's Division into the West Woods, Hooker decides to move them onto the right flank of Gibbon's Iron Brigade. Magilton's and Anderson's Brigades will form the first line, and attack due west to seize the Rebel guns, clearing Nicodemus Hill. Seymour's Brigade will hold near the Hagerstown Turnpike.

No word on Rickett's Division.

I Corps casualties:
Iron Bde -325 total; 100 (2nd WI) in melee attack, 25 (6th WI) in melee defense
Hofmann -225 total; 150 (95th NY) in melee attack, 25 (7th IN) in defense

XII Corps, Mumma Cemetery/Miller Cornfield -
Crawford's left wing takes heavy causalties, as the Rebel guns from Dunker Hill pound away for more than 20 minutes. The entire 28th PA, and most of the 46th PA are destroyed in the action. On the right, Gordon's Brigade takes minimal losses, but fire from the West Woods is beginning to wear on the 3rd WI along the Hagerstown Pike.

Greene's Division begins to march south to relieve the left of Williams' Division. Tyndale's and Stainrook's Brigades will attack south, then turn west towards the Dunker Church. Goodrich's Brigade will hold in the East Woods as a reserve.

XII Corps casualties:
Crawford -200 (28th PA destroyed) total; 50 (46th PA) in melee defense
Gordon -100; 25 (2nd MA) in melee defense

Attachments
AARANCEAI520am1.jpg
AARANCEAI520am1.jpg (388.29 KiB) Viewed 283 times
mike1984

5:40 AM

Post by mike1984 »

Meade's Division attacks Nicodemus Hill; Williams' Division regains momentum down the Hagerstown Turnpike.

***Most Federal guns are still out of visible range of Rebel positions***

Hofmann's brigade falls back in disarray, towards the North Woods. Gibbon's Iron Brigade holds the center of I Corps' line; falls back to the second line near the stone wall. Patrick's Brigade inflicts heavy casualties upon Taliaferro's Brigade.

Anderson's Brigade is the first to assault Nicodemus Hill from the east, succeeding in dispersing one Rebel battery and one infantry regiment. Once Magilton's Brigade can get in line, the force should be enough to clear the hill. If needed, Seymour's Brigade can come up from its reserve position; otherwise, it will be made available for action later on.

I Corps casualties:
Anderson -150
Gibbon -50

Williams' Division will shift to the north and west, and refocus its attack down the Hagerstown Turnpike towards the Dunker Church. Crawford's Brigade brings up the 10th ME, which was held back as a reserve. Gordon's Brigade swings west, and seizes the Rebel Rockbridge Battery in an unplanned charge by the 107th PA and 27th IN. The attack successfully broke a hole in the Rebel line, and will be followed up by 6 a.m.

Greene's Division gets mostly on line, as Tyndale's Brigade sweeps south and west towards the Mumma Farm. However, Greene's advance is met by Trimble's Brigade, which has launched a counter attack on Crawford's crumbling left flank. Stainrook's ability to support Tyndale will be crucial in the next 20 minutes.

XII Corps casualties:
Crawford -75
Gordon -100, 25 (107th PA) in melee attack (w/ 27th IN) Captures Rockbridge Arty

Attachments
AARANCEAI540.jpg
AARANCEAI540.jpg (417.1 KiB) Viewed 283 times
mike1984

6:00 AM

Post by mike1984 »

Meade's Division gains ground; Artillery roars to life.

***Finally, enough daylight to open up the Federal guns***

Early's Rebel Brigade on the hill is taking some heavy casualties, as are the Rebel guns on the north face of the hill. Artillery fire from the east is battering the Rebels west of the Turnpike. Magilton's Brigade joins Anderson's, already attacking up Nicodemus Hill. Despite lethal enfilading fire from the south, Magilton redirects the attack, charges up the hill, and pushes the Rebel infantry off the summit. Anderson follows suit. Meade's attack on Nicodemus Hill is nearly a success; but in the next 20 minutes, it will take Seymour's reserve brigade to exploit the breach. Can they arrive in time?

Doubleday's Division is still bogged down in the West Woods, but doing quite well against increasing pressure. The artillery fire from the North Woods is helping distract the Rebel guns that were once pounding Doubleday's men. This allows Patrick's relatively unharmed brigade to charge and push back Taliaferro's Rebel Brigade, capturing its commander Warren. Fire from Btty L, 1st NY wounds Rebel commander Starke.

Hooker's Corps is moving forward, but could really use the help from Rickett's Brigade. There is still no word on that unit's release time.

I Corps casualties:
Anderson -25
Magilton -275; 150 (3rd PA Res); 50 (7th PA Res - 25, 8th PA Res - 25) in melee attack
Patrick -50; 25 (21st NY) in melee attack (w/ full Bde); CSA Warren captured

After capturing the Rebel battery, Gordon's and Crawford's Brigades form a solid line parallel to Rebel positions outside the West Woods and along the Hagerstown Turnpike. Gordon is considering a strong push forward, seeing that the Rebel line is growing weaker. That will depend heavily on what goes on to the south and east, as Greene's Division, led by Tyndale's Brigade, repels Trimble's counterattack. Within minutes of advancing on Trimble, Tyndale and Stainrook break the Rebels, who flee back to Dunker Hill. Goodrich's reserve brigade is moving into position for a large offensive to capture the Rebel guns and Dunker Hill.

The availability of Federal artillery support has made a significant positive impact, taking the focus away from the Union infantry, as well as inflicting losses on Rebel artillery.

XII Corps casualties:
Crawford -50; 25 (128th PA) in melee defense
Tyndale -75; 25 (5th OH) in melee attack (w/ 7th, 66th OH)
Stainrook -25

Attachments
AARANCEAI600.jpg
AARANCEAI600.jpg (387.58 KiB) Viewed 283 times
mike1984

6:20 AM

Post by mike1984 »

(this is going to be the shorthand version... better next time, I promise)

Nicodemus Hill falls, XII Corps advances on Dunker Church.

Seymour's Brigade is called up to support the attack on Nicodemus Hill. Meade's Division is pushing the Rebels off the summit, and should have control by 7 a.m. Doubleday's Division holds north of the West Woods.

I Corps casualties:
Seymour -75; 50 (6th PA Res) in melee attack... w/...
Anderson -25 (12th PA Res) in melee attack (w/ entire Bde)
Magilton -100

XII Corps, Mumma Farm/Miller Cornfield -
Williams' Division consolidates along the Hagerstown Turnpike, inflicting a large number of Rebel casualties. Greene's Division advances west towards the church.

Most of the Rebels south of the cornfield are falling back.

XII Corps casualties:
Crawford -25
Gordon -150; 100 (13th NJ) in melee attack
Tyndale -50
Stainrook -25
Goodrich -75; 50 (3rd DE) in melee attack

Other losses:
Btty B, NY Lt -1

Attachments
AARANCEAI620.jpg
AARANCEAI620.jpg (424.01 KiB) Viewed 283 times
mike1984