Gettysburg: Hebert vs Hardee

Post descriptions of your brilliant victories and bitter defeats here.
nealjhebert

Gettysburg: Hebert vs Hardee

Post by nealjhebert »

Rob and I have started the Battle of Gettysburg, with myself playing as the North.

The screenshot reflects the battlefield following the 2nd Union movement phase. Based on observations by the 12th Illinois Cavalry on Herr Ridge, advance elements of Heth's division appear to be approaching with the lead brigade advancing up the Chambersburg Pike, and the trailing brigade diverting to advance up the unfinished railroad cut. The 12th will continue to observe the rebel deployment until it's obvious they would be overrun, at which time they will retreat and join the rest of the division.

My plan is to await the approach of the Rebels on the reverse slope of Herr Ridge, which hopefully will allow my cavalry to engage first at point-blank range with support from the artillery unit positioned on the ridge at McPherson's farm. As the position becomes threatened Buford will conduct a fighting withdrawal to the woods southwest of McPherson's farm.

I've ordered the 3rd West Virginia Cavalry to deploy wide to the left, approaching (observed) the Rebel rear and appearing to threaten the supply wagons which will be appearing shortly. With luck this will get Rob wondering how much of my cavalry is in the area and force him to retain part of his infantry in the rear to counter this threat. Any reduction in forward combat forces will make Buford's job easier.

This is my first PBEM battle, and I'm excited to see if I can hang in there.

Attachments
Gettysburg.gif
Gettysburg.gif (313.36 KiB) Viewed 360 times
nealjhebert

RE: Gettysburg: Hebert vs Hardee

Post by nealjhebert »

First contact occurred at 0820, with the 12th Illinois being engaged by Archer's Brigade. After an exchange of small arms fire resulting in BG Archer being wounded, three rebel regiments unsuccessfully attempted to carry the position by melee. The 12th Illinois suffered 75 casualties, inflicting 50 on the rebels, and has withdrawn in good order to join the rest of the division. Contact with Davis' Brigade is expected shortly.

A screenshot will be posted once the rebel forces come into view and the situation becomes a bit more clear.

Neal.....
nealjhebert

Post by nealjhebert »

Hello to any observers,

We're having a technical problem with my zip files, which we're trying to resolve. Hopefully we will get moving again soon. As I stated earlier, this is my first PBEM and I'm still getting the hang of it [:(]

Neal.....
nealjhebert

Post by nealjhebert »

At 0900 the Confederates advanced in pursuit of the retreating 12th Illinois Cavalry and were surprised to find Buford's division deployed and ready for action far forward of where they were expected. In the exchange of fire which followed the Rebels lost a second brigade commander, with BG Davis killed. I then made a minor adjustment in my lines in an attempt to beef up and refuse my right flank should the heavier regiments of Davis' brigade attempt an assault. Archer's brigade has been roughly handled, suffering about 400 casualties (35%) thus far.

Buford's position is not in the line-of-sight of the two unlimbered Rebel artillery batteries, and should be in no danger from other batteries until at least 0940 at which time I plan to begin moving back to the previously mentioned positions.

The 3rd West Virginia, originally designed to be a diversion, appears to have escaped detection. I've moved them closer to the Pike using the terrain to mask their movement, and I plan on holding them there until approximately 1000. They will then advance down the pike in the rear of the Rebels and attempt to capture Heth's division trains. The loss of two brigade commanders and their ammunition would not be a good start for Heth's boys.

Lead elements of Wadsworth's division are on the Turnpike between Gettysurg and Seminary Ridge and should be in position near McPherson's farm at about 1000. I apologize, but I messed up the screen shot and will include one with the next post.

Neal.....
nealjhebert

Post by nealjhebert »

The 0920 turn saw the Rebel infantry seemingly content to form up in advance of the unlimbering artillery batteries to protect the guns from my cavalry. A minimum amount of small arms fire was exchanged, resulting in 25 Union and 50 Confederate casualties. Rob's artillery did a nice counter-battery effort, however, destroying two of my guns on the ridge at McPherson's Farm. I need this battery to hold on for another turn or two for fire support and observation of enemy movements.

The screenshot shows the current positions as I see them. At the top is the 3rd West Virginia awaiting an opportunity to capture Heth's division trains. I've also shown again the planned position for Buford's division once they are pulled back. Lead elements of Cutler's brigade are visible at the bottom, and will assume positions on the reverse slope of the ridge at McPherson's farm. The Iron Brigade will be held in reserve until I can determine where the follow-on brigades of Heth's division will deploy.

I look forward to any comments,

Neal.....

Attachments
Gettysburg.gif
Gettysburg.gif (305.43 KiB) Viewed 363 times
nealjhebert

Post by nealjhebert »

1000 saw mixed results for the Union. The 3rd West Virginia's attempt to locate and capture Heth's division trains was ambushed and eliminated by a 500(+) regiment, probably from Pettigrew's brigade. The good news being that there are at least 500 fewer rebel infantry pressing down on the rest of Buford's division. Nothing risked, nothing gained.

Rob began repositioning artillery batteries, probably attempting to gain a better vantage point over Buford's positions and I decided the time was ripe to begin moving to the rear. Two disrupted regiments are positioned as a rear guard, of sorts, and Buford's troops are withdrawing. Cutler is in position on the rear slope near McPherson's farm, and the Iron Brigade is being held until the Confederate intentions are determined.

Neal.....
Ashantai

Post by Ashantai »

Watching this with interest. :)
nealjhebert

Post by nealjhebert »

A note: Rob has expressed interest in running his own AAR on our battle. I told him how I'm including the screen shots, however he may need a better explanation. Any help from one of our members would be appreciated [:)]

As of 1020:

Elements of two of Heth's brigades are visible across the valley southeast of Herr's Tavern and deployed to the right of the Turnpike. The location of the other two is unknown, however based on the orientation of Pettigrew's regiments when they arrived they are probably forward of the eastern-most artillery battery on the reverse slope or even attempting to advance unseen on my right flank. I've moved MG Reynolds (I Corps) to a vantage point where he might observe evidence of a flanking movement on my left.

One of Buford's regiments (9th New York) sustained casualties, routed, and is now safely to the rear of the division. The rest of the division is withdrawing as planned, however disruption or a lack of sufficient movement points left two regiments still visible and exposed to fire. One of the two (6th New York, highlighted by cursor) suffered about 75 additional casualties and I won't be surprised to see them rout soon.

Wadsworth's Division (I Corps) has Cutler's brigade still deployed on the rear slope of McPherson's Farm, with the Iron Brigade (Meredith) awaiting instructions approximately 500 meters to their rear.

Robinson's Division (I Corps) is approaching Gettysburg. My initial plans are to utilize this division against the rebel II Corps, due to begin arriving in two hours. My proposed defensive line will run along the stream immediately north of the town, however events on the other side of the battlefield could affect these plans.

Casualties:
Union: 375 cavalry, 2 cannon
Confederate: 650 infantry, 2 brigade commanders

Attachments
Gettysburgpic.gif
Gettysburgpic.gif (260.59 KiB) Viewed 361 times
nealjhebert

Post by nealjhebert »

Hi Ashantai,

I hope it's worth the reading lol
nealjhebert

Post by nealjhebert »

1040:

A third brigade of Heth's division appeared over the crest and is deploying north of the turnpike. MG Reynolds (I Corps) observed no movement on the left flank and still no activity noted to the right either. Rob may have simply taken the time to reorganize disrupted units and await the arrival of Pender's Division beginning at 1100.

No action of significance occured, simply sporadic small arms fire and some artillery fire missions which destroyed another of my cannon.

1) Buford's division is now fully withdrawn, and as expected the 6th New York (Devin) routed. 50 survivors of the regiment are now collocated with Col Devin and the 9th New York in the division rear.

2) Wadsworth's division (I Corps) remains deployed as before.

3) Robinson's division (I Corps) is approaching the outskirts of Gettysburg.

4) Doubleday's division (I Corps) has arrived and is advancing down the Hagerstown Road. Stone's brigade will provide flank security for the division trains and the accompanying artillery battery.

Casualties:
Union: 400 cavalry, 3 cannon
Confederate: 675 infantry, 2 brigade commanders (Archer, Davis)

I haven't explained my strategy yet. My near-term goal is to inflict as many casualties on the lead elements of the Army of Northern Virginia as possible while keeping my exposure to their advantage in artillery to a minimum utilizing reverse slopes, wooded areas, and other terrain features.

My left wing will consist of Doubleday, Wadsworth, and Buford. They will conduct a forward defense until the confederate II Corps begins to arrive on their right, at which time they will attempt to break contact and withdraw to consolidate with the right wing.

My right wing will consist of the XI Corps, with Robinson's division (I Corps) attached to support the defense against the rebel II Corps. I understand that XI Corps isn't the most robust organization, however it's what I have to work with lol. They will defend on the immediate outskirts of Gettysburg, with Robinson's division on their left flank. My intent is to focus much of my artillery support on this sector in order to break up the II Corps advance.

I hope everyone enjoys the battle [:D]
nealjhebert

Post by nealjhebert »

As of 1120 Heth's division begins advancing. Probably the two heavier brigades (Davis and Pettigrew) appear to be deployed generally to the confederate left of the Pike. A cavalry reconnaisaince mission I deployed, however, came under fire from previously unobserved infantry from one of the other brigades well to the right of the pike, however this may have just been deployed as flank security. I apologize because my screenshot was taken before these units were detected. On a sad note, the artillery battalion deployed at McPherson's Farm has been taken out of action after losing 5 guns and having the last gun crew killed by small arms fire. I lose their view of the battle.

The screenshot shows Rowley's brigade (Doubleday) on the left, with the penned red circle showing the position of the infantry elements on Heth's right which took my cavalry patrol under fire. Buford's cavalry (left) and Cutler's brigade (right) are deployed near McPherson's Farm, and the Iron Brigade is preparing to support any immediate assault on the position.

nealjhebert

Post by nealjhebert »

Situation Report as of the conclusion of the Union 1140 phase:

The uncrewed artillery piece at McPherson's farm was destroyed by an artillery fire mission. I suppose Rob really didn't want me to recrew that weapon lol. To compensate the for the loss of observation, I did manage to get the 25 remaining cavalrymen of the 6th New York to high ground, which observed the confederate forces seen in the screen shot.

The 3 regiments in the left box are from Brockenbrough's brigade, and their deployment indicates they're providing security for Heth's right flank. The right box is where the brigades of at least Davis and Pettigrew are located. Archer's brigade took a bit of punishment in the first contact and is probably in reserve. There were at least 3-4 artillery battalions unlimbered in the vicinity of Herr Tavern earlier, and I'm guessing they're still there. I have no indication of Pender's location, however he has certainly had enough time to reach the battle area.

I'm 95% certain my deployments have been unobserved thus far, and Rob may be wondering why he hasn't seen Doubleday's division moving down the Hagerstown Road yet. Best scenario has him worried about an attack from his right rear and deploying units from Pender's division to guard against this. At a minimum I'd guess Archer's brigade is deployed to detect any movement from that direction.

My strategy on the right remains the same. Stay concealed, get the first punches in, and punish his units before they can return fire. I may end up failing miserably in the end, but it's too late for a change of plans at this point.

Neal.....

Attachments
Gettysburgpic.gif
Gettysburgpic.gif (314.43 KiB) Viewed 362 times
nealjhebert

Post by nealjhebert »

Situation Report: 1200 hours

The tentative confederate advance continues, however my deployments have been discovered, at least in part. Elements of Brockenbrough's and Archer's brigades, comprising the right flank of Heth's division, advanced ran into Buford's cavalry in McPherson's Woods. This also caused the deployment of Rowley's brigade (Doubleday) to become visible, and as an unprotected artillery battery presented itself I decided to engage it before it could be deployed and recieve infantry support. 4 cannon were destroyed.

Knowing that the brigades of Davis and Pettigrew were moving around to right of Cutler's brigade (Wadsworth), I deployed a regiment of the Iron Brigade to prevent the rebels stumbling into the rear of Cutler's position. This regiment came under small arms fire from a regiment of rebel infantry accompanied by an artillery battery, as yet unlimbered, which had been unobserved.

My cavalry reconnaissance mission advanced toward Herr Ridge to determine if any of Pender's division was moving in that area and nearly ran into the regiments of at least one of what is likely Pender's brigades in column. I'm uncertain at this time of the true nature of this deployment, however it's possibly an effort to locate Doubleday's division. Another infantry regiment in column was observed on the Pike between Herr Tavern and McPherson's Farm and probably also a subordinate of Pender.

If anyone cares to provide input, how often would you like to see updates? By turn, hourly, does anyone care? lol

Attachments
Gettysburgpic.gif
Gettysburgpic.gif (297.25 KiB) Viewed 362 times
nealjhebert

Post by nealjhebert »

Situation Report as of 1220:

The Union left wing is somewhat heavily engaged, however it hasn't turned into a knife-fight yet, and Pender's deployment has become much clearer. The cavalry reconnaissance was immediately surrounded and elimated by what appears to have been 2 brigades-worth of infantry. The loss of observation hurts, but I believe this was meant to counter the threat of Doubleday's division appearing on his flank. Proof of this is the fact that elements of Perrin's brigade are in contact along the Pike at McPherson's Farm.

The hight (or low) light of my action was attempt to isolate and destroy the 26th North Carolina Infantry Regiment (Pettigrew) in close combat with 3 regiments of the Iron Brigade. The attempt to carry the battle by close combat was unsuccessful, however the unit will be isolated (and routed?) unless Rob can relieve them. I thought the opportunity to elimate a 800+ man regiment was too big to pass up.

Overall my lines are intact, and the diversion of what appear to be two of Pender's brigades to chase a ghost reduces the danger one more tuirn.

Neal.....

Attachments
Gettysburgpic.gif
Gettysburgpic.gif (292.25 KiB) Viewed 362 times
nealjhebert

Post by nealjhebert »

We continue to have sporadic problems with the zip files, and after trying to rezip my last turn I felt there was no option but to reload Rob's last turn. I hated doing this, as new die rolls could result in different results for my offensive fire and melee phases.

My movement phase was made exactly as before, as was my offensive fire and melee phases. The biggest turn of events is that the assault on Heth's left flank against the 26th North Carolina Infantry Regiment was successful this time, with BG Pettigrew captured and the loss of 600 infantry to overstacking or zone of control. Perhaps I should have not made the melee a second time, however this could also have been seeing as changing because it was unsuccessful the first time around.

I've advised Rob of what happened and am waiting to see how he wants to proceed. [:(]
nealjhebert

Post by nealjhebert »

Rob's reply was basically he feels it doesn't matter because he's outclassed. I don't believe this to be the case, and there's a lot of fighting left to be done.

I've offered a restart if he'd like, but for now it seems we'll continue.
nealjhebert

Post by nealjhebert »

It looks like it will be a restart after all. Rob feels the game is lost, although I did point out to him (correctly, I believe) that Heth's division had their butts handed to them historically to the point of withdrawing to Herr Ridge to await help from Pender's division. The success these two enjoyed later was in large part due to the collapse of the Union's right flank.

In any case, I've enjoyed my first PBEM experience and playing a person instead of the AI. I do look forward to any comments on how I performed in the morning and what I might have done differently.

Return to “After Action Reports”