AAR WbtS Gen. Whitehead vs Gen. Collins

Post descriptions of your brilliant successes and unfortunate demises.

Moderators: Joel Billings, PyleDriver

kennonlightfoot

RE: AAR WbtS Gen. Whitehead vs Gen. Collins

Post by kennonlightfoot »

[font="times new roman"]Sep 1862[/font]
[font="times new roman"] [/font]
[font="times new roman"]Things pretty much went as I expected.  My attack into Humbolt resulted in a victory.  Lee inflicting heavy losses including some 260 guns.  Which brings up just how loses are taken in this game.  Since the game has units as the finest grain of casualties it must take losses as units.  What it does is treat a unit as a two step loss for casualty purposes if it isn’t untrained.  If a unit takes a one step loss it is considered damaged and is removed to the nearest (sort of) production area for replacement the next turn.  In the process it consumes supply and population points (1/6th of normal cost for new militia unit).  Militia units on the other hand are destroyed by a one step loss.  So the actual results reported for the Battle of Humbolt were:[/font]
[font="times new roman"]Damaged:  15 Inf, 10 Field Guns and 1 Cavalry.[/font]
[font="times new roman"]Destroyed:  1 Inf, 2 Militia, 1 Field Gun, and 5 Heavy Guns[/font]
[font="times new roman"]Captured:  1 Field Gun and 1 Heavy Gun[/font]
[font="times new roman"]The Heavy Guns were loss because they can’t retreat.  Normally I wouldn’t use them in field armies but the Union player is stuck with the AI production which keeps making them even though they are useless to the Union player.[/font]
[font="times new roman"]Note that when an army retreats there is a potential for the victor to capture guns.  In this case I picked up two units.  To add insult to injury my forces turn around and used the heavy gun for ship bombardment sinking one of their gunboats.[/font]
[font="times new roman"]September being the last month of summer campaign season it isn’t surprising that the Union goes on the offensive.  They apparently weren’t lucky with initiatives but the all important Grant got it and invaded Nashville.  My little army under Van Dorn, outnumbered two to one, didn’t have much of a chance but did give a stand up fight.  They inflicted almost 15,000 casualties along with 30 guns hit at the cost of only 6,520 men.  But Grant won and my gamble of leaving a force in Nashville didn’t pay off.  All I did was give the enemy a victory to balance against Lee’s.  But we end September with the Union Political Points well below the 1000 they need.  And to make the attack it doesn’t look like they reinforced Paducah sufficiently.[/font]
[font="times new roman"]So Lee goes once more on the offensive this time entering Northern territory by advancing into Paducah, KY.  In the East things are quiet so Beauregard goes on the move as well advancing against Jacksonville.[/font]
[font="times new roman"]Hopefully these two offensives will succeed without problems and winter will shut down any serious response by the Union.  My guns in the forts on the Mississippi were too much for the Union navy so they withdrew opening the Mississippi for trade once more.  Maybe I will even have surplus supply next turn.[/font]
Kennon
kennonlightfoot

[font="times new roman"]Posted by Gen. Collins:[/font]
[font="times new roman"]September 1862 - A crisis in the [/i]Union[/i] is at hand! [/i][/font]
[font="times new roman"] [/font][/i]
[font="times new roman"]Jefferson Davis, alarmed at the affairs in [/i]Kentucky[/i] orders Robert E. Lee west to take command of confederate forces in [/i]Northern Mississippi[/i]. Lee, ever the bold commander marches north and engages Nathaniel Lyon's army and drives him out of [/i]Paducah[/i] [/i]Kentucky[/i]. Confederate forces are once more on the [/i]Ohio river[/i].[/i][/font]
[font="times new roman"]Grant, ever on the offensive defeats the Rebel army defending Nashville, but Lee's victory at [/i]Paducah[/i] has undermined [/i]Kentucky[/i] going over to the [/i]Union[/i].[/i][/font]
[font="times new roman"]On other fronts the news is bad. Gen. Beauregard drives the Union army out of [/i]Jacksonville[/i] [/i]Florida[/i] and Gen. Banks pulls a 'Cornwallis' by getting himself captured.[/i][/font]
[font="times new roman"]Lincoln[/i] is forced to call another draft of soldiers and the opposition press is having a field day. The [/i]Lincoln[/i] administrations popularity drops by 50.[/i][/font]
[font="times new roman"]The Union commanders demoralized by events all over the nation refuse to move their commands. The Union army is in a rut. In an attempt to salvage the situation the Union Navy has launched a supreme effort at the mouth of the [/i]Mississippi[/i]. Will they be successful? The nation feverishly looks on.[/i][/font]
[font="times new roman"]Bg. General Gilbert Collins
Army of [/i]Alabama[/i][/font]
[font="times new roman"]
III/I/2nd Brigade[/font]
[/i]
Kennon
kennonlightfoot

[font="times new roman"]Oct 1862[/font][/b]
[font="times new roman"]The news from my offensives launched in September were all good.  Beauregard took Jacksonville without any trouble and Lee after a hard fight drove Lyon out of Paducah.  Besides securing a much needed port and region this should put considerable pressure on my opponent to withdraw troops from Grant’s huge army in central Tennessee.[/font]
[font="times new roman"]The first winter turn sees the Yankees only taking on minor operations.  They take advantage of the almost complete lack of opposition to seize another piece of Kentucky sending troops into London regions but Kentucky is still neutral since I have Paducah.  This means its treated as enemy territory for the occupying troops which reduces their chance of initiative and increases other costs.  Down south the Union navy tries again to take Fort St. Philip and permanently close the Mississippi.  But I have quite a force there now including eight heavy guns.  The amphibious assault is thrown back and two ships damaged.  In other areas Union gunboats take out my one heavy gun at Shiloh but my heavy guns in Humbolt damage one of their gunboats.[/font]
[font="times new roman"]My string of successful offensives in the West by Gen. Lee have offset Grant’s successes and put pressure on the Union manpower pool.  There number of active brigades falling to the lowest since January of 1862 while mine are at their highest thanks to the good recruitment year of 1862.  For once they don’t out number me by two to one, just 1.5:1.  Gen. Collins finally gives in and makes a draft call.  But this with my victories pulls his political point pool down to 840.  The draft will lower his militia cost to six PP for two months but then it will be 1863 and if his PP pool is still below 850 it will jump up to 27 plus the post draft penalty.  The pressure will be on for the Union to accomplish major victories in spring of 63.[/font]
[font="times new roman"]My problem on the other hand is supply.  Without more I can’t build fortifications around Richmond and Chattanooga that I will need to protect these areas and keep my armies free to maneuver.  I need to figure out how the supply systems work and what I can do to reduce the costs to my armies otherwise attrition is going to destroy my armies faster than the Yankees during winter.[/font]
[font="times new roman"]Attrition is a percentage probability calculation that uses a formula:[/font]
[font="times new roman"]((W+E)xS)/T[/font]
[font="times new roman"]where:[/font]
[font="times new roman"]  W = 2 for winter (1 otherwise)[/font]
[font="times new roman"]   E  = 1 if in enemy territory (0 otherwise)[/font]
[font="times new roman"]   S  = 5 if unit unsupplied (1 otherwise)[/font]
[font="times new roman"]   T =  1 for all but militia and mounted units which is 2.[/font]
[font="times new roman"]As you can see being unsupplied in winter is really bad for most of my units having a 8% chance of attrition.  Note the “E” factor though.  Grants huge army in Nashville is going to have some bad days especially if I can get off some good cavalry raids to tear up railroads and destroy supplies.  He could face a base check of 5% with supplies.[/font]
Kennon
kennonlightfoot

[font="times new roman"]Post by Gen. Collins:[/font]
[font="times new roman"] [/font]
[font="times new roman"]NEWS FLASH - THE WASHINGTON DAILY INTELLIGENCER [/font]
[font="times new roman"]The radical newspapers are openly attacking the Lincoln administration now that the great naval attack at Ft. St. Phillipe has been repulsed. [/font]
[font="times new roman"]Halleck in a desperate move to try and bolster the government has sent a second expedition to the fort under Gen. McDowell. Lincoln was quoted as saying "if the expedition fails I feel the water is out of the tub".[/font]
[font="times new roman"]Northern commanders continue in their lethargy and now openly refuse to move, claiming the campaigning season is over.[/font]
[font="times new roman"]Will some commander come forward to save the Union![/font]
[font="times new roman"]Seriously, I am finding the naval/bombardment rules a little confusing. I amassed a gigantic fleet to bombard Fort St. Phillipe to support the infantry assault. But when I attempted to bombard I got a message to the effect "cannot bombard while friendly forces present". So I'm not sure what I'm supposed to do there.[/font]
Army of Alabama[/font]
[font="times new roman"]
III/I/2nd Brigade[/font]

[font="times new roman"]Comment posted by Gen. Nelms:[/font]
[font="times new roman"]Send the fleet in first and do your bombardment and then move the infantry in. If you reverse the order then you get the result you got. [/font]
[font="times new roman"]General Mark Nelms
6/3/IX/AoO
"Blackhawk Brigade"
Union Military Academy[/font]
[font="times new roman"] Instructor
Union Cabinet Secretary[/font]
Kennon
kennonlightfoot

[font="times new roman"]Nov 1862[/font][/b]
[font="times new roman"]The Union made a lot of probing attacks some of which I don’t know the purpose of.  The one against Ft. St. Philip was another test of tactics for naval and land combined operations but did not work.  A small forces attempted to test my troop levels in Charleston, W.Va. and found them sufficient.  A small force moved against New Kent, I guess to see if all of the ANV would react.  I just sent D. H. Hill and his command to turn them back.  There some scattered gunboat actions between ships and forts but of no consequence.  All and all a very calm month.[/font]
[font="times new roman"]On the supply front though I am hurting bad.  I had almost as many units damaged by attrition as we recruited this turn.  I still haven’t found a way to get my supply in balance.  Part of the problem is I don’t control my production (AI handles) and it doesn’t seem to be over concerned with it.  But I can’t build fortifications unless I have a surplus.  Until I do Richmond is very vulnerable.[/font]
Kennon
kennonlightfoot

[font="times new roman"]Dec 1862[/font]
[font="times new roman"]The Union makes a major attack to retake Paducah.  Lee responds but may be badly out numbered this time.  My cavalry hasn’t been able to penetrate Cairo due to winter so I the force moving against me has a big “?” counter meaning I don’t know what size the force is other than its more than 10 Infantry units.  Unfortunately it turns out to be considerably more.  Lyon moves with some 60,000 men and 240 guns.  Lee’s force of 45,000 with 280 guns is out matched but my veteran troops may still pull it off.  It’s a hard fought battle with heavy casualties to both side, some 15,000 each.  But in the end Lee must retreat and the Yankee’s again hold Paducah and threaten Memphis.[/font]
[font="times new roman"]The Union changes its tactics in its bid to take New Orleans.  They bypass the forts and move an ironclad fleet directly against New Orleans shelling it’s small force of heavy guns which were in transit to the forts.[/font]
[font="times new roman"]Other than sending a small force against Rolla, MO just to see if they left enough troops there, most of my moves are defensive in nature.  Replacements go to Lee to make up for his losses.  I send Pope down to New Orleans along with a few heavy guns to try to organize a defense.  I am not sure the Union can do more than attack my guns without clearing the forts first.[/font]
[font="times new roman"]I am still out of supply so attrition is destroying my men as fast as I can raise them.  The Mississippi ports are closed.  The successes of summer seem to be slipping away with winter.[/font]
[font="times new roman"]Side note:  The Unit display which shows a summary of all unit types for both side in game, appears to give actual numbers.  This is how I have been tracking the size of the overall Union forces.  This turn it took a mighty drop from 248 Infantry in Nov to 204.  This put into question my assumption that it shows both sighted and unsighted units.  But it also shows more than I know I can see.  There is a little mystery here, hopefully I can come up with an answer.[/font][/i]
Kennon
kennonlightfoot

[font="times new roman"]Post by Gen. Collins:[/font]
[font="times new roman"]The failure of the Amphibious invasions has dealt a catastrophic blow to Union morale and prestige abroad. Although the Confederacy is still completely blockaded, and supplies can only come in via Blockade runners, failure to land Union forces on the Rebel coasts is playing havoc with the political situation. [/font]
[font="times new roman"]General Lyon receives the personal thanks of Lincoln for driving Robert E. Lee back and out of Paducah Kentucky. The Union navy continues to dominate the waters of the Ohio and Tennessee Rivers.[/font]
[font="times new roman"]Emancipation of the slaves is not possible. The abolitionists in the north are screaming for Lincoln's resignation but without the political points at 1000 Lyon's victory in the west is hollow.[/font]
[font="times new roman"]Winter is having it's effect on both armies as units suffer attrition and some have to disband. The Navy is not without it's casualties as constant blockade in all weather claims it's share of men and ships.[/font]

Army of
[/font][font="times new roman"]Alabama[/font][font="times new roman"]
III/I/2nd Brigade[/font]
Kennon
kennonlightfoot

[font="times new roman"]State of the Disunion[/font]
[font="times new roman"]It having been a year and a half of war and a new year starting (1862/1863) I thought I would give a summary of what has happen and what I see coming.[/font]
[font="times new roman"]Throughout the half year of 1861 the Confederate cause looked bleak.  The Union army was growing by leaps and bounds almost out number the Rebels by 3 to 1.  The South had a huge coast line to defend against seemingly unlimited ability of the Union to drop troops in.  The Rebel attempt to claim Kentucky for the most part backfired allowing Union troops to move easily into key areas.  The command situation in the South was a disaster.  I had neither enough generals qualified to fill in the commands but lacked effective leaders at all levels.  To make things worse I lost my two best commanders, Jackson and Longstreet, over the course of the year.[/font]
[font="times new roman"]1862 started look like the Union would be unstoppable but as better leaders like Lee became available and my recruitment began filling my army’s ranks things started going the Confederate way.  I was able to restrict the Union in the West to just Kentucky and block every move into Virginia.  Almost all the attempts at amphibious landings were turned back and the few that made it ashore were later driven off.  Most of the year New Orleans was held and more importantly the Mississippi River access for trade held.[/font]
[font="times new roman"]I still had a chronic problem with maintaining good leadership.  Outside of Gen. Lee I had no quality Army or Theater commanders.  Gen. Lee after winning some key defensive battles in the East was sent West where he went on the offensive driving on of the Union’s major armies clear back to Yankee land.  In the process pushed the Union Political state down into the low eight hundreds costing them recruitment and the ability to declare emancipation in 1862.[/font]
[font="times new roman"]However the year ended on a sour note.  Lee was pushed back out of Kentucky.  The Mississippi was blocked by gunboats shutting down trade.  And, worse of all the Confederate supply situation went into negative territory and does not seem to be coming out of it.  I have already given up building forts and raising cavalry both badly needed to sustain the fight against Union drives into the Southern states.[/font]
[font="times new roman"]Also much of my success is due to I think the defense being easier to learn and play than the offense.  Gen. Collins is still testing what he can and can’t do but as the recent defeats show he is learning.  All I can hope for is the gains I have made will make it impossible for him to overcome them.  The most important one being blocking his chance for Emancipation.  Not only does this prevent recruiting Black Soldiers who cost only six population points as compared to normal militia’s cost of 24 in 63 and 30 after but tags on an additional 3 Political Points penalty each turn until it is declared.[/font]
[font="times new roman"]The Confederate challenges for the new year are many and difficult.  The command situation must be improved but I don’t have enough political points to promote the needed Leaders so I will continue to labor under inadequate commanders for the jobs.  Supply will only get worse as the Confederacy loses territory with its production to the Union advancing armies.  And, with militia costs doubling to 12 in 63, I will have problems fielding even the three armies I have (Beauregard commands little more than a small Corps).  To stop the huge Western armies I will probably have to feed all my troops into Lee’s army or at least keep the two Western armies close enough together they can support each other.  Defending wise there is no way for the Confederacy to fight for central Tennessee or Northern Virginia.  The river system in the West makes one dangerous to do and the closeness of the Capital and withdrawal of the best leaders and men make the other not likely.  New Orleans might have to be sacrificed as well.  Once the river is blocked I can’t afford the detachment of so many troops to hold it.[/font]
[font="times new roman"]So considering these, my plans for 1863 are to try to avoid giving the Union the victories they need to declare emancipation.  In 1862 I did this by defeating their advances.  In 1863 I may have to rely on giving up territory for time.  In the West I will draw my defensive line from Memphis to Chattanooga.  In the East it will be behind the Rappahannock River.  On the Coastal areas and Mississippi it will be around small mobile forces who will try to selectively drive back Yankee incursions.[/font]
[font="times new roman"] [/font]Now to the war and see how things work out.
Kennon
kennonlightfoot

[font="times new roman"]STATE OF DIS-UNION FROM THE UNION POINT OF VIEW[/font]
[font="times new roman"]Kennon's analysis of our game is accurate. I will add some insight from the Union point of view.[/font]
[font="times new roman"]1862 is a critical year. If the Union is not 'winning' the war in that year then they are in fact losing it. The political point system IS the key to victory and this must be kept as close to 1000 as possible. If the Union is continually sliding below this figure, they can't win. [/font]
[font="times new roman"]Exacerbating this situation is the fact that every turn the Union loses 27 political points while the Confederacy loses only 9. It's a small amount but it is three times what the Confederacy loses. On top of all that losing a large battle adds political points to your enemy and loses points for your side.[/font]
[font="times new roman"]Once the political points are sliding down, you had better do something to change the direction or defeat is staring you in the face.[/font]
[font="times new roman"]I am very pleased with the game historically. It seems to reinforce all my reading of the conflict, but there are some 'areas of concern'. I say 'areas of concern' because I am loathe to cut down a game of this complexity when I have not even concluded a single game against a human opponent.[/font]
[font="times new roman"]I'm a little worried about the Union Amphibious Capability or I should say the ability of the Confederacy to respond to it. I'm going to mention New Orleans in particular because it is the biggest concern to me but some of these arguments would also hold for other port cities on the coast. But New Orleans presents some real difficulties.[/font]
[font="times new roman"]For those of you not familiar with the real campaign it was one of the earliest of the war and was so successful that it is strange that it is not remembered as well as the great land battles of the war. Herein is probably the reason why it is not remembered in that it was the "Navy's Show". In a nutshell Fort Jackson and Fort St. Phillipe on the Mississippi located just south of the city protected the city from capture. There was a small Confederate fleet involved but in the end passage of the forts by the Union fleet would doom the city. This is exactly what happened.[/font]
[font="times new roman"]When the Union fleet battered the forts and ran past them the city had no choice but to surrender. Nobody needs be told that the city is almost below sea level and when Farragut's fleet literally anchored at the docks the city had to surrender or be bombarded at point blank range and be destroyed.[/font]
[font="times new roman"]In game terms it is possible to capture Ft.Jackson and Ft. St. Phillipe but if someone can tell me how the city of New Orleans can be captured itself, I would welcome an e-mail.[/font]
[font="times new roman"]Theoretically, you just move in an infantry force. But the movement points to do so are so expensive that in practice almost no Union commander can do so. Except perhaps a Grant or a Sherman but they don't come until later. Historically Benjamin Butler was the officer who captured the city but technically the city had already surrendered to two naval officers who bravely debarked and demanded its surrender.[/font]
[font="times new roman"]Baton Rouge, just up the river surrendered immediatly after New Orleans once the Navy appeared. In game terms this is impossible. I have not been able to figure out any way the Union can move infantry forces ON THE RIVER as amphibious invasions. You may in fact may not be able to. If you can, I have not figured it out yet.[/font]
[font="times new roman"]My concerns with the Amphibious forces are that they can be achieved by the Union at a tremendous cost in resources but when finally assembled could be defeated by a local muster of confederate militia which occurs automatically at the defence site.[/font]
[font="times new roman"]It seems a bit much that a large Union force moving hundreds and hundreds of miles by sea could be defeated so easily by local defence forces. All that I have read about the Confederacy has stated time and time again that the confederacy was almost completely helpless to stop Union Naval invasions. They could contain them perhaps when they landed, but they could not stop them. They had no navy to do so and Naval intelligence had not advanced to the degree where exact landing sites could be known in advance.[/font]
[font="times new roman"]This is a dual edges sword I know. I'm an old Reb at heart. But I want the Confederates to be able to do things that they could do, not things that they couldn't to balance a game. There are other ways to do that.[/font]
[font="times new roman"]I'm also a little concerned about ironclads vs land heavy artillery. It had long been a naval maxim that '4 guns on board' are equal to 'one gun on shore'. The Union navy started with this is mind. But it was soon found that this maxim which held true in the Napoleonic Wars did not hold true for this new age of Ironclads. The Union navy soon found out that Ironclads, although taking some damage did not have to fear the land batteries as much as they did only 40 years before.[/font]
[font="times new roman"]In game terms the Ironclads seem to be about the equal of heavy land batteries. For fortress cities like Vicksburg it seems to work fine. But for indefensible places like New Orleans it does not.[/font]
[font="times new roman"]In our game, I tried a number of fairly large amphibious invasions (larger than the historical ones) and every one has failed. Not one Union soldier is on the Rebel coasts (except for the islands) which fall more or less by default. But even those take tremendous resources to occupy.[/font]
[font="times new roman"]The Confederacy has been blockaded for the entire period we have been playing. Kennon says that he has felt the loss of resources but from the Union point of view it has not diminished the size of his armies. This is 1863 and the confederate armies are still quite large. If they are wearing tattered uniforms, I don't see them because they still fight like the devil. [/font]
[font="times new roman"]Although I have the three critical border states of West Virginia, Missouri and Kentucky, it hasn't really done anything. I'm not any closer to victory than before. The only advantage is geography. In that the fighting will tend to be on the borders of those states and in the interior. But the fact that these three states were prevented from joining the confederacy doesn't seem to help the Union much.[/font]
[font="times new roman"]Of course THE LOSS of them means he is going to lose big time. So the Union doesn't have an option here, HE HAS to secure the border states. The confederacy doesn't.[/font]
[font="times new roman"]Last of all we have the fact that the confederacy is on the strategic defensive. They don't have to 'win' . They just try to 'not lose'.[/font]
[font="times new roman"]Learning the Union I think is a bit tougher. They have all the resources and 'goodies'. Naval fleets, ironclads, transport fleets etc.. But another big thing is initiative. If the Union doesn't have it. they will lose. So there is a built in 'luck' factor that does favour the confederacy. If they don't get initiative, they may have a tough time of it and will lose territory and resources. But if the Union does not get it, they will lose the entire war.[/font]
[font="times new roman"]It's 1863 in our game now and I'm predicting Confederate Independence.[/font]
[font="times new roman"]Oh, I should mention the economy at this point. Kennon and I have used the AI handling the economy. But to simulate the war properly players may have to manage it. The AI does a credible job but it may not be enough to change with the fortunes of war. Presently I have tons of heavy artillery units that are useless to me. If I had handled the production I would have allocated resources differently than the AI.[/font]
[font="times new roman"]I say it again. This is a terrific game[/font]
[font="times new roman"]Bg. General Gilbert Collins [/font]
[font="times new roman"]Army of Alabama [/font]
[font="times new roman"]III/I/2nd Brigade[/font]
Kennon
kennonlightfoot

[font="times new roman"]Jan 1863[/font]
[font="times new roman"]The union is making safe moves and probes.  Grant steps on the force in Lawrence, Tn with an easy overrun.  In the East small assaults are sent into Manassas and New Kent.  I decide to only oppose the New Kent one.  I want to draw the Union down into Manassas so that the force will be out of fortifications and in enemy territory.  I will probably cost him more in attrition and lost initiative than the region will gain the Union.  It also puts a river between me an his army.[/font]
[font="times new roman"]I studied the supply rules a bit and realized I hadn’t checked every region I had troops in to see if they were being supplied at the lowest cost.  Unfortunately for me Fort St. Philip was one of the worse cases with a multiplier of 3x.  It had 12 units in it costing me 36 supply points.  I am going to try to hold the fort but by smoke and mirrors.  I move all the heavy artillery to New Orleans and two of the infantry leaving only an infantry force.  Hopefully it will be a while before his gunboats test it.  Gen. Collins had already moved most of his fleet past the forts (couldn’t take the heat) and used them to attack New Orleans.  Next turn he will find a lot more guns there.[/font]
[font="times new roman"]Interesting side observation:  His moving the ironclads out of the mouth of the Mississippi up to Baton Rouge caused the Mississippi to reopen to trade.  I got a big boost in supplies.[/font]
[font="times new roman"]I continue to rebuild Lee’s army and move it down to Corinth.  I also move Van Dorn’s army south of the Tennessee River east of Corinth so the two armies are in supporting distance.  I am making extensive rearrangement of Leaders to make my two Western armies ready for offensive operations once one of the Yankee armies moves close enough.  The bad news is with Grant’s move to Lawrence I suspect he plans to consolidate the two armies for a drive on Memphis.  Maybe instead of fighting him head on I will be able to slip around and take Nashville or something else in his rear.  But it will hurt to lose Memphis.[/font]
Kennon
kennonlightfoot

[font="times new roman"]Feb 1863[/font]
[font="times new roman"]Grant sends a token force to Shiloh probably to see if he can get it cheap without committing his army across the Tennessee River.  Because my ability to scout across the river is limited the force size is unknown but I suspect it is nothing larger than a Corps since Mitchel is in command rather than one of his better leaders.  Gen. Lee decides to make an example of them and gathers both his and Van Dorn’s armies for a counter attack.  It turned out Mitchel brought over just 11,000 men and 40 guns with some gunboat support.  Lee’s combined army strikes with 112,000 men and 360 guns.  Suffering only 1400 casualties they wipe out the force to practically the last man sending the commanders back to Grant with little more than their staffs.[/font]
[font="times new roman"]Supply wise having those guns and troops in Fort St. Philip was my problem.  For the first time I accumulate supplies and attrition drops dramatically.  Live and learn.  I finally am able to build a fort in Richmond.  Now the question is how to hold New Orleans with only a token force in the forts?  Not only that but my leader down their gets drunk and falls off a pier, drowning.  I send Hardee down to take over command of New Orleans.[/font]
[font="times new roman"]I also make large concentrations of heavy artillery in Memphis, Vicksburg and New Orleans.  If the Union wants to go boating along the Mississippi it will cost them.[/font]
[font="times new roman"]With the return of Gen. A. Johnston and a relatively calm month I take time to reorganize my commands.  I dismiss Gen. Cooper and promote Bragg to his post as Theater Commander.  This works nicely since it gets rid of a mediocre Theatre Commander and opens an Army Commander slot to which Gen. A. Johnston is promoted.  All for the cost of only 4 PP.  In the West Van Dorn must go.  He was a temporary filler until I had some decent Genearls available to AC.  Gen. R. Taylor takes his position.[/font]
[font="times new roman"]I would also like to replace Beauregard with his attack rating of 2 he isn’t a good AC.  I would like to replace him with Kirby Smith but I have no potential AC’s in the wings if any one is wounded or killed so I wait on this.[/font]
Kennon
kennonlightfoot

[font="times new roman"]The winter of 1862-1863 was a bad one for both the army and navy. Ships and transports can be lost at sea but there isn't much you can do about that. [/font]

[font="times new roman"]Lincoln in a desperate attempt to change the military situation shuffles the command structure. Grant and Lyon are the only army commanders that are giving him victories so they stay in command of the western armies. In the east, McDowell had to go and is replaced by a hopeful "General Curtis" from the west. "Old Brains Halleck" takes the fall for the inactivity in the east and General McClellan is raised to theatre command.[/font]
[font="times new roman"]"McClellan may not fight, but he excels at teaching others to fight".[/font]
[font="times new roman"]The year 1863 looms ahead. If the Union cannot retrieve it's fortunes this year we fear that the southern confederacy will become a permanent reality.[/font]
Army of Alabama
III/I/2nd Brigade
[/font]
Kennon
kennonlightfoot

[font="times new roman"]Mar 1863[/font]
[font="times new roman"]The last month of winter brings a respite for the South.  The Union is pretty much played out for the month.  Better yet their Political Points fall to 802.  If I can cause it to fall below 800 it should really hurt their ability to raise troops for 63.  It looks like the Lincoln administration also decided to do some spring cleaning dismissing a number of generals.[/font]
[font="times new roman"]Activity wise the Rebs just shift troops to get the two western armies ready for the coming Union offensives.  I noticed I am going to have some problems with troop movements in the West.  The railroad to Chattanooga crosses the Tennessee before re-crossing to Chattanooga.  Once the Union takes that north side region I will not be able to shift troops.  I will have to wait and see what my reach is to see what I can do about the problem.[/font]
Kennon
kennonlightfoot

[font="times new roman"]Apr 1863[/font]
[font="times new roman"]The Union must have had a straight flush in initiatives.  They went on the move everywhere.  Overrunning or easily brushing aside the small defense forces they took Florence(Al), Humbolt, Dickson(Tn), and Winchester.  On the Mississippi the Union gunboats tried the defenses of Memphis and got two of their ships sunk.  On the Rebel side not enough men could reach to respond to the attacks in the west.[/font]
[font="times new roman"]The only offensive I decided to oppose was Curtis’ attack on Fredericksburg.  Gen. A. Johnston pulled his army together and moved to stop them.  And stop them he did throwing their forces back to Manassas.  The Union had the numbers but not the general.  Curtis only managed to commit half of his forces and the resulting even battle lead to a Union loss.  Luckily for me since this offset all the points the Union gained for taking so many regions.[/font]
[font="times new roman"]I decided in the West rather than oppose the attack into Humbolt to wait for my offensive turn.  Then I sent all of Taylor’s army with two of the larges Corps of Lee’s army in to retake it.  Lee moved his troops that didn’t get initiative to Corinth so the two armies could support each other.[/font]
[font="times new roman"]Union offensive into central Tennessee puts me into a dilemma.  My two [/font]
[font="times new roman"]Western armies individually aren’t strong enough to defeat the two Union armies.  Grant is positioning his army so he can attack south, southwest or southeast when he crosses the Tennessee River.  If I try to defend both Memphis and Chattanooga I will probably fail at both.  But I am not sure I can defend one and lose the other and still win the war.  I hope not to have to make the choice.  If I damage the Mississippi army enough maybe Grant will have to back off.  If not hopefully I can shift to focus on Grant and screen the crippled (I hope) Mississippi army of Lyon’s.[/font]
[font="times new roman"]Down in New Orleans I am going to try to move my heavy guns back into Fort St. Philip for one turn.  Maybe I can damage their fleet enough to force them to withdraw but it is going to cost me in supplying them.[/font]
Kennon
JanSorensen

Post by JanSorensen »

A small comment. An AAR without screenshots is a soldier without ammunition (well, maybe not quite but screen shots help tremendeously).
Also, the comment
[font="times new roman"]In our game, I tried a number of fairly large amphibious invasions (larger than the historical ones) and every one has failed. Not one Union soldier is on the Rebel coasts (except for the islands) which fall more or less by default. But even those take tremendous resources to occupy.[/font]
strikes me as somewhat odd.

It takes very little to take the islands (one MIL for each island and you can easily take all 5 islands during the same turn if your AC in Washington happens to get initiative.
Also, if every single amph landing has failed then you are either very unlucky, your opponent is allocating alot of units on the coast weakening his defense elsewhere or you insist on landing where his forces are rather than where they are not. Also, it may be an issue that you are having the AI handle production as that means you may not have build the extra 10+ transports that are adviseable to make larger landings (10-12 units would be a large landing).

You may very well have a point about New Orleans though. I never take that by sea but simply have Grant take when he drives south.
kennonlightfoot

I don't find screen shots that useful for the amount of space they take up for area based strategic games.  Your troops either can move or can't to a region to join the battle.  If they don't they are pretty much irrelevant to the outcome.  I do recomend that anyone trying to follow these AAR's whether screen shots are included or not should have a print out of the map that Matrix provided.  I will probably see if I can include in one or two of the posts a close up of the area of Tennesse and Virginia where most of the fighting takes place but I really don't want to fill up every post with detail shots.

This AAR is really being written to help someone new through the game.  Both Gen. Collins and I are new to the game and it has been a learning experience.  Things like the five island were taken within the first few turns of the game.  New Orleans proved to be a tougher nut to crack because I reinforced it early and strongly.  Most of the other landing failed for various reasons one being we played the game with the AI in charge of productoin.  The AI is playing a different game.  Both sides are knee deep in heavy artillery but at least I have a use for them.  Apparently the Union AI took a dislike to the navy.
Kennon
kennonlightfoot

[font="times new roman"]May 1863[/font]
[font="times new roman"]And the wave breaks and recedes.  My counter offensive in Humbolt drives back Lyon’s army.  Apparently moving my heavy guns back into Fort St. Philip worked.  Two ships are sunk along with Adm. Farragut and the Mississippi is open to trade again.  Unfortunately I can’t afford the supply costs of keeping those guns there so I pull them back to New Orleans hoping the enemy won’t notice.  I badly need a turn or two of excess supply to get a fort in Petersburg and improve both Richmond and Vicksburg fortifications.[/font]
[font="times new roman"]The Union isn’t idle.  They desperately want those victories that will make issuing Emancipation possible.  Grant continues to expand his hold on central Tennessee sending another expedition to take Livingston which I don’t oppose.  In Virginia they try again to get the On To Richmond campaign going.  Their main army advancing this time on Gordonsville while a secondary attack is made further south against Elizabeth City.  I bet that the Elizabeth City one is only a small force and send only one group from Norfolk to counter.  The main army moves on Gordonsville.  Both are victories for the South with the Union suffering about twice the casualties.[/font]
[font="times new roman"]I spend the month shifting my armies back to more central positions.  In the West I move Lee into supporting distance of Chattanooga and send Beauregard with Early to occupy the region.  I am hoping to get a shot at Grant’s army but the terrain is difficult.  My slower moving forces end up in Shiloh and Corinth with Gen. Taylor in command at Corinth.  Moving Beauregard exposes the East coast to landings but I am hoping to be able to stop Grant during the next few turns before that or Gen. Lyon’s can advance again.[/font]
[font="times new roman"]The Union on the other hand has some serious problems, one being their Political Points.  After increasing with their April offensives it took a dramatic drop with my counter successes.  For the first time it fell below 800 to 790.  Plus their number of brigades fell to just 201 (although I am still not sure if this number reports all).  My forces are almost a match to this at 173.  They really need a new Draft but can’t afford taking another 50 point political hit for it.  But they must act soon to use those troops before winter.  The tide may have already turned with my two victories in a row.  They have eaten up the indefensible regions in Northern Virginia and Central Tennessee.  From now on everything is going to get much more difficult and they will have fewer resources for the undertaking.[/font]
Kennon
kennonlightfoot

[font="times new roman"]Jun 1863[/font]
[font="times new roman"]The tide has definitely turned.  The Union goes on a massive number of offensives attacking into Decatur, Hunteville, Shiloh, Humbolt, Staunton and Chattanooga.  Only Staunton and Chattanooga are major efforts.  The others are to pin troops in place or to distract.[/font]
[font="times new roman"]Grant’s attack against Chattanooga was probably based on the hope that the other attacks would pin my main forces in place and that only a token force was in the city.  His force is small and best of all spotted so I know what to expect.  And, he is wrong about the defenses of Chattanooga.  I had moved Beauregard with Early’s hard hitting command into the region.  Wade Hampton’s cavalry is able to move to reinforce from Decatur evening up the odds to about 10,000 a side.  That combined with great defensive terrain sends Grant back across the Tennessee.[/font]
[font="times new roman"]The pinning attack against Decatur where Lee and some 80,000 men sit apparently didn’t work.  Apparently sending just a brigade against a large force has no effect what so ever on them.  Lee moves most of his army to Hunteville easily overwhelming the Union attack there.  This will leave Lee’s army in a nice central position to move against the different parts of Grant’s command in Central Tennessee.[/font]
[font="times new roman"]The other two attacks in the west against Humbolt and Shiloh are easily turned back after reinforcements from Memphis and Taylor’s army give both over two to one advantages.[/font]
[font="times new roman"]Meanwhile the Union attempt to move down the Valley to Staunton is met by Gen. A. Johnston with the Virginia army.  The Union again has trouble getting its army which should have out numbered Johnston to commit.  Only 26,000 men do the fighting against Johnston’s 36,000.  Combined with one of the best commands, Jackson heading one Corps and K. Smith the other, they inflict 11,000 casualties at the cost of 1800.[/font]
[font="times new roman"]Now for the Coup de’tat, Lee moves his army against Grant’s reduced force now in Tullahoma.  W. Lee’s cavalry is detached to move into Murfreesboro to pen the unit there and hopefully cut off Grant from supports.  If successful Lee’s army will be positioned to retake all of Central Tennessee.[/font]
[font="times new roman"]The Union has taken a major hit these last few turns.  They have now made a Draft call but it will take a while for the troops to show up.  The heavy losses incurred will probably choke up there repair production as well.  There army size has fallen to the lowest it has been since August of 1861 with only 179 brigades active.  Of these almost one third are militia.  The Confederate armies actually out number the Union for the first time with 190 active infantry brigades of which only 24 are militia.  And, with the expected victory against Grant there Political Points will probably fall below 700.[/font]
Kennon
kennonlightfoot

[font="times new roman"]Jul 1863[/font]
[font="times new roman"]Grant was defeated losing almost 11,000 men to my 3,000.  I think we are beginning to see the affects of brigade quality.  As units fight they gain quality.  If they are damaged they will lose a level.  Once one side starts consistently winning and causing more of the enemy units to be damaged and repaired the over all quality improves relative to the enemy.  Most of my troops now are at least on first star.  The Union Political Points fall below 700.  There Draft runs out this month so for the rest of the year between the Draft penalty, the high 1863 militia cost, and the extra 6 PP cost for the low Political Points there ability to raise troops or even repair is shutdown.[/font]
[font="times new roman"]The Union only does some shifting of troops in the West but Curtis again tries to move into the upper valley but this time they hit A. Johnston already in place with all the advantages.  He is easily defeated.[/font]
[font="times new roman"]I didn’t have any major formations in the West get initiative so I most shift troops toward Decatur and Huntsville so they can attack on either side of the Tennessee.[/font]
[font="times new roman"]In the East rather than do the Union mistake of trying to fight in the mountains I take advantage of their initiative to march the whole army on Fort Monroe.  It isn’t a critical objective but it will take a thorn out of my side and hopefully draw the Union deeper into Virginia for a solid counter attack.[/font]
[font="times new roman"]Note:  For some reason I am receiving supply through the Mississippi ports even though they have a fleet in the mouth blocking it.  Or at least it use to do it.[/font]
Kennon
kennonlightfoot

[font="times new roman"]Aug 1863[/font]
[font="times new roman"]Grant is defeated in the West by Lee, but the Union has pulled to far back leaving a buffer zone between.  Lee has to be satisfied with overrunning Murfreesboro and sending A.P. Hill to occupy Livingston, Ky.  In the East Johnston has taken Fort Monroe and not wanting to take on a mountain attack just shifts troops back to Richmond.  Supplies are still passing through New Orleans but don’t know why.  My armies are running out of supplies which mean I have more units fighting in an unsupplied state which is going to cost me.  September will probably be my last turn for offensive operations then I will have to pull back to better terrain.[/font]
Kennon

Return to “After Action Reports”