AAR CSA vs Union AI

Post descriptions of your brilliant successes and unfortunate demises.

Moderators: Joel Billings, PyleDriver

RedArgo

RE: AAR CSA vs Union AI

Post by RedArgo »

This shows combat between Union gunboats and artillery at Memphis on the Mississippi River. I was happy that the 5 militia were raised to defend the city as now they may have time to train to infantry before the ground assault. But, General Pemberton was wounded, so I lost the ability to move all my artillery because they are no longer attached to a general. Of course, Grant assaulted Grenada south of Corinith this turn. Johnston moved to meet him and actually outnumbered Grant, but had few artillery because of the loss of Pemberton in the same turn. Once again Johnston was forced to retreat away from Memphis.

Also, now there are Union gunboats roaming the Mississippi making it difficult for me to get any reinforcements across the river to help Johnston.

In the east I was caught off guard by a huge Union army under Hooker that actually overran my garrison in Manassas. I thought I had plenty of troops to hold until Lee arrived to smite Hooker, but it didn't work out that way.

As you can see a mediocre player can have a very difficult time even against the AI. This game really plays very differently as the Union player and the Confederate player.

Attachments
CSA_AAR_Jun62a.jpg
CSA_AAR_Jun62a.jpg (39.64 KiB) Viewed 207 times
RedArgo

Post by RedArgo »

Mostly bad news in July. Memphis has fallen to Pope and the Yankees are closing in on Nashville. We reinforced Vicksburg with heavy artillery to disrupt Union gunboats but they have already cut off some militia and infantry west of the Mississippi river.

The Union blockade is started to have an effect now.

Attachments
CSA_AAR_Jul62a.jpg
CSA_AAR_Jul62a.jpg (73.82 KiB) Viewed 207 times
RedArgo

Post by RedArgo »

Finally some good news! Lee went on the offensive in Manassas and routed Hooker's army. The Union suffered 3 to 1 casualties and had to retreat to Washington. Besides giving me somes points for the strategic victory it also raised Jackson and Longstreet's command points enought (11 or greater) that they can now become army commanders if I so choose. The score after August is now Union 939 and CSA 923.

Attachments
CSA_AAR_Aug62a.jpg
CSA_AAR_Aug62a.jpg (64.7 KiB) Viewed 207 times
RedArgo

Post by RedArgo »

September saw some heavy fighting in both the east and west. In the east an army under took New Kent and closed on Richmond at the same time Lee drove off new Union commander Pope in another route in Manassas. Lee now casts his gaze on Washington, but it may be out of his reach. The only time I saw Washington fall is when I was first playing the Union and had no idea what I was doing (as opposed to now where I have only mostly no idea what I am doing.)

In the west Beauregard was promoted to command our main army in Jackson replacing Joseph Johnston who was promoted to western theatre commander. In a miracle, Beauregard held off Grant's main army with both sides suffering heavy casualties. The Union was also able to take Galveston and launched several naval bombardments along the coast and the Mississippi River.

The Union is also finishing up a draft which means I should see many new Union faces at the front soon.

Attachments
CSA_AAR_Sep62a.jpg
CSA_AAR_Sep62a.jpg (206.92 KiB) Viewed 207 times
GShock

Post by GShock »

Next in line to be bought.

Excellent AAR, good luck Argo :)
How long will you pretend you can't do anything about it? Support www.animalsasia.org
RedArgo

Post by RedArgo »

Thanks GShock.

Well, Lee is counter attacking at New Kent, east of Richmond, to drive the Yankees back. I'm not familiar with Union army commander Porter, but I am confident we will push him back. I had to weaken my defenses at Manassas, so hopefully the Federals won't get initiative and overrun me there.

Here is the total forces screen. The number for the Union are only approximate levels.

Attachments
CSA_AAR_Sep62b.jpg
CSA_AAR_Sep62b.jpg (181 KiB) Viewed 210 times
RedArgo

Post by RedArgo »

Lee Crushed Porter and there was no Union attack in the east, but Sherman replaced Porter at Ft Monroe and brought a lot of troops with him. Even worse Longstreet went on leave and won't be back for almost a year. This could be a near fatal blow.

In the west Lyon closed on Nashville and I am going to abandon the city. If don't I could easily be surrounded and completely destroyed. In the south Grant's army spread out a bit, apparently not fearing a counter attack from Beauregard.

Attachments
CSA_AAR_Oct62a.jpg
CSA_AAR_Oct62a.jpg (52.21 KiB) Viewed 210 times
GShock

Post by GShock »

By the looks, seems the game is nearing completion. Does it take into account entrenchment levels? I see numbers of troops but not entrenchments (or forts involved). How about the supplies? You mentioned them in the Union blockade reports but it's not clear how they are employed and forwarded to the front lines. Some infos would be great :)
How long will you pretend you can't do anything about it? Support www.animalsasia.org
RedArgo

Post by RedArgo »

November was pretty uneventful. Union naval forces continued to batter my heavy artillery. The AI is doing a much better job with its navy than I usually do. I tend to forget about it. I have 10 or more militia units trapped west of the Mississippi that would be very valuable to my armies.

In December Sherman attacked Lee at New Kent. Lee defeated Sherman, but unfortunately, didn't get initiative in the CSA turn so he couldn't try to march Sherman into the sea. (get it :)???)

Nothing much else happened of any importance.

Attachments
CSA_AAR_Dec62a.jpg
CSA_AAR_Dec62a.jpg (63.92 KiB) Viewed 210 times
RedArgo

Post by RedArgo »

I think the game is in great shape. Not too much more to do that I know of. Joel can speak better to the rules than I can, I'm kind of a fly by the seat of my pants not a know every formula player which is why I lose a lot I suppose, but I still have fun.

Troops will entrench if you don't move them around. Forts will give a bonus to a certain number of troops, but not a large army. Armies will use supplies from the grid which means they are connected to a factory or they can forage if they aren't on the grid. Army's fight much more poorly out of supply. I've gotten my Union armies cut off before and they are quickly destroyed if you can't get relief to them. You also need supplies to build stuff and train cavarly units.

There is a detail screen for battles that shows every unit firing and the odds and what happened. I'll post a shot of that next time I have a battle.

Hope this helps answer your questions a little.

Bill
GShock

Post by GShock »

I suppose the supply system uses something analog to A World Divided.

Heck cant wait for this to be out, i envy you who can already play it :)

Carry on with the AAR, i wanna see how it ends and yes, you cleared what i was wondering about, thx.
RedArgo

Post by RedArgo »

A quiet winter ended up with a big battle in Jackson.

In the east Sherman launched a couple of ineffective attacks against Lee, but Lee couldn't get initiative and was unable to assault Ft. Monroe.

In March of 1863 Grant finally drove on Jackson and pushed the Conferate army back with heavy losses.

The score is now CSA - 1031 and Union - 817. It's getting a little lopsided, but the Union can make up points in a hurry if they get on a roll.

I've lost both my best artillery commanders now, which certainly won't help at all.

Attachments
CSA_AAR_Mar63a.jpg
CSA_AAR_Mar63a.jpg (80.84 KiB) Viewed 212 times
RedArgo

Post by RedArgo »

In my part of the March turn I wasn't able to get initiative again.

Beauregard retreated to Meridian MS but was unable to build fortifications due to supply shortages.

I have found in playing CSA that turns go much faster. If I wasn't stopping to post messages I couldn't probably finish a game in one or two evenings. The Union takes a bit longer because they have a lot more to do.

Attachments
CSA_AAR_Mar63b.jpg
CSA_AAR_Mar63b.jpg (202.76 KiB) Viewed 212 times
RedArgo

Post by RedArgo »

April brought yet another attack by Sherman on New Kent. He was repulsed again, but with the heaviest Confederate casualties yet. This screen shot shows a slightly updated combat screen.

In Manannas Pope destroyed the CSA garrison virtually annihlating them. I didn't have an army commander there and it really hurt. I think I will recall Polk from SC, although there won't be much of an army left to lead.

Attachments
CSA_AAR_Apr63a.jpg
CSA_AAR_Apr63a.jpg (66.61 KiB) Viewed 212 times
RedArgo

Post by RedArgo »

Here is a picture of the combat detail screen. This shows every shot fired in the battle and the popup shows what variables, like commanding generals, were used to figure the odds.

Attachments
CSA_AAR_Apr63b.jpg
CSA_AAR_Apr63b.jpg (171.05 KiB) Viewed 212 times
RedArgo

Post by RedArgo »

In June Lee finally got initiative and with a razor close victory drove Sherman back at Ft Monroe. Unfortunately for me, the Union navy was able to move his troops back north, so I didn't destory them as I had hoped.

In the west Grant took Vicksburg and destroyed my last force on the Mississippi. They were out of supply and surrounded.

Here is the battle of Ft Monroe results.

Attachments
CSA_AAR_Jun63a.jpg
CSA_AAR_Jun63a.jpg (61.46 KiB) Viewed 212 times
RedArgo

Post by RedArgo »

Here are the forces in the east. It's Lee (in Fredricksburg) and Polk versus Pope and Meade. Apparently, Sherman was relieved. Bad move, Pope (in Manassas) is a 1 on defense leaving him open the counter attack and I think Meade is a -1 army mod which means he isn't as good an army general as he is a corp commander.

Once I get my troops rearranged in July I may look to retake Manassas if possible, now that my eastern flank is secured. I have been pulling my costal garrisons out to reinforce my main armies, so if the Union decides to launch any amphibious attacks I won't have much to stop them.

Attachments
CSA_AAR_Jun63b.jpg
CSA_AAR_Jun63b.jpg (197.6 KiB) Viewed 212 times
RedArgo

Post by RedArgo »

Here is the score and current theater and army commanders as of June 1863. I think I'm doing OK now.

Attachments
CSA_AAR_Jun63c.jpg
CSA_AAR_Jun63c.jpg (187.26 KiB) Viewed 212 times
RedArgo

Post by RedArgo »

The Union had a very good July. Lyon took Nashville, Grant took Nachez which is directly north of Baton Rouge and New Orleans. I can't defend N.O. without risking being trapped, so I will have to let it fall too. Lee repulsed Meade, but Pope took Gordonsville in NW Virginia. Hopefully, they won't get initiative so much and winter will arrive soon to slow them down again.
RedArgo

Post by RedArgo »

August saw the Union armies keep rolling. Grant took both Baton Rouge and New Orleans. Buearegard could only watch. AS Johnston attacked Lyon east of Nashville and was forced back, but not without inflicting heavy casualties on the Yankees.

Attachments
CSA_AAR_Aug63a.jpg
CSA_AAR_Aug63a.jpg (68.8 KiB) Viewed 212 times

Return to “After Action Reports”