AAR Jon Pyle (Union) vs Joel Billings (Confederate) - Confederate POV

Post descriptions of your brilliant successes and unfortunate demises.

Moderators: Joel Billings, PyleDriver

Joel Billings

RE: AAR Jon Pyle (Union) vs Joel Billings (Confederate) - Confederate POV

Post by Joel Billings »

In June, Union forces overran what was left of the Baton Rouge garrison and attacked two low PP areas that could not be defended. With that, Confederate Political Points (accounting for the 100 I'll lose at the end of June) was effectively at 141. Grant decided to avoid the heavy entrenchments around Wilmington and instead moved inland and attacked Fayetteville with about 70,000 men and 280 guns. A secondary attack was made on Goldsboro from New Bern with what turned out to be 14000 soldiers under Carter. Sherman took his army of 140,000 men and 580 guns and attacked Richmond. Losing Richmond would lose me 237 Political Points (87 plus 50 since it's the capital plus 100 more at the start of the next turn since I've lost the election). Clearly the game comes down to holding Richmond.

In Fayetteville, Jackson met Grant with 60000 men and 100 guns. First Pendleton went down wounded (he commanded my artillery), then AP Hill was killed (leading 20,000 men). The battle was very close, and casualties were almost equal, but these leader losses made the difference. The final adjusted combat values were 572 to 547 for the Union (1.04 to 1). AP Hill being killed cost me 30 points, and Pendleton cost me 10. Had they both been unharmed, the adjusted values would have been 572 to 587 and the Confederacy would have won. In a close battle like this, leader losses can make the difference. This battle cost me 32 points, leaving me at 109.

In Goldsboro, Early's 10,000 troops were able to hold off the Union attack.

So it all came down to Richmond. Lee managed to bring 88,000 troops and 240 guns to defend Richmond. I had reduced the army in Georgia to 40,000 men, and there were only 40,000 men spread out between Meridian, Mobile and Selma as over the past few turns I tried to ship as many men to Virginia as I dared to spare from these areas. In the battle of Richmond, Sherman was able to commit 130,000 men and 560 guns, almost his entire force. Lee threw in everything he had. Early in the fighting the victory bar was hovering just over the 50% mark on the Confederate side and Albert Sydney Johnston was killed. Losses mounted on both sides. However the value of the fort level 2 and the many entrenchments dug by the Confederate forces proved to be too much for the Union forces and the final battle odds were .77 to 1. The Strategic Victory brought my Political Points up to 129.

Attachments
1865.jpg
1865.jpg (451.28 KiB) Viewed 780 times
All understanding comes after the fact.
-- Soren Kierkegaard
Joel Billings

Post by Joel Billings »

Below is the final situation as the game ended at the start of July 1865. My score actually was reduced to 129 at the start of the Union turn. I survived. I can't say the same for the Confederacy. With Lincoln having won the election, the Mississippi solidly in Union hands, Sherman pressing Richmond, and Grant moving into North Carolina, it's pretty clear the Confederacy is ultimately doomed. All I can claim is to have done better than the Confederacy did, which is enough for a marginal game victory. I came very close to causing Lincoln to lose the election of 1864, and had that happened, a Decisive Victory would have been at hand. Jon did a masterful job of pressing me to the limit, and things could have easily gone differently in 1865. Had Jon not taught me the wisdom of merging Confederate infantry, and of building a lot of factories early in the war, I doubt I would have won this game.

During the game, several rules were changed in reaction to things that didn't seem right (three big changes were making it harder for ships to hit heavy artillery in fort 2 areas, making it more likely that defending forces in fort/ports would get committed to battle, and fixing the overrun formula involving cavalry units). Some of these were made too late to impact the game, others had an immediate impact on changing what happened in the game during future turns. To be fair, I have to report we also found a bug in the supply rules that had allowed Vicksburg to hold out when it should have been out of supply and probably would have surrendered on the turn it was first attacked. So not only was this game a lot of fun, it was a great development tool that helped us tweak things just before release. Jon was an excellent opponent and he'll give anyone a very tough fight. If you have the chance to play him, you'll learn a lot, I sure did. Thanks Jon.

Attachments
stratmapjune1865.jpg
stratmapjune1865.jpg (388.22 KiB) Viewed 779 times
All understanding comes after the fact.
-- Soren Kierkegaard
PyleDriver

Post by PyleDriver »

Joel, I tip my hat to you. This is the first game I have played to the last turn out of 70+. You play rough, every time I thought I was about to break you you held. Your defence of Atlanta and Wilmington won it for you...I dont play the Union much and would have done a few things different now. The Union needs about 6 additional factories by late 63 to supply thier huge army and keep artillery production up...Great game thanks...

[8D]
Jon
Jon Pyle
AWD Beta tester
WBTS Alpha tester
WitE Alpha tester
WitW Alpha tester
WitE2 Alpha tester
Erik Rutins

Post by Erik Rutins »

Congratulations to both of you, truly an epic clash and a great AAR.
Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.
GShock

Post by GShock »

Since Joel is an "insider" he probably has better knowledge of both sides...and i think knowing boths sides' spots, stats and tactics truly helps in pbem. What do you know ... ultimately it's all in the dice [:)]
How long will you pretend you can't do anything about it? Support www.animalsasia.org
tedhealy

Post by tedhealy »

Great ending.  Great AAR all around, one of the main reasons I bought the game [:)]
PyleDriver

Post by PyleDriver »

Just so everyone understands, this doesn't mean the Union lost the war. But for game purposes the CSA won as a player because he did better than what really happened...

[8D]
Jon
Jon Pyle
AWD Beta tester
WBTS Alpha tester
WitE Alpha tester
WitW Alpha tester
WitE2 Alpha tester
hgilmer

Post by hgilmer »

This was a good AAR.  I read through the most of it yesterday.  I appreciate the last comment about the Union not losing.  I was just thinking, "Like there's no way the Union would leave it like that.  They'd press home the advantage after years of fighting.  It would be silly to stop now."

I don't suppose there is anything in the works to have an alternate ending where The South isn't completely hamstrung points-wise after the 64 election and Lincoln winning?
PyleDriver

Post by PyleDriver »

Really the election of 64, is the entire war. The 1000 pp level is the goal in this game. The only hope for the south is to get rid of Lincoln. So in our AAR I won, barely, but as a player, Joel held out to keep him from total defeat and got the "that a boy".

[8D]
Jon
Jon Pyle
AWD Beta tester
WBTS Alpha tester
WitE Alpha tester
WitW Alpha tester
WitE2 Alpha tester
rjh1971

Post by rjh1971 »

Excellent AAR, kudos to Joel and Jon [&o][&o][&o]
GG's AWD, GG's WBTS, GG's WitE Beta Tester
Beta Tester: Panzer Corps, Time of Fury, CtGW, DC CB, DC3 Barbarossa, SC WWII WiE, SC WWII WaW, SC WWI
Hattori Hanzo

Post by Hattori Hanzo »

what a great AAR !!!!! [&o]
operating

Post by operating »

Thoroughly enjoyed the AAR even though 10 years have passed by since it's completion.[:)]

Congratulations! operating
and one flew over the Cuckoos nest

Return to “After Action Reports”