Automatic Emancipation

Post ALL Public Beta feedback here!

Moderators: Gil R., ericbabe

MorningDew

Automatic Emancipation

Post by MorningDew »

Just now reloading FoF and enjoying it again with the latest beta patch. However, one odd thing happened. Three turns in, without me intentionally selecting it, emancipation was proclaimed. I'm 99% sure I didn't select to emancipate. Appears the game just did it.

As designed? Issue?
Gil R.

RE: Automatic Emancipation

Post by Gil R. »

Which side were you playing? Do you have save files, in case Eric needs them? Any chance you pressed the "emancipate" button by accident while moving the mouse around?

It takes a brave man to publicly admit to suffering from premature emancipation...
Michael Jordan plays ball. Charles Manson kills people. I torment eager potential customers by not sharing screenshots of "Brother Against Brother." Everyone has a talent.
MorningDew

Post by MorningDew »

I was the Union. I don't think I hit the button by mistake, but that's why I specified 99% sure.

Are there autosave games you could use? I can save these. Since I'm just getting back into FoF, I played the three turns, this happened and I closed.
Gil R.

Post by Gil R. »

The odds are decent that there is a usable autosave file (in case Eric needs one). If you go to the "Save" folder where they are generated, doing a sort by "date modified" (or whatever it's called) would make it obvious which was the most recent. (The files are also numbered, come to think of it.)

Perhaps move these files somewhere else, so that the game won't copy over them.

I've not seen this reported before, so it's probably safe to start a new game.
Michael Jordan plays ball. Charles Manson kills people. I torment eager potential customers by not sharing screenshots of "Brother Against Brother." Everyone has a talent.
MorningDew

Post by MorningDew »

OK. I zipped up the autosave files for the turn before and after the issue.

I was only three turns into 1861, there had only been on significant battle and the USA Battle number was -3. Should the emancipation button even have enabled that I could have mistakenly hit it?
MorningDew

Post by MorningDew »

For grins, I reloaded the autosave file that was the end-of-turn before the issue. I simply hit End Turn without doing anything else, and the USA once again issued the Emancipation.

I tried again and it occurred again. Let me know where to send the save files. It looks like it should be easy for you to recreate with the save file.
Gil R.

Post by Gil R. »

I alerted Eric to the issue, and am sure he'll come by this thread before too long. He's immersed in programming the naval combat part of the "Crown of Glory" expansion at the moment, and might not come up for air for a while.
ericbabe

Post by ericbabe »

Never heard of this issue before, how strange.

Please send save game to ericbabe@west-civ.com.  Thanks!
Walloc

Post by Walloc »

ORIGINAL: Gil R.
I alerted Eric to the issue, and am sure he'll come by this thread before too long. He's immersed in programming the naval combat part of the "Crown of Glory" expansion at the moment, and might not come up for air for a while.

Umm Gil, u need to tell him submarines warfare wasnt introduced much in the CoG era, so until he has to do the possible expansion for FoF. The comming up for air part shouldnt be necesarry. Its all above the surface.

Nominating my self for worst bad joke of the year,

Rasmus
MorningDew

Post by MorningDew »

Seconding[;)]
MorningDew

Post by MorningDew »

ORIGINAL: ericbabe

Never heard of this issue before, how strange.

Please send save game to ericbabe@west-civ.com.  Thanks!

Just confirming you received the file.
ericbabe

Post by ericbabe »

Yes, thanks!
MorningDew

Post by MorningDew »

Yes, thanks!

Curious. Did you find anything? Could you recreate it with the save file? Or was I missing something?
ericbabe

Post by ericbabe »

It was hard to say.  The Northern player (your player) had 10 orders in his national queue of orders.  9 of those orders either started new developments or were a sort of impressment.  Order number 5 was the emancipation order.  It's hard for me to say how the emancipation order got into slot 5 of 10 after the fact.
MorningDew

Post by MorningDew »

It was hard to say.  The Northern player (your player) had 10 orders in his national queue of orders.  9 of those orders either started new developments or were a sort of impressment.  Order number 5 was the emancipation order.  It's hard for me to say how the emancipation order got into slot 5 of 10 after the fact.

Given the game situation at the time and the emancipation rules, is there any way an emancipation order should have been allowed? I don't see how it could have been? The conditions for it were not fufilled.
MorningDew

Post by MorningDew »

Does the silence mean I am incorrect? My assumption is that there should not have been an emancipation order in the order queue since the conditions for emancipation have not been met.
ericbabe

Post by ericbabe »

The criteria to prevent emancipation are working properly in your save file.  Unfortunately, as I stated, I have no way of knowing how the order got in the queue.  It's possible that you clicked the button in the milliseconds in between which the button is created and the button is hidden and disabled.  As a safeguard, we could provide an additional criteria check on button click as well.

In any case, I have been completely unable to duplicate the issuance of this order.  Has anyone else seen this or know how to duplicate this?

MorningDew

Post by MorningDew »

Got it. I would be that fast:)

>>As a safeguard, we could provide an additional criteria check on button click as well. <<

If you think that would be a good idea, it seems if would catch the problem if it is an inadvertant click right before the button is disabled. Alternatively, the button could be always disabled and the criteria check enabled it?
ericbabe

Post by ericbabe »

Alternatively, the button could be always disabled and the criteria check enabled it?

It would be possible to do this but it would be much more work simply because of the way the MFC libraries like to do things.
Gil R.

Post by Gil R. »

Eric, is "MFC" a Microsoft product, or Tony Soprano's favorite double-adjective profanity? If the latter, I'd add the 'S' for symmetry.

Return to “Public Beta Feedback”