Scenarios-how workable are they?

Please post here for questions and discussion about scenario design and general game modding.

Moderator: Gil R.

Jonah

Scenarios-how workable are they?

Post by Jonah »

Can one make a mid-war scenario? I've looked at previous posts about how no one would be able to have the upgrades or reaserch, but besides that can it be done? And if it could, how would you go about it?

Thanks!
“Duty is ours, Consequences are God’s.”

-Lieutenant General Thomas Jonathan Jackson
Gil R.

RE: Scenarios-how workable are they?

Post by Gil R. »

Sorry, I somehow missed this post.

It is only partly possible to make a mid-war scenario. There's no problem in putting together the OOB's or building up the two economies by adding lots of buildings, but the issue is that there is no code to handle a few things you'd also want to mod. The most important one that comes to mind is that there currently is no way of assigning starting research upgrades, which means that you'd be playing a scenario in 1862, 1863, etc. without your armies having learned certain tactics, your weapons research having advanced, etc. Another issue is that even though the commanders.txt file has a column for tracking what turn generals died that column's ignored by the code, so it's possible if playing with randomized arrival dates to have a dead general appear. (This can be solved by giving the affected generals a 0% chance of appearing.) There are a few other things like this that aren't coming to mind. Somewhere in the developers' forum I have a thread on this...

We always intended to add more scenarios but never got around to it because of the need for a good deal of additional code. If we come out with a FOF expansion it would be one of our highest priorities. Or perhaps for another patch at some point in the future.
Michael Jordan plays ball. Charles Manson kills people. I torment eager potential customers by not sharing screenshots of "Brother Against Brother." Everyone has a talent.

Return to “Mods and Scenarios”