An Uncivil War DAR

Post descriptions of your brilliant successes and unfortunate demises.

Moderator: Gil R.

Mad Russian

RE: An Uncivil War

Post by Mad Russian »

Going to try adding a picture again. This is the situation in Late October 1862. As the Union that map looks very good.

Good Hunting.

MR

Attachments
Late Oct 1862.jpg
Late Oct 1862.jpg (9.99 KiB) Viewed 308 times
The most expensive thing in the world is free time.

Founder of HSG scenario design group for Combat Mission.
Panzer Command Ostfront Development Team.
Flashpoint Campaigns: Red Storm Development Team.
Kingmaker

Post by Kingmaker »

HiHi

MR re screenshots etc.

What I think works (if you are using Paint & Photobucket) is to bring the picture into Photobucket at 800 x 600 15" screen. (I assume that will be OK here as well)

As you will know if you are reading my AAR at the Blitz I've had bog awful probs with picture size, I think, but don't know for sure that the key is from Paint to Photobucket; to re-emphasize it must be done at 800 x 600 otherwise it just goes haywire between Photobucket and Blitz ACW MB.

Just in case you ain't seen it checkout Randys instructions for posting screenshots etc (there's a link from SG in my Picture size post on the Technical MB).

Hope this helps.

All the Best
Peter
Mad Russian

Post by Mad Russian »

ORIGINAL: Kingmaker

HiHi

MR re screenshots etc.

What I think works (if you are using Paint & Photobucket) is to bring the picture into Photobucket at 800 x 600 15" screen. (I assume that will be OK here as well)

I used a jpeg from my hard drive and told the site here to imbed the picture in the post. No Paint and no Photobucket.
As you will know if you are reading my AAR at the Blitz I've had bog awful probs with picture size, I think, but don't know for sure that the key is from Paint to Photobucket; to re-emphasize it must be done at 800 x 600 otherwise it just goes haywire between Photobucket and Blitz ACW MB.

Just in case you ain't seen it checkout Randys instructions for posting screenshots etc (there's a link from SG in my Picture size post on the Technical MB).

Hope this helps.

All the Best
Peter

I think whatever instructions Randy gave at the Blitz for putting pictures on that site are fine. They may have nothing at all to do with the way this site accepts or displays photos.

If/when I ever start to use Photo Bucket I'll read up on his posts. Thanks for pointing out that they are there.

What did you think was wrong with my picture that you think I need to correct it?

Good Hunting.

Kingmaker

Post by Kingmaker »

HiHi

Nothing wrong with your pic at all, I merely put the info up in case you wished to do Screenshots etc. you said in an earlier post you had had probs etc, as it happens Randys system doesnt work here anyhow so ...

All the Best
Peter
Mad Russian

Post by Mad Russian »

Early November 1862

The situation in the Union is as follows:

Two Union Armies in the East are in the Lynchburg area. The AoNV has moved south into the Greensboro area. This breaks my continous string of controlled areas. It also leaves him a two area distance from Richmond. As the AoNV moved into the area it hit a Union Division with a single brigade in it. The US Division had orders to avoid combat. So no losses were taken.

The CSA seems to be moving into winter quarters. The US Army is as well. I'm trying to move into winter quarters in Murphreesboro so that by spring I can have that fort removed. I'm starting a siege at Memphis so that by spring my troops are well fed and rested and can continue on down the Mississippi. I'm moving my troops to Augusta so that by spring they can join the rest of the original Confederate cities in supporting the reunification of the Union. I've given orders for a division to move into Montgomery and allow for the capital of Georgia to also join the other state capitals in their quest for reunificiation. All to get good rest and food to be able to fight when spring gets here.

The one real fight we had was in Knoxville as he moved in with a Corps and I moved in with only a Division. The Corps I had given orders to move there disregarded those orders and sat in Kentucky. That happens MOST of the time in the winter months. I've even had units refuse to move by rail in the winter. Fleets refuse to move. Troops in ships refuse to unload......all different kinds of refusals to move in the winter. To make units move in the winter you need to stack all the officers you can find with a high initiative rating and put them in the unit that NEEDS to go. You will most likely only have enough officers for one unit to do this with.

The Battle of Knoxville was a Confederate Victory. Union forces were 13,625 with losses of 2,635 and Confederate forces of 56,861 having lost only 256. Again a very lopsided victory but one that didn't change the Victory Level or National Will.

I added 6 engineer attributes to Union brigades that turn. Now I will concentrate on building my gunboat fleet up to 9. I have 5 gunboats to get in construction in the next 8 turns. I think this will actually be a waste of money. The way the war is going that map should look like it's 1863 and not 1862. The production of facilities has stopped while I give the army all the different attributes I can. Mainly engineering. I also want to upgrade my artillery brigades to bigger and better guns.

Victory Report:
USA - Victory Points 1 / National Will -10
CSA - Victory Points 4 / National Will 7

State of the Economy:
51 - Mint
9 - Factory
6 - Mine
11 - Horse Farm
39 - Arsenal
14- Railroad Stations
10 - Banks
12 - Iron Works
27 - Barracks
12 - Foundry
3 - Shipyards
22 - Training Grounds
10 - Manufacturing Centers
3 - Academies
4 - Armory
1- Laboratory
8 - War College
4 - Engineering College
4 - Naval College
4 - Schools
6 - University
18 - Camp
9 - Hospitals
6 - Telegraph
1 - Signal Tower
40 - Capital
87 - Mansions
2 - Planations

No additions are being added to the economic infrastructure. The need now is for the forces in the field to prepare to win the war in 1863. Few changes I can make to the infrastructure at this point can affect the outcome of the fighting in next few months. I think I can add 3 or possibly 4 more Mints and more money is always good. Where I can do that I will. Also, as the Confederate resources become available to me I'll take advantage of being able to increase my spending capital through them.

In Production:
Nothing at the moment all my money is being spent on unit attributes. Most notably engineering.

Recruited:
0 Brigades

US Generals
0 - 5 Star
6 - 4 Star
14 - 3 Star (+1)
12 - 2 Star (-1)
66 - 1 Star (+2)

Finally I have enough Generals to command my Armies and Corps. Divisions will never happen.

Oganizations:
6 - Armies
14 - Corps
34 - Divisions

Upgrades To Date:

USA: (18)
Rifle Manufacture - Increases my weapons output.
Moisture Proof Cartridges - Allows me to fight in bad weather with better results.
Siege Techniques I - Better results against fortifications and cities.
Invalid Corps - Better output of my camps.
Target Practice I - Better results in combat.
Target Practice II - Better results in combat.
Naval Infastructure I - Cheaper ships.
Blockade Operations - Much better odds of catching and damaging Blockade runners.
Heavy Artillery Infrastructure - Allows me heavier artillery.
Sharpshooter Training - Increases my sharpshooters ability to do damage. Especially to cause casualties among his generals.
Incendiary Shells - this increases the amount of damage that can be done during sieges. That could be very important since I don't have all 9 of the river monitors I need for extreme offensive action.
Gatling Gun I - this will allow me a rapid fire attribute.
Bayonet Practice I - better results in combat.
Nursing Corps - Increases the efficiency of my hospitals by 50%.
Naval Infrastructure II - decreases the cost of gunboats.

Gatling Gun II - this will increase the rapid fire attribute by 50%.
Bayonet Practice II - better results in combat.

CSA: (6)
Rifle Manufacture
Fortified Techniques
Taget Practice I
Nursing Corps
Sharpshooter Training
Blockade Operations

Good Hunting

MR

Mad Russian

Post by Mad Russian »

Here is the situation map for Early November 1862.

Good Hunting.

MR

Attachments
EarlyNov1862.jpg
EarlyNov1862.jpg (16.85 KiB) Viewed 301 times

Mad Russian

Post by Mad Russian »

There has developed a strange situation in Early November of 1862. Neither side is defending their capital with anything other than the garrisons and the ability to move forces back in a mobile defense.

If the AoNV moves any further away from Richmond we may have to see how they like US engineers dismantling the forts in front of the city.

Good Hunting.

MR

Attachments
CapitalsNov1862.jpg
CapitalsNov1862.jpg (138.04 KiB) Viewed 301 times

Mad Russian

Post by Mad Russian »

This is what Virginia looks like as we prepare to go through the winter. I'll fight through the winter if need be. The 2nd Upgrade I took was Moisture Proof Cartridges which allows me to do better in bad weather fighting. That was just in case we need to fight on in the winter. This winter we may want to keep on pushing him.

Depends on how the siege at Memphis goes and the Forts around Nashville and Murphreesboro.

McClellan would be proud. The computer is telling me that that Army of Northern Virginia is 623,580. I would be extremely surprised if he's managed to get it up over 200,000. But even that is a tremendously large force. One not to be dealt with lightly.

Where the AoNV goes from here is going to make for some interesting gaming. If he pulls back into Petersburg, which I expect I'll leave the situation as it is for a bit. If he moves deeper into the south I'll probably visit President Davis in Richmond.

Good Hunting.

MR

Attachments
ViginiaEa..Nov1862.jpg
ViginiaEa..Nov1862.jpg (161.71 KiB) Viewed 301 times

Mad Russian

Post by Mad Russian »

The strategy for the winter months is to take what he gives me and what I can move to react to. My winter months objectives are Memphis, Murphreesboro, Montgomery and Augusta. The orders have been issued. Now we wait to see who responds and who doesn't.

After that I'd like to knock out the fort in front of Nashville...Henry or Donaldson..can't remember which is alone by itself.

Then we see what the CSA is going to do this winter. I don't believe he will sit back and do nothing. He may try to take the AoNV down into the south to destroy the Army of Pennsylvania, in hopes I can't move my troops up in Lynchburg. That could happen.

He may try to break the siege of Memphis. He might do that. He might come out of Nashville to fight in Murphreesboro too. Lots of choices for him make and I need to take what he gives me. The winter weather can stop some of his best laid plans as well as they do mine.

The south has some very tough choices to make between now and the start of spring.

We'll just have to wait and see what God has in store for us weather wise and fight with what he gives us.

Good Hunting.

MR

Mad Russian

Post by Mad Russian »

I figured out my problem with posting pictures so I went back and inserted the photo of where I tried to trap and destroy the Army of Nothern Virginia. That was a central focus in the strategy that has brought us to this point. If The AoNV hadn't been in a position to possibly destroy it the choices I would have made would have been greatly different. Without at least a 3-1 advantage you don't have a prayer of beating the AoNV on Confederate soil.

That's the way the war goes though. You take what your opponent gives you or you make him take what you can force on him. I couldn't force the defeat of the AoNV but he gave me the capitals of all the southern states south of Virginia all the way to Alabama on the east side of the Appalachians. So I took what he gave me.

Here is the photo that I couldn't figure out how to post earlier, which is in the correct post now back in the thread, the situation that started the whole series of actions.

What this pictures shows is two things. Me not destroying the Army of Northern Virginia but me capturing ungarrisoned Lynchburg and Petersburg, Virginia that has caused him such heartburn since.

Good Hunting.

MR

Attachments
TrapforAoNV.jpg
TrapforAoNV.jpg (130.53 KiB) Viewed 301 times

Jonah

Post by Jonah »

Looks like you have the war gpoing pretty well, you might want to try and take Norfolk, it has a lot of good building and is the third biggest city as far as producing can go at the start. It would definitely stop the confederate reinforcement rate with heavier units.
“Duty is ours, Consequences are God’s.”

-Lieutenant General Thomas Jonathan Jackson
Mad Russian

Post by Mad Russian »

Late November 1862

Two Union Armies in the East are in the Lynchburg area. The AoNV has moved farther south into North Carolina. The goal seems to be to liberate the heartland during the winter months. That's good because as he moves farther south I've given orders to head to Norfolk. In case they only move one zone that will put them back at Petersburg. I have 10 engineers with that Army.

The Corps at Murphreesboro has orders to be rienforced. There could be 10+ engineers in that location by the end of next turn. I've put some of the divisions in the deep south in garrison. If he wants to do sieges that's fine. Let's sit here all winter while my other units do their own sieges. CSA units of all size have no equipment for doing sieges. They have terrible engineer and artillery attributes. At this moment I have 2 Armies with 10+ engineer attributes in them plus a 4 gunboat armada that gets a superb rating on the artillery. Their bombardment siege of Memphis alone has reduced the cities defenses in a single turn to 42. Another turn like that and Memphis will be reunified.

There were 3 fights this time.

Montgomery where 2529 Union forces lost 92 and 1549 CSA forces lost 18.
Abingdon where 9752 Union forces lost 1016 and 58,342 CSA forces lost 251.

The real fight though, and by far the most influencial fight in the war so far, was on the Lower Tennessee River. The Union was at the fort with 106,473 and lost 16,150 while the CSA showed up with 101,000+ and lost 11,436. While this was a Union tactical loss it was a CSA strategic loss. The CSA doesn't have near the camps they had in the beginning. Many of them are under Union control at the moment or they can't get reinforced. That Army is not on a rail line at the moment. They are headed to Memphis. I may take Memphis before they get there. If I do and that army doesn't get to move in bad weather things could get really tough for the CSA Western forces.

At the very least that Army took 10% losses and an influx of new recruits will lower it's efficiency.

It appears that both sides may continue the fight right on through the winter. I have the advantage in combats taking place in bad weather. My formations are constantly being trained to a higher standard. Now the most important attribute a Union General can have is a high inititiative rating. I need those men to move when I tell them to!!

For the first time since the game started I arranged my generals in an order other than to just fill slots. I went in and organized by Initiative ratings which generals went in which formations to get the best possible chance for those formations to move in bad weather. I don't think it makes that much overall difference as to combat ratings or training. Everybody will fight when they go into battle and all formations need to be trained. However if I can only move a formation or two during winter then I want the ability to have them respond and that is more important than all other considerations.

Victory Report:
USA - Victory Points -2 (-3) / National Will -12 (-2)
CSA - Victory Points 7 (+3) / National Will 8 (+1)

State of the Economy:
51 - Mint
9 - Factory
6 - Mine
11 - Horse Farm
39 - Arsenal
14- Railroad Stations
10 - Banks
12 - Iron Works
27 - Barracks
12 - Foundry
3 - Shipyards
22 - Training Grounds
3 - Academies
4 - Armory
1- Laboratory
8 - War College
4 - Engineering College
4 - Naval College
4 - Schools
6 - University
18 - Camp
9 - Hospitals
6 - Telegraph
1 - Signal Tower
40 - Capital
87 - Mansions
2 - Planations

In Production:
Nothing at the moment all my money is being spent on unit attributes. Most notably engineering.

Recruited:
0 Brigades

US Generals
0 - 5 Star
6 - 4 Star
14 - 3 Star
12 - 2 Star
66 - 1 Star

Had 3 Generals killed and 1 wounded that time. Forgot to record the number available to me this turn.

Oganizations:
6 - Armies
14 - Corps
34 - Divisions

Upgrades To Date:

USA: (19) (+1)
Moisture Proof Cartridges - Allows me to fight in bad weather with better results.
Blockade Operations - Much better odds of catching and damaging Blockade runners.
Sharpshooter Training - Increases my sharpshooters ability to do damage. Especially to cause casualties among his generals.
Incendiary Shells - this increases the amount of damage that can be done during sieges. That could be very important since I don't have all 9 of the river monitors I need for extreme offensive action.
Siege Techniques II - Better results against fortifications and cities.

Indirect Fire - Increases the effectiveness of my artillery.

CSA: (7) (+1)
Rifle Manufacture
Fortified Techniques
Taget Practice I
Nursing Corps
Sharpshooter Training
Blockade Operations
Canning Technology

Good Hunting

MR

Mad Russian

Post by Mad Russian »

The heavy losses in the Lower Tennessee River area brings up some reinforcement and supply questions.

Can a container get resupplied from camps that are isolated?

Not on a functioning rail line?

Or do the camps outputs go into a general pool and are distributed from there? And only the area where the container is actually sitting makes the only difference?

Good Hunting.

MR

terje439

Post by terje439 »

ORIGINAL: Mad Russian

US Generals
0 - 5 Star
6 - 4 Star
14 - 3 Star
12 - 2 Star
66 - 1 Star

Had 3 Generals killed and 1 wounded that time. Forgot to record the number available to me this turn.

Oganizations:
6 - Armies
14 - Corps
34 - Divisions
You only have 12 division commanders and 34 divisions? Why not promote to get more out of your generals?
"Hun skal torpederes!" - Birger Eriksen

("She is to be torpedoed!")
Mad Russian

Post by Mad Russian »

ORIGINAL: terje439

ORIGINAL: Mad Russian

US Generals
0 - 5 Star
6 - 4 Star
14 - 3 Star
12 - 2 Star
66 - 1 Star

Oganizations:
6 - Armies
14 - Corps
34 - Divisions
You only have 12 division commanders and 34 divisions? Why not promote to get more out of your generals?

????

It only lets me promote a single general every turn unless I've missed something.

Good Hunting.

MR

Mad Russian

Post by Mad Russian »

Tell me about the supply and reinforcement issues. Those I need help with.

Also, if I put a container on high supply does that cost money to do that?

Good Hunting.

MR

Mad Russian

Post by Mad Russian »

Late November 1862

Two Union Armies in the East are in the Lynchburg area. Nobody moved.

The Corps at Murphreesboro has orders to be rienforced. There could are 10+ engineers in that location however I may have to stop the siege because my brigades are getting low on manpower.

Memphis surrendered. I put brigades in the city to both defend it and to get them built back up to strength.

There were no fights this time.

I converted 2 Artillery and 1 Cavalry Brigade this turn.

Victory Report:
USA - Victory Points 0 (+2) / National Will -11 (+1)
CSA - Victory Points 6 (-1) / National Will 6 (-2)

State of the Economy:
51 - Mint
9 - Factory
6 - Mine
11 - Horse Farm
39 - Arsenal
14- Railroad Stations
10 - Banks
12 - Iron Works
27 - Barracks
12 - Foundry
3 - Shipyards
22 - Training Grounds
3 - Academies
4 - Armory
1- Laboratory
8 - War College
4 - Engineering College
4 - Naval College
4 - Schools
6 - University
18 - Camp
9 - Hospitals
6 - Telegraph
1 - Signal Tower
40 - Capital
87 - Mansions
2 - Planations

In Production:

Recruited:
0 Brigades

US Generals
0 - 5 Star
6 - 4 Star
14 - 3 Star
12 - 2 Star
66 - 1 Star

Oganizations:
6 - Armies
14 - Corps
34 - Divisions

Upgrades To Date:

USA: (20) (+1)

Indirect Fire Damage - Increases the effectiveness of mortars and howitzers. I'm hoping this will increase the gunboat attacks.

CSA: (7) 
Rifle Manufacture
Fortified Techniques
Taget Practice I
Nursing Corps
Sharpshooter Training
Blockade Operations
Canning Technology

Good Hunting

MR

Mad Russian

Post by Mad Russian »

Early December 1862

Two Union Armies in the Lynchburg area are moving east. One is already in the Petersburg area and the other is ordered to Norfolk.

The Corps at Murphreesboro has orders to be rienforced. There could are 10+ engineers in that location however I may have to stop the siege because my brigades are getting low on manpower. The siege was converted to an encirclement and the defense of the fort is down to 45.

Gave orders for a Corps to move to Atlanta and secure it. I don't think there  are any Confederate troops there. If there are I'll move that Corps north to the Murphreesboro area. I'm going to need to get a rail supply line open into the south as soon as I can for spring or those Union forces in the south will just disappear before my eyes.

I converted 2 Artillery both to Ordanance Rifles.

Victory Report: (No Change)
USA - Victory Points 0  / National Will -11 
CSA - Victory Points 6  / National Will 6 

State of the Economy:  (No Change)
51 - Mint
9 - Factory
6 - Mine
11 - Horse Farm
39 - Arsenal
14- Railroad Stations
10 - Banks
12 - Iron Works
27 - Barracks
12 - Foundry
3 - Shipyards
22 - Training Grounds
3 - Academies
4 - Armory
1- Laboratory
8 - War College
4 - Engineering College
4 - Naval College
4 - Schools
6 - University
18 - Camp
9 - Hospitals
6 - Telegraph
1 - Signal Tower
40 - Capital
87 - Mansions
2 - Planations

In Production:
Nothing at the moment all my money is being spent on unit attributes and arming artillery brigades with heavy cannon.

Recruited:
0 Brigades

US Generals
0 - 5 Star
6 - 4 Star
14 - 3 Star
13 - 2 Star (+1)
66 - 1 Star

Oganizations:
6 - Armies
14 - Corps
34 - Divisions

Upgrades To Date:

USA: (20)

Indirect Fire Damage - Increases the effectiveness of mortars and howitzers. I'm hoping this will increase the gunboat attacks.

Rifle Manufacture
Fortified Techniques
Taget Practice I
Nursing Corps
Sharpshooter Training
Blockade Operations
Canning Technology

Good Hunting

MR

Mad Russian

Post by Mad Russian »

Late December 1862

The two Union Armies from the Lynchburg area are moving east. One is already in the Petersburg area and the other is ordered to support that siege. The second Army hasn't moved yet even though it has better intiative than the first Army that moved. Petesburg surprised me. The defense of the city only started in the 60's, not at 100%. I knew that from the rules but had forgotten the AoNV had reduced it. Nice of him to do that. I only reduced the defense down to 59 this turn. I have only a single engineer in the Army that moved there for an engineer rating of normal.

The Corps at Murphreesboro has orders to be rienforced. There could are 10+ engineers in that location however I may have to stop the siege because my brigades are getting low on manpower. The siege was converted to an encirclement and the defense of the fort is down to 31. I have 4 engineers in that Corps with an engineer rating of good.

Atlanta was empty and is now under new management.

I armed 2 more Artillery both to Ordanance Rifles. I also armed 4 infantry brigades with Springfields. I've taken some of my lower manpower brigades and put them in garrison to increase their manpower. Spring is coming!

I updated the State of the Economy. All the changes to the list are pretty much confederate city additions. Only the 1 additional mansion are additions I made.

The only Confederate unit I actually saw move was the AoNV. Seems Bobbie Lee didn't like it so much deep in the south and away from Virginia after all. Now he seems to want to go home and fight some more. Hopefully I'll have Petersburg when he gets there.

Victory Report:
USA - Victory Points 1 (+1) / National Will -11
CSA - Victory Points 6 / National Will 6

State of the Economy: (The taking of Confedate cities has changed the state of the economy.)
52 - Mint (+1)
9 - Factory
6 - Mine
12 - Horse Farm (+1)
42 - Arsenal (+3)
14- Railroad Stations
10 - Banks
12 - Iron Works
28 - Barracks (+1)
12 - Foundry
3 - Shipyards
23 - Training Grounds (+1)
3 - Academies
4 - Armory
1- Laboratory
8 - War College
4 - Engineering College
4 - Naval College
4 - Schools
7 - University (+1)
23 - Camp (+5)
10 - Hospitals (+1)
8 - Telegraph (+2)
1 - Signal Tower
44 - Capital (+4)
88 - Mansions (+1)
7 - Planations (+5)

In Production:
Nothing at the moment all my money is being spent on unit attributes and arming artillery brigades with heavy cannon.

Recruited:
0 Brigades

US Generals
0 - 5 Star
6 - 4 Star
14 - 3 Star
14 - 2 Star (+1)
67 - 1 Star (+1)

Oganizations:
6 - Armies
14 - Corps
34 - Divisions

Upgrades To Date:

USA: (20)

Rifle Manufacture
Fortified Techniques
Taget Practice I
Nursing Corps
Sharpshooter Training
Blockade Operations
Canning Technology

Good Hunting

MR

Mad Russian

Post by Mad Russian »

Here is the current situation map.

Good Hunting.

MR

Attachments
EarlyJan1863.jpg
EarlyJan1863.jpg (13.87 KiB) Viewed 303 times

Return to “After Action Reports”