Breaking a siege

From the creators of Crown of Glory come an epic tale of North Vs. South. By combining area movement on the grand scale with optional hex based tactical battles when they occur, Forge of Freedom provides something for every strategy gamer. Control economic development, political development with governers and foreign nations, and use your military to win the bloodiest war in US history.

Moderator: Gil R.

carll11

Breaking a siege

Post by carll11 »

So, the union is sieging many of my forts and always seems to take them relatively quickly....

What I dont understand is, when I gather forces to break the siege and try and fight /defeat the besieging army, I cannot seem to get the game to allow me to do that...my army is in the province while the union sieges the fort, how do I engage the besieging army?
carll11

RE: Breaking a siege

Post by carll11 »

48 views....nada....
DEB

Post by DEB »

A couple of suggestions ( after a brief "read" of the rule book ):

1) Are your Troops set to "Seek Battle" ? If not they have at best a 50% chance of Action ( if the enemy ARE set to "Seek Battle" ). If the enemy are set to "Avoid Battle" and you are too, then there will NOT be a battle...

2) Perhaps ( as the besieged ) you need to call in "Reinforcements" ??
terje439

Post by terje439 »

If you are set to seek battle, it should result in a battle in the province. However you will ofc need to WIN said battle. If you lose the engagement, the enemy siege will continue.

As to why the union AI takes the forts so quickly is usually a combination of things;
-they normally have larger forces there (every brigade fires at the besieger).
-they normally tend to have added things like engineers to their brigades.
-they often use aggressive settings in their sieges to break it faster.

I hardly keep forts as the CSA, a few select ones, and for those I buy upgrades, both at fort level, fort guns and brigade guns. Normally I take the brigades in the forts and add them as regular brigades to my armies where they make more use of themselves (well, eventually, as they start out very green).
"Hun skal torpederes!" - Birger Eriksen

("She is to be torpedoed!")
carll11

Post by carll11 »

Thank you both! I will check my setting DEB......and your advice re; siege troops etc. Terje is most welcome...

Return to “Forge of Freedom: The American Civil War 1861-1865”