AAR - News from the Front.

From the creators of Crown of Glory come an epic tale of North Vs. South. By combining area movement on the grand scale with optional hex based tactical battles when they occur, Forge of Freedom provides something for every strategy gamer. Control economic development, political development with governers and foreign nations, and use your military to win the bloodiest war in US history.

Moderator: Gil R.

Greyhunterlp

RE: News from the Front.

Post by Greyhunterlp »

Well, thats it, I've hope you've all enjoyed it, and thank you for sticking with it for 10 months. yes ten months, i started this bloody thing in febuary. there is no way i thought it would take me this long, hell, i'm moving in with my girlfriend of 8 months this weekend, and we we're even going out when i started this thing.

Then again, if somethings worth doing right, then its worth taking your time over, and at 73 tunrs, and about 65 newspaper, i've certanly done that, at about 1.30 hours each, were talking about 100 hours of work going into this AAR, not including all the times that the thing crashed on me and i had to restart the turn! (there were a lot of these, I don't like to talk about them)

As for the game itself, it was a good one i think, i nearly lost it a few times, espeically when the Union forces in the south outnumbered Sibly and McCulloch and were taking citys left and right, it was a war of two halves, the first two years was all in the West, with Lee doing little, I really thought at that point that this was going to be a war without a famous General Robert E. Lee. then the Western forces of the Union were destoryed, and the battle shifted to the East, and got bloody. but in the end, they were just bleeding men that they could have used to reopen the Western offensive.
Thats not to say i didn't make mistakes, I nearly Bled lees army to death in the first attack on washington, and the west was touch and go for a while, but in the end, my victory was won by surrounding and capturing enemy brigades in detailed battle.

now I'm going to move, and then I've got something stupidly complex planned involving 3D modeling and Dwarf Fortress, because I'm a glutton for punishment. after that, I may try a AAR for a PBEM game, or even try to do that Tutorial, but then again, if my next project takes as long as this one did, that could be in time for FOF2......

again, thanks for reading.

Grey Hunter.

EDIT 1: Oh yeah, and page 5, nice place to end it

EDIT 2: Oh yeah, WHY DID NO ONE TELL ME I:VE BEEN SPELLING LINCOLN WRONG FOR A YEAR!? ah well, I'll blame that one on dislexyia
Where I Go, Chaos Follows
jkBluesman

Post by jkBluesman »

Thank you for devoting that much time and work. I really enjoyed reading your paper.
"War is the field of chance."
Carl von Clausewitz
marecone

Post by marecone »

Thanks for your great effort [&o]. This has been my absolute favorit AAR. Will miss it [:(].

Godspeed
"I have never, on the field of battle, sent you where I was unwilling to go myself; nor would I now advise you to a course which I felt myself unwilling to pursue."

Nathan Bedford Forrest
Gil R.

Post by Gil R. »

Grey Hunter, congratulations on an outstanding job, and for seeing this through to the bitter (well, I guess, sweet) end. This has got to be one of the better AAR's we'll ever see for any game, especially in terms of creativity.

Man, I forgot that you were playing since February -- so you weren't even using our giant patch from May. I'm amazed that you went this long without caving in and patching up (and, of course, breaking your save files). Now THAT's dedication to one's craft.
Michael Jordan plays ball. Charles Manson kills people. I torment eager potential customers by not sharing screenshots of "Brother Against Brother." Everyone has a talent.
ericbabe

Post by ericbabe »

Bravo!  This is simply an amazing AAR, sir.

Gil, now that the AAR is done we should enshrine this thread by making it a sticky thread within AAR, then we can link to it from the WCS website.
Gil R.

Post by Gil R. »

Pinned, and I went you one better: I enshrined it on the main page, right next to the unfinished PBEM AAR of sainted memory.
Michael Jordan plays ball. Charles Manson kills people. I torment eager potential customers by not sharing screenshots of "Brother Against Brother." Everyone has a talent.

Return to “Forge of Freedom: The American Civil War 1861-1865”