Tactical: How to Activate generals and Defend by Attacking

AGEOD’S American Civil War - The Blue and the Gray is a historical operational strategy game with a simultaneous turn-based engine (WEGO system) that places players at the head of the USA or CSA during the American Civil War (1861-1865).

Moderator: Pocus

MPHopcroft1

Tactical: How to Activate generals and Defend by Attacking

Post by MPHopcroft1 »

This is probably an alarmingly simple question but here goes: when a General is inactivated, how do you activate him? I've tried to play the First Bull Run scenario as the Union and can't figure out how to get McDowell moving (because, the way I see it, the only way to prevent the Rebels from taking Washington is to block the main attacking army). I'm also wondering in the same scenario how one saves Harper's Ferry from the Rebs.

The AI is probably unpredictable, but is there at least something I can try?

I iomagien that as the Rebs I would have the same problem with the defense of Richmond.
"Any asset that would cost you the war if lost is no longer an asset, but a liability." -- Me

"No plan survives the battlefield" -- old Army saw.

"Without Love, I'd have no Anger. I wouldn't believe in Righteousness" -- Bernie Taupin
Arsan

RE: Tactical: How to Activate generals and Defend by Attacking

Post by Arsan »

Hi!
Each turn a leader "rolls" a die for activation. If he gets less than his strategic rating he becomes activated. If not, he will be inactive for the turn.
WIth the standard activation rule (the middle one o the options) an inactive leader can deffend normally if attacked but would move with a speed penalty and won't be able to use offensive postures (orange/red) at all.
So McDowell won' have problem defending Washington, but will definitely had it for taking Richmond, as he use to be active 1 turn out of 3.
Check the manual for this, and understanding activation and postures is one of the main parts of the game's rules.
For an introductory scenario, i would recommend you Shiloh better than Manassas. It's a little bigger/longer, but much more interesting ans with different strategic possibilities. Better to learn the ropes of the game [:)]

Cheers

Return to “American Civil War – The Blue and the Gray”