Why is the game cheaper to buy in stores then to download?

AGEOD’S American Civil War - The Blue and the Gray is a historical operational strategy game with a simultaneous turn-based engine (WEGO system) that places players at the head of the USA or CSA during the American Civil War (1861-1865).

Moderator: Pocus

Sarkus

Why is the game cheaper to buy in stores then to download?

Post by Sarkus »

I'm not trying to offend anyone, but I really don't understand why I can buy this game from retail or even have a physical copy delivered to me from more than one online site for $20 less then I can download it. I know that Ageod benefits more from a direct download so I'd prefer to support them, but I can hardly justify paying 67% more.

And this can't be helping Matrix Games make any money either.

It's better to die on your feet than to live on your knees
- Midnight Oil
Gray_Lensman

RE: Why is the game cheaper to buy in stores then to download?

Post by Gray_Lensman »

Probably because the stores are buying it in large lots. AGEod has no control over the price that large stores decide to charge for their profit margin. This is no different from other publishing houses. You can bargain shop in stores or elsewhere if you like or you can choose to support them directly by direct download. Entirely your choice.
You've GOT to hold them back!
milkweg

Post by milkweg »

I don't think that is why because digital download has limitless copies and is not a physical medium. There are two possible reasons: they have agreement with retail stores not to sell below them or it is purely to maximize profits and are selling at what they think the game is worth.
rahamy

Post by rahamy »

Resellers get a discounted price - the publisher sets MSRP - the resellers then choose what they sell it at. If they choose to sell $20 below MSRP there's nothing the Publisher can do about it. This is the same in almost every industry, not just game software.

Return to “American Civil War – The Blue and the Gray”