Gloria Desvanecimiento (Fading Glory) pbem 109

Post here to record and share your greatest victories and worst defeats with other players.

Moderator: MOD_WestCiv

IronWarrior

Gloria Desvanecimiento (Fading Glory) pbem 109

Post by IronWarrior »

Greetings,

This will be my attempt at an AAR, I'm not very good at these I'm afraid, but will try to at least give my perspective from Spain's point of view. I highly recommend getting into a pbem game of COG:EE, it is great fun!

I have read a few books on the Peninsular campaign, but am not very familiar with the state and politics of Spain at the time. From what I know Spain was on a decline and is a shell of her former powerful empire. If I make any mistakes, don't hesitate to let me know... I'm always interested in learning new fascinating tidbits about the era.

This is the very first time that I have played a nation other than France, and looks like it will be fun and a nice change of pace (although I do enjoy pretending to be a cyber-Corsican upstart [:D]).

Links to the other AAR's as they materialize:

Russian AAR (Anthropoid): tm.asp?m=2139848
French AAR (terje439): tm.asp?m=2139859
British AAR (Mus): tm.asp?m=2139951
Turkish AAR (06 Maestro): tm.asp?m=2140026
Prussian AAR (aprezto): tm.asp?m=2139837
Austrian AAR (Matto): tm.asp?m=2140326
Franck

RE: Gloria Desvanecimiento (Fading Glory) pbem 109

Post by Franck »

And gosh your good at beieng a cyber-corican upstart :)

Joking :)
IronWarrior

Post by IronWarrior »

ouch! Cheers Franck- looks like I'm getting booed off this stage before I even start. [:D]

So while waiting for the first turn to get going, I looked up the starting set up for Spain. Normally the way things seem to go is that Spain will follow the yellow arrow and Turkey will come from the east claiming territory in Africa. France is at war with the allied nations of Austria and Prussia.

One thing I noticed that is different from the other games is that Spain starts off with the Kingdom of Naples as a protectorate. This also gives me Naples' fleet which is nice. This is the army I start off with in Madrid:

Two things jump out at me for Spain's start.
(1) Notice that all of my generals are two-star (corps commanders). There are some small forces in Africa that I can battle with which will raise the fame of whoever I send there, but I don't think it would be enough to gain a promotion to 3-star (army commander). There is one thing I noticed, which hopefully noone else has seen or maybe won't care about. Lookie what we have here in Piedmont! I will be sending a diplomat there in hopes that either France or Austria will DoW Piedmont, sending her to Spain for protection and giving me that army commander. It's a long shot, but if it works... [:)]

(2) Spain doesn't start off with a barracks level 5, which you need to produce corps containers and guard units. The former is what I really am concerned about, I really like to organize my Divisions into Corps. Madrid has a level 4 barracks, but I don't have enough labor this turn to start building it, so will have to start it next turn.

The other thing I will need to do is start creating a force of at least 40k strong, 4 territories or less away from Piedmont so that if anyone DoW's it (and I have charmed them enough with my diplomat) she will become a protectorate of Spain. I have a feeling that I will need to do this fairly quickly, but I consider this a bonus and am not counting on it... will be nice if it works but I won't expect it to.
IronWarrior

Post by IronWarrior »

July 1792

The diplomacy and posturing has begun! Spain seems to be drawing much more attention than I expected- or wanted. I was hoping to lay low for awhile before making diplomatic decisions, but no such luck.

France has sent a secret proposal which would allow me to not have to keep an eye on my border, but this would ruin any chance of gaining any of the numerous neutral minors as protectorates that France might DoW. Definately not a good deal this early, besides losing any allies I could gain if France starts becoming a problem. I think I'll need to take a wait and see attitude here.

The treacherous Turks! It will be most interesting to see what the Russian reply to this offer from Turkey will be. This is about the same as a declaration of war in my eyes. Not sure where all the hate is coming from! [:D]

The only proposal which doesn't directly affect Spain this turn. Maybe I'll even get an invite to the wedding... [:)]

Other events see Britain and France get upgrades and the only real action this turn was some fine work by my frigates from the Neapolitan fleet against some neutral minor privateers. Also, Russia has declared war on Poland.

Money is now becoming a scarce resource for Spain. Great Britain has announced an intention to make some trades.... time to see what extra resources she's interested in buying.
IronWarrior

Post by IronWarrior »

August 1792

Surprising developments this turn in diplomacy. Prussia declined GB's offer of a royal wedding, and Russia makes a counter offer to Turkey's anti-Spanish proposal. It looks like I will end up with some enemies to the east, so thankfully I have started a good trade relationship with Great Britain (also much needed as Spain was going bankrupt). I may be looking to form closer ties with her in the future.

Light action again this turn as Russia begins her invasion of Poland. I get some sweet justice from more nice work by my frigates, sinking a Turkish privateer!

Sweden looks to expand her borders...

Franck

Post by Franck »

Arg, I hope Protectorate's rules work fine now... With the Polish issue it could end up beieng a pain in the arse...

I already can see Prussian position beieng so complicated in this setup... Russia to the east who probably won't want to share as much as historically from poland... The GIGANTIC austrian empire to the south and the french (not that strong in the beggining...) to the west!!!!!

If your France's player knows what he is doing he wont try to conwuer piedmont... Because that way he can't use the general himself... He will try to charm them to :)  (and god knows he is richer than you)... But I think the gamble is worth it!
IronWarrior

Post by IronWarrior »

Heh this scenario certainly has some very volatile hot spots. [:)] My hope is to charm Piedmont as much as possible so that even if no one DoW's it, she may decide to look to Spain anyway. Who knows what might happen in those hotly contested areas! [;)]
IronWarrior

Post by IronWarrior »

September 1792

Some interesting developments this turn. It appears that the anti-Spanish sentiments to the east are cooling off some, Denmark calls on Great Britain for protection from Sweden, and Austria Prussia and Spain all declare war on neutral minors.

Britain wins at sea while Sweden holds her own on land. Spain's privateer was mercilessly sunk. [:(]

The revised Diplomacy Overview:

Spain begins her conquest of the North African territories:

My diplomats have finally arrived in Piedmont. Took much longer than I expected and they have much work to do. [;)]

Great Britain is beginning to emerge as the power to keep an eye on, however Spain is reliant upon English gold and silver for the forseeable future. A tough spot to be in, but too early to get overly concerned yet.
IronWarrior

Post by IronWarrior »

October 1792

Spain, Prussia, and Russia all win small battles against neutral minors this month. Some more nice work by Spain's frigates. France also lost a privateer from a British frigate according to the Battles Report.

My diplomats begin sweet-talking Piedmont, while Austria and Turkey both become empires. Sweden and Britain end hostilities over Denmark... that has to leave a sour taste for Sweden I'd imagine. [:D] Russia continues to occupy Polish territories. Not sure whose diplomat that is in Mecklenburg, my guess is Sweden's.

Perhaps anti-Spanish sentiment hasn't totally vanished in Turkey... makes me wonder. Of course it could be an innocent proposal, but hmmm? Can't tell if the proposal was made by Austria or Turkey though.

Not too much else to report this turn. The economy is improving for Spain, the treasury is no longer bankrupt, albeit barely so. Production continues in various provinces, I also upped production in Madrid to speed construction of the barrcks which is still many months away from completion. The siege in Morocco will start next month now that their forces were routed there. I also found some Spanish privateers in Sicily this month, not sure if they are new, or the same ones that ran into British frigates last turn.
IronWarrior

Post by IronWarrior »

November 1792

A fairly uneventful turn this time. Russia, Prussia, Spain, and Austria are all performing sieges, but the walls hold in all of them. I have blockaded the port at Tangier and will attack it next turn... this should speed things up some.

There are some secret deals going on as there are no public treaties listed in the diplomacy screen.

Spain finishes construction of her first development. I am trying to build roads in all provinces where my population is maxed out. This will increase productivity while also cutting down on the time it takes for new construction in these areas. I am going with a "boom" style strategy to start so I can boost my economy.

IronWarrior

Post by IronWarrior »

December 1792

Spain has much to celebrate this month. She has the lead in Glory Points (although it will probably only last for a turn), Morocco has been taken as Spain's first expansion, Her subjects are happy, and the economy is improving. Spain's diplomats seem to be doing a good job in Piedmont as well.

In other action, things have not gone as well for the other nations, aside from Prussia. Especially embarassing news out of Russia and Turkey gives Spaniards even more to revel in. Poland stuns the Russian army and rebels in Turkey cause some havoc. It does appear that Austria will storm Krakow and France will do the same at Luxemborg next month. The celebrations in Poland may be short-lived indeed.

Sweden's diplomat is unable to cause a coup in Mecklenburg before Prussia's successful siege, leaving Sweden out in the cold again. She does gain an ally this time, and perhaps two as Britain looks to smooth things over with the "Trondheim Accord" after the ordeal with Denmark.

More good news as Spain finishes construction of a much needed bank. With the improving economy, construction is underway in all non-protectorate provinces and an Infantry Division is forming up in Madrid.

IronWarrior

Post by IronWarrior »

January 1793

The new year starts off with a loud bang! A huge turn for the Austrians as they take control of Poland and now becomes the nation to keep an eye on. France continues the siege at Luxembourg and the British seem to have spotted my privateer in the Aegean Sea that was trying to cause mischief with the Turkish trade with Great Britain (which I hoped would have made Spanish trade even more valuable to GB). I wasn't sure if that privateer was doing anything since nothing shows up in my reports, but apparently she's doing something! So much for trying to be sneaky, but at least she's still afloat... [:D]

Spain declares war on Algeria to continue Her conquest of the northern African territories and Sweden accepts Britain's "Trondheim Accord" proposal.

The updated Diplomacy Overview:

Spain's forces attacking Algeria. I will be using the same strategy as before and I move the fleet into position for a blockade to begin next month. Oran is worth 2 GP's per turn to Spain.

IronWarrior

Post by IronWarrior »

February 1793

Oran is successfully sieged, France does the same at Luxembourg, and Spain continues to keep Her shipping lanes clear of privateers (while Her own privateers avoid British frigates for another turn).

I lower taxes and increase welfare rate to further improve National Morale. Britain and Austria both get upgrades... British infantry will have better firepower, while Austria will now be more effective during sieges (bet they wish they had that during the siege at Krakow).

Russia and Turkey engage in more secret deals, I'd sure like to be a fly on that wall!

Perhaps the biggest news this turn is the Austrian treaty proposals however. There was rumor on the message board that waste would be a problem because of how enormous Austria's empire is. I'm sure it must be uncomfortable being in the spotlight this early on where concrete alliances have yet to be formed.

Factory development complete, as well as the new infantry division. A new heavy cavalry unit begins forming up in Madrid.

I have decided to start going with less of a "boom" strategy now that Poland has fallen. My concern is that the other nations will now turn their attention to the remaining neutral minors, and if a large coalition forms around the Austrians, the other neutral nations may start getting pulled into the fray and I feel like it won't be long before diplomatic proposals will start to pour in. Some tough decisons appear to lie ahead... do I help even the balance out in Europe? or do I ride the coat tails of what appears to be the more powerful side?
IronWarrior

Post by IronWarrior »

March 1793

No battles means a break from the action this month. France resends the same diplomatic proposal, and I have a feeling diplomacy will take center stage for some time. Prussia accepts and Russia declines Austria's proposals to divi' up Poland. Will be interesting to see what Russia has in mind!

The question is a good one... "What would make this work?". At face value, there isn't much meat on the bone of this offer thrown at me. I still aspire to claim Piedmont, mostly Spain's interest is gaining that army commander to lead the troops and the Piedmontese province of Sardinia which is worth a GP per turn to Spain. This proposal seems like it would conflict with this goal. I could counter with a clause of respect neutrality, but that is one less nation that could entice Piedmont to call for protection. I think the answer is still wait and see, and therefore there is really nothing at this time that could make this work. I think I will need to remain on the fence and wait for a better offer. If Piedmont ever does come under Spanish control, I will be more open to negotiations.

Continuing the conquest of the African territories, Spain moves Her forces to Algiers. I need to take this province before I can start to accumulate the GP's for Oran.

An Art development is completed this month, a new infantry division begins to form up in Madrid. I continue to inch the Development slider up in Madrid to speed the completion of the barracks. Ulrimately I'd like to get it erected before that heavy cavalry finishes forming up to give it a little more quality. It is time to start building up the Spanish army into something resembling a fighting force, as much as possible.

IronWarrior

Post by IronWarrior »

April 1793

Spain conquers Algeria and declares war on Tunisia as the conquest of the African territories continues. France successfully sieges Antwerp and takes Flanders, the former protectorate of Austria. Baden calls on France for protection... from whom I am not sure of however.

Britain and Prussia agree to an enforced peace and Britain looks to make a similiar agreement with France including an anti-Austrian clause. Austria has become quite unpopular which I find strange considering it was Russia who first declared war on Poland and it seemed that Austria only wanted a say in Poland's fate.

Roads development completed this turn and a nice boost coming for Spain with the spring levy in the Kingdom of Naples!

IronWarrior

Post by IronWarrior »

May 1793

Spain wins a small battle against Tunisia, and prepare to begin another siege next month. A Tunisian privateer wins an engagement against a Spanish frigate.

France begins trying to create a coup in Piedmont, which is absolutely infuriating for the Spanish. There is little I can do about it, only one of my diplomats have a "legal" rating above zero which is used to attempt to "expel/capture". I've never seen a diplomat captured, only expelled, but this only works as a delaying tactic for a turn or two. I still may try it though, being my only option. If France is successful, that army commander will be lost for the game.

A surprising move by Turkey as it appears they have now turned their attention toward Russia with a proposal sent to Sweden containing anti-Russian sentiments. War lapses between France and Prussia, which leaves Prussia in an interesting spot. This conflicts with the treaty they signed with Austria and will have to make a decision. If they do nothing they will lose GP's each turn. (This is also great to see... something that was fixed in the patch and is now working nicely)

Glory Report for Prussia showing the GP loss they will take each turn that they cannot fulfill their treaty obligations (this used to be -40 and would affect the proposing nation- would have affected Austria before the patch):

Had to go back and check... Prussia only has enforced peace with France for two turns, so not too bad really. They could easily just wait that out and take the GP hits.

Update: I have sent correspondence to France regarding Piedmont. Have asked France to DoW Piedmont which would give me the army commander and Sardinia and in exchange I would cede Piedmont and Savoy and accept an enforced peace agreement.
IronWarrior

Post by IronWarrior »

June 1793

Spain conquers Tunisia and DoW's Tripolitania this month. France and Britain both DoW the Dutch and France forms another protectorate with Wurttemburg. Sweden rejects the anti- Russian proposal from Turkey.

Another infantry division forms up as a new one begins to do so. The barracks will be completed next month in Madrid.

In correspondence with France, they seem unwilling to DoW Piedmont while at war with Austria. I have replied that Spain's intentions are an immediate ceasefire, and have upped the ante by offering an alliance and to help with the war against Austria. For now he has promised to remove diplomats from Piedmont. It is hard to tell if his true intention is war with Spain after resolving their current one with Austria. It should be interesting to see what Le'Terje de France's reply is.

Turkey has also began correspondence, and appears interested in either a peace agreement or an alliance. Diplomacy is in high gear at the moment.
punkrockgrenadier

Post by punkrockgrenadier »

Good and intriguing story. This game is amazingly deep. Keep up the good writing!
IronWarrior

Post by IronWarrior »

Thanks punkrockgrenadier, I'm not very good at these but glad someone is reading it. [:)]
IronWarrior

Post by IronWarrior »

July 1793

Spain wins a small battle against the forces in Tripoli, while Britain shows off her might at sea against the Dutch.

A failed coup in Brunswick, (I believe that is a Prussian diplomat) Spain spreads some goodwill in Italy, and it appears She has improving relations with France.

Some of the biggest news this turn is the lapse of war between Austria and France, and Prussia gains Bavaria as a protectorate... a nice boost for them.

Turkey has sent two proposals concerning Tripoli. Unfortunately we are already at war with Tripolitania and are set to siege this coming month. I will try a counter proposal and see if an agreement can be reached.

The barracks level is completed in Madrid and two more roads developments also complete.

Spain continues to crank out troops in Madrid, I plan to begin another level of barracks this coming month. I can now begin production of Corps containers as well. I'm not sure, but my guess is that my two-star commanders are insufficiently leading my forces (currently in Army containers). I will begin replacing and reforming my forces into Corps so that they can take advantage of the leaders that I have. Hopefully France will still DoW Piedmont so that I will have an Army commander to lead some of these Corps.

Spring levee forces begin to form up in the Kingdom of Naples.

Return to “After Action Reports”