Gloria Desvanecimiento (Fading Glory) pbem 109

Post here to record and share your greatest victories and worst defeats with other players.

Moderator: MOD_WestCiv

IronWarrior

RE: Gloria Desvanecimiento (Fading Glory) pbem 109

Post by IronWarrior »

August 1793

Much to celebrate this month as Spain finds Herself on top of the leaderboard for Glory Points, and the conquest of the African territories is over. A celebration filled with caution, however, as being on top can mean being in the spotlight of scrutiny. Spain will probably not stay on top for long though as I will explain below.

Quite a bit of action this month as Spain successfully sieges Tripoli and conquers Tripolitania. Britain continues to flex Her muscle at sea against the hapless Dutch, while France takes Amsterdam and takes control of the Dutch Republic on land.

As mentioned last turn, the counter proposal to the Ottoman Empire...

The reason Spain will probably not stay atop the board for Glory Points is shown in the Glory Reports for Spain and Austria (shown below in that order). Spain is currently at 13 GP per turn (11 target + 2 culture) vrs 17 GP for Austria per turn (10 target + 4 culture + 1 superior culture + 2 empire). I may enjoy another turn or two on top if Turkey accepts the alliance proposal which I believe is worth 5 GP's. A medium (ish)- term goal of Spain's will be to create more art developments in order to close this gap (increasing GP's per turn for culture). Another thing that will help Spain (hopefully soon) is that She is 19/20 (one point) away from being able to declare Herself an Empire.

Another level barracks begins in Madrid as well as my first Corps container...

An interesting situation developing in the Italian provinces. Spain has been spreading "Goodwill" which may end up paying off. This area is stating to become a hotbed of activity with France and Austria sending diplomats there as well. The yellow parts of the pie graphs show Spain's influence on these neutral minors. France has a diplomat in Lombardy, while Austria has one in Veneto. Not sure what their intentions are yet... coup? charm? we'll see...

IronWarrior

Post by IronWarrior »

September 1793

Spain enjoys another month atop the Glory Points leaderboard and a Royal Wedding is announced between Spain and the Ottoman Empire, Spain's new ally. Celebrations take place from Madrid to Tripolitania!

A break from the action this month as Britain mops up the remnants of the Dutch fleet.

One Art and two more Roads developments are completed this month...

Something I missed last turn, there is another French diplomat in Modena. It's easily to miss diplomats in regions where there are military forces as they tend to become stacked under them and the only way to see them is to right click on the forces there. No mention in the reports as to what that diplomat is doing, I assume either "Charm" or "Goodwill". The other French diplomat in Lombardy has made his intentions known and is attempting an insurrection. The Austrian diplomat in Veneto appears to be using "Charm" as Spain's influence has dropped and Austrian influence climbed quickly.

In Madrid, an infantry division and heavy cavalry form up and another Corps container is underway.
IronWarrior

Post by IronWarrior »

October 1793

Spain gets help from France to stay on top this month as diplomats cause an insurrection in Lombady.

The only action this month was Spain's privateer running into trouble as She was trying to reach shore.

France's diplomat causes an insurrection in the former Austrian protectorate of Lombardy. The other French diplomat in Modena shows his intentions of attempting a coup. This puts me in a bit of a spot as Spain has overwhelming influence here and there is a small Corps at stake. Not sure whether to attempt to expell this diplomat ot not as this might damage relations with France.

Austria's Glory Report. She still receives 2 more GP's per turn than Spain (not counting luxury consumption since that is variable).

Another roads development completed...

Some unrest in Tripoli as rebels take arms... will snuff this out soon, not too much to worry about. Militia units have begun to garrison the western-most African territories as unrest has calmed there.

Had received some correspondence from Prussia between turns about France. They were worried that the French would declare war, but things seemed to have simmered down some. I informed Prussia that it would be hard for Spain to step in while receiving gifts from France unless Prussia did the same. Spain's subjects would have my head, since they are enjoying a healthy economy, and the international community would see me as ungreatful for the subsidies.
IronWarrior

Post by IronWarrior »

November 1793

A pretty quiet month, but another happy month at least. [:)]

The only action this month is against rebels in Tripoli. No subsidies from France this turn to anyone.

Another anti-Russian proposal from Turkey, and the big news this month- the "Smoothing Rhine Waters" offer from Prussia to attempt to ease building tensions with France.

More developments are completed this month...

Elsewhere, it appears that the French diplomat which was attempting a coup in Modena has moved to the Austrian protectorate of Tuscany. I had decided that the small Corps there wasn't worth attempting to expel him, but this makes things even easier- for now at least. I am still more interested in trying to gain that commander in Piedmont, but things have stayed the same there and I don't know if the French will take me up on my previous offer.
IronWarrior

Post by IronWarrior »

December 1793

Spain edges out Austria to stay on top as the year comes to a close. Overall, a great year for Spain. I can only hope for more of the same in the next!

Another quiet month as the rebels make their last stand. Something I forgot from the message board, supply doesn't travel into provinces with a big red 'X'. Nothing I can really do about that, at least casualties were fairly light because many of those units have the "foragers" special ability.

France continues to attempt an insurrection in Tuscany and this month they send out some subsidies.

France accepts Prussias offer (seems like a good deal for the French) and Sweden accepts the anti-Russian proposal from Turkey. Might be something brewing to the east!

The diplomatic game in Italy remains pretty much the same. Austria is gaining some ground over Spain in Veneto and the Papal States. It appears King Matto of Austria has given up on Tuscany and his former protectorate of Lombardy. Can't say I blame him, France's diplomats are quite influential and I suppose one must pick and choose their diplomatic battles.

Two more roads developments completed. My military production has slowed down as I need to raise the production of food a little to keep pace. I am also concentrating on garrisoning the African territories now that unrest is calming there and I can produce militia units in those provinces.

The diplomacy chart and strength statistic graph for the year's end...

IronWarrior

Post by IronWarrior »

January 1794

Spain starts the new year on top... at least for now.

(Time to catch up on this AAR- been slacking off a bit. Not much happening right now though.)

The only action this month is France taking care of an uprising in Palatinate. Spain enjoys subsidies from both France and Britain this month. A secret proposal is rumored between Prussia and Austria.

Spain's forces didn't make it out of the harsh desert this month and take some more attrition hits.

I found out where the French diplomat that was in Modena went... Veneto. Not sure of his intentions yet. A new diplomacy player for the Papal States emerges from Prussia.

IronWarrior

Post by IronWarrior »

February 1794

Really quiet month... the only things of note were more subsidies from France and some completed developments.

IronWarrior

Post by IronWarrior »

March 1794

Spain gets to celebrate being on top for another month, but this may be the last for a while as Austria will probably take the lead next turn.

More subsidies from France, Britain gains the Light Infantry upgrade, and the big news this month... another level barracks completed in Madrid. [:)]

Artillery begins to form up in Madrid. I am beginning to reform my forces into Corps in Naples, and can form a new Corps in Madrid. Presently, I am keeping all units for the new Corps inside various cities in order to save on upkeep.

IronWarrior

Post by IronWarrior »

April 1794

I decide to continue the celebrations this month as Austria is now tied with Spain for the lead. I expect this will be the last of the celebrations for now.

It appears that a failed coup has sent Brunswick to Great Britain for protection. France continues to send subsidies, and two more developments are completed this month.

Time for another spring levee in the Kingdom of Naples. So far I have been incorporating the Neapolitan cavalry into the main army, and garrisoning the lesser quality Neapolitan infantry in Naples. I may decide to create a Neapolitan infantry corps later if needed. For now, they make for a great defense of the Kingdom in case of a future attack.

The main army forms into corps in Naples. I currently have no army commanders, so I believe this to be the optimal way to organize them. I would like to put one cavalry unit in with the infantry corps and will probably do that once I create a third corps for this army. I will also be rotating out the irregular cavalry once better quality units form up.

Harvey Birdman

Post by Harvey Birdman »

The main army forms into corps in Naples. I currently have no army commanders, so I believe this to be the optimal way to organize them. I would like to put one cavalry unit in with the infantry corps and will probably do that once I create a third corps for this army. I will also be rotating out the irregular cavalry once better quality units form up.

In quick combat cavalry do well against infantry in the charge and attack zone, Only cavalry in the charge zone where they get a +4 zone modifier can do well against infantry in the defend zone(it's gives cavalry a -5 modifier against infantry) +4(charge zone) +2 vs inf -5 cav vs inf in defend zone. So I think you'd be better off to make 2 corps with one arty each and split the 1nfantry and cavalry between the 2 corps.

In quick combat:
arty are inf killers +3 modifier
cav are arty killers +3 and +2 vs infantry but -5 vs infantry in defendzone(so net -3 vs inf in the defend zone)
Inf are jack of all trades master of none.

According to the manual, it doesn't matter that you don't have an army commander in instant/quick combat.

From the manual:
Counter-Assault Bonus – Each player gets a chance to win a Tactical bonus, with the collective scores of his three best Generals increasing the chance that he will win.
The winner of this bonus gets a +1 to his own counter-assault results
The loser gets -1 to all his own counter-assault results.
Indirect tactics, efficiently applied, are as inexhaustible as Heaven and Earth, unending as the flow of rivers and streams; like the sun and moon, they end but to begin anew; like the four seasons, they pass away but to return once more. Sun Tzu
IronWarrior

Post by IronWarrior »

Interesting, I wonder how many of those Quick Combat modifiers affect Instant Combat as well. One reason I made a cavalry corps was because of Ricardos' +30 Cavalry mod, although I'm not sure what that does, exactly (or if it has any effect in Instant Combat). If those Quick Combat mods are anything to go by for Instant Combat, I may even split that cavalry corps off into an independent force to try to use only when attacking.
Harvey Birdman

Post by Harvey Birdman »

All of them.
• Instant Combat resolves combat immediately, giving the player a casualty count, and returning to the turn at the strategic level. It is resolved as though the battle had been fought using Quick Combat rules.

I'm don't know if Ricardo's +30 cav modifier applies in instant/quick combat.

I use a cavalry corps like Nappy would have used one. Independent divisions screening,blocking,plundering,halting production on the strategic map. And also on the strategic map use the support move "s" for my army to go into a province with one cavalry division and fight a battle if the enemy tries to sneak through.
Indirect tactics, efficiently applied, are as inexhaustible as Heaven and Earth, unending as the flow of rivers and streams; like the sun and moon, they end but to begin anew; like the four seasons, they pass away but to return once more. Sun Tzu
IronWarrior

Post by IronWarrior »

Thanks again for the tips Harvey, I would love to be able to use the support move function, unfortunately it hasn't seemed to work in pbem for me. I have a feeling it's one of those things that only work in singleplayer.
IronWarrior

Post by IronWarrior »

May 1794

Forgot to post the month of May before the break... not much going on though. More subsidies from France and Sweden gains a couple of upgrades. Sweden and Russia are rumored to enagage in secret talks, and another banks development is complete.

IronWarrior

Post by IronWarrior »

June 1794

Austria spends 10 GP's to declare war on Saxony, giving Spain the lead once again.

Great Britain declares Herself an empire, and a busy month for completed developments in Spain.

IronWarrior

Post by IronWarrior »

July 1794

Celebreations continue this month for Spain. Prussia gains a protectorate and the big news is France DoW's Piedmont. In Madrid, artillery are forming up and when completed I will have one for each corps.

IronWarrior

Post by IronWarrior »

August 1794

Busy month and a good one for Spain. Piedmont calls on Spain for protection (but oddly no war with France), and Genoa calls on France. A couple more small battles, Saxony stunning Austria in one of them!

A couple of treaties sent out by Britain this turn...

Great turn for production as Spain finishes 3 farms, 2 courts, 2 banks, a factory, and a partridge in a pear tree!

So my initial goal has worked so far... I end up with Sardinia and the Piedmontese forces. As per the agreement with France I will cede Savoy and Piedmont. Now the tricky part... In my first pbem when I lost Bavaria (as France) I kept the Bavarian forces. BUT in my second pbem I had lost Holland (also as France) to an insurrection and immediately lost the entire Batavian army. How this will play out in this game, I have no idea. I may very well lose the Piedmontese forces when I cede the provinces to France, if nothing else I gain Sardinia and another GP per turn. The Piedmontese forces are stuck in France however, and I will have to violate French neutrality for a turn to get them out.

IronWarrior

Post by IronWarrior »

September 1794

Time to catch up as I've been slacking off on my AAR duties. [;)]

The Nationalism I upgrade for Austria this month as they continue to battle Saxony. A good upgrade, but an odd choice at this time for them in my opinion, as their National Morale currently stands around 350ish.

France and Spain both send the same agreements as was discussed regarding Piedmont. Note the stark, if comical difference in the language of the two titles. [:D] Funny, but also concerning at the same time. Britain has some diplomatic success this month.

A couple of farms are completed this turn.

IronWarrior

Post by IronWarrior »

October 1794

Much to celebrate for Spain this month as she (and also Prussia) is now an empire!

A couple of completed developments this month, of course Turin now belongs to France.

Spain's main army is heading back home, however due to some failed movement there was some nasty attrition at sea.

A big sigh of relief as Spain does indeed get to keep the Piedmontese forces and the army commander (Devins) after ceding the territories to France.

IronWarrior

Post by IronWarrior »

November 1794

Austria regains the lead this month after the successful siege of Dresden. An insurrection attempt begins in Bavaria, probably getting close to the time for the insurrection party to begin. [:(]

An interesting treaty, well... more like a declaration... from France to announce that they do not intend to attack the Ottoman Empire. I can only assume this is to appease Turkey while France declares war on one of their allies. Question is... do they intend war with Spain? or Great Britain? My guess is Britain as I doubt France would have thrown so many subsidies at Spain just to fatten her up for a slaughter.

Return to “After Action Reports”