Leaders and allies

Share your gameplay tips, secret tactics and fabulous strategies with fellow gamers.
jkBluesman

Leaders and allies

Post by jkBluesman »

I have searched the forum for answers to these questions, but could not find them. I hope the experienced players still look at this forum though the game is not the newwest anymore.

Is it possible to avoid that an ally calls my troops as reinforcements (Spain has no problems with attacking superior forces in Tirol as he just uses the French armies)?

Do you asign special commanders for corps in an army or do you just leave all commanders (1 to 3 stars) with the army?

How do the zones of control work for screening artillery (do you need units on both sides to protect it, on the hex more forward of the artillery or is more backwards enough)?
"War is the field of chance."
Carl von Clausewitz
sean82uk

RE: Leaders and allies

Post by sean82uk »

I wouldn't mind knowing peoples opinions to these myself.
Especially as to the screening of the artillery as the enemy still catches my artillery out now and then.

As to allocating Generals to corps, I can only tell you what I do..
I do not think it matters too much what you do as during the hex war you assign the generals individually to whatever division needs it anyhow.
For the sake of historical accuracy however I like to, especially when I’m the French as I like to have Davout in charge of the III Corps, South IV, Lannes V etc…
jupiter

RE: Leaders and allies

Post by jupiter »

It DOES matter what you do with your Generals.

A Corps Commanders ratings are added to all members of the Corps, but only if he is attached to one. Same for an Army Commander (3 ***). They will be randomly attached to a unit (within the Corps or Army they are attached to) but the bonuses apply to all divisions in that unit.

Identify your best Generals, and assingn the best (and the most) units possible to them.

Also, protect your best Generals. I had Napolean killed in action once. Now I attach him (yes you can move them after the battle begins) to my fastest cavalry unit, and stick him in a safe place behind all the action until the enemy retreats (as eventually they always do). With the rest, I move them from a unit I am about to engage with to one further from the action. You can move them unlimited times within a single turn, as long as you have an open unit to move them to.

It's a little extra work, but you can't build Generals and you seldom have enough (at least of the really good ones).

Return to “The War Room”