Game enhancements

Commander – Napoleon at War is the second in a series of high level turn based strategy games. It spans the Napoleonic Wars from 1805 to 1815, allowing players to control France or the Coalitions against it through the entire period or in shorter scenarios. Easy to learn, with fun and addictive gameplay, this is a Napoleonic wargame in the style of the old "Panzer General".
kirk23

RE: Game enhancements

Post by kirk23 »

Well I have news for you, I'm heavily involved with Commander The Great War, and its new up and coming 1.40 patch. This game Commander Napoleon At War, is being discussed as to upgrading and its future development.[;)]
Make it so!
Rodwonder

Post by Rodwonder »

Now I'm thinking of getting Commander The Great War too...
Rod T DeMore
Zorch

Post by Zorch »

ORIGINAL: Rodwonder

Now I'm thinking of getting Commander The Great War too...

I have Commander The Great War and I'm thinking of getting this one...
kirk23

Post by kirk23 »

Your in for a treat with the 1.40 patch for Commander The Great War enjoy. Zorch I would stop thinking about getting Commander Napoleon At War, just go and buy it now! ( Commander Napoleon At War will be getting upgraded soon )[:)]
Make it so!
Uncle_Joe

Post by Uncle_Joe »

Yes, this is actually a pretty solid game. I have created a mod of my own with some similarities to yours (Spain as a French Ally and tweaks to the naval aspects of the game). I've also piddled around with some of the research and unit stats but not too many major changes there. I also set it that by the end of the game pretty much every nation will have joined one side or the other.

The AI is pretty woeful though once you know what you're doing. I've played a few HtH games via hotseat and they were a blast. I highly recommend this game for some sort of MP experience.

Hopefully someone actually picks up the ball and continues to improve this game. I think all of the basic framework is there, it just needs some tweaks here and there to be a truly great light/abstract Napoleonic wargame.
kirk23

Post by kirk23 »

It is my aim to pick up the ball and continue to improve the game, but first I need to help get Commander The Great War 1.40 patch completed and released officially.
Make it so!
Agathosdaimon

Post by Agathosdaimon »

okay grreat! i suppose the AI in CNAW would just need further tweaking. I think its okay at present but it seems limited. would there be any changes to the diplomacy - that its so fixed when particular countries join the fight against napoleon - i would like to see that if you play ahistorically then it can have effects that are ahistorical - such as when austria might join the fight in the 1813 campaign or etc etc
pzgndr

Post by pzgndr »

ORIGINAL: kirk23
Well I have news for you, I'm heavily involved with Commander The Great War, and its new up and coming 1.40 patch. This game Commander Napoleon At War, is being discussed as to upgrading and its future development.[;)]

It would be very nice to see an upgrade to CNAW along the lines of what was done with the Grand Strategy mod for CEAW. There's still untapped potential with this game, it just needs a little more TLC. Enhance the map and graphics a bit, adjust the unit parameters and costs etc. like the Alaric mod started to be more realistic, and throw in some more events for historical flavor. Sounds good. [8D]
Bill Macon
Empires in Arms Developer
Strategic Command Developer
Agathosdaimon

Post by Agathosdaimon »

it would be great if the victory conditions for scenarios coul dbe a little more varied or realistic - it seems the goal to simply capture vienna is the only goal for France in the 1809 and 1813 campaigns - this seems too abstracted if the capture of vienna is representing the defeat of austria on the field also.
kirk23

Post by kirk23 »

I will be looking to address many in game issue's when we begin updating this game, all ideas for improvement welcome thank you![;)]
Make it so!
Agathosdaimon

Post by Agathosdaimon »

AI is always the big one - and i think to make sure that is rich and varied with each of the scenarios
Dorb

Post by Dorb »

Bought the Great War and Europe at War and like them so much I believe I will grab this next month before the sale ends as I am lacking a few games in this time period.
I am more afraid of an army of 100 sheep led by a lion than an army of 100 lions led by a sheep.
… Charles Maurice de Talleyrand-Perigord
pzgndr

Post by pzgndr »

ORIGINAL: Agathosdaimon
AI is always the big one - and i think to make sure that is rich and varied with each of the scenarios

I recall that CNAW has some AI improvements over CEAW (like AI actually using commanders) that were never backfitted into the earlier game. The Grand Strategy mod effort for CEAW did make some code changes but didn't do anything to the AI itself, but did add some unit events and other AI bonuses depending on which side you play. I will be curious to see what will be done with this game. Any hints?? Throw us a bone!
Bill Macon
Empires in Arms Developer
Strategic Command Developer
Agathosdaimon

Post by Agathosdaimon »

indeed, overall i want more interest by Matrix to be thrown towards its stirling napoleonic wargames - CNAW, and Frank Hunters Campaigns on the Danube, CoG, EiA NiI, - all tooo good and demand love and attention. CNAW is so much better than people realise
kirk23

Post by kirk23 »

Yes CNAW is a very good game that has been sadly neglected,So looking forward to the New Year, I hope to start improving this game further, with some official help from Lords Studio & Slitherine.[;)]
Make it so!
Agathosdaimon

Post by Agathosdaimon »

great, well as i say the AI is the biggest thing that needs tightening up - i just played through the 1806 campaign on normal setting - no advantage to either side and inabout 20 minutes i won as france - just leisurely steam over the AI that barely bothered to even field a single unit against me - they have units, i know they do and they have resources but they dont bother to make use of any of them. They could easily put up a solid defense but they just just seem impotent in the extreme - i think the french is ok i have heard but teh coalition is like Rome total war 2 release version brain dead.
I wonder, did developers just give up before finishing the AI or was their standard for a challenging AI just set way too low. a game has got to have an AI that will at least make things enjoyable.

I am not sure if the AI is bad in all the campaigns as i had played the 1813 one previously and lost as france.
Hotschi

Post by Hotschi »

Aw heck it's time for me to get the 1st Napoleonic Era strategy game. I am on holiday for another week or so and my Secretary of Finance (aka wife) is at work - the opportunity is here, now [:D]
"A big butcher's bill is not necessarily evidence of good tactics"

- Wavell's reply to Churchill, after the latter complained about faint-heartedness, as he discovered that British casualties in the evacuation from Somaliland had been only 260 men.
kirk23

Post by kirk23 »

Hi Hotschi, I have made available a new download link for the 1805 Mod.

Make it so!
Hotschi

Post by Hotschi »

Excellent, thank you - Happy New Year!
"A big butcher's bill is not necessarily evidence of good tactics"

- Wavell's reply to Churchill, after the latter complained about faint-heartedness, as he discovered that British casualties in the evacuation from Somaliland had been only 260 men.
prince_blucher

Post by prince_blucher »

ORIGINAL: kirk23

I thought you might like a heads up,that there is a big chance, that this game will get a major update in the not to distant future, but then again, going by the lack of activity here, that might be a pointless exercise I think. If there are gamers who would like to see this great game thrive, now is the time to say so, all comments welcome![;)]

I just bought the game and have played the tutorial campaign. I enjoyed it very much, having familiarity with CTGW really helped, even though this is an older game. If CNAW were to be updated and rendered like CTGW then it would be a polished looking product indeed. I do have a number of questions about the game but I can often solve them by gameplay. I will play your mod as soon as I've played some more.

I'm supporting this game!

Return to “Commander - Napoleon at War”