Peninsular War

Frank Hunter's Campaigns on the Danube is an operational study of the campaigns along the Danube in 1805 and 1809. Campaigns on the Danube's system focuses on trying to present the player with the same sort of decisions placed on their historical counterparts; how to feed an army and move that army according to a plan, all the while trying to fight a campaign. There is also an option to allow players to play out the battles with miniatures and input the results.
Nikel

Peninsular War

Post by Nikel »

Just wondering.

Would it be possible to create a PW game with Frank Hunter engine?

And a quiz. To which game correspond this map? [;)]

Rasputitsa

RE: Peninsular War

Post by Rasputitsa »

It would make a good scenario and a nice map, but don't know which game this comes from.

Frank is working on additional scenarios for CotD, for the 'Elbe' campaign 1806 and hopefully 'Leipzig' 1813, but that would require a much expanded map.
"In politics stupidity is not a handicap" - Napoleon

“A people which is able to say everything becomes able to do everything” - Napoleon

“Among those who dislike oppression are many who like to oppress" - Napoleon
Nikel

Post by Nikel »

New game I guess, not only 1813, but of course the PW. We can dream.

You won the quiz, nobody else answered [;)]

Very difficult because if fact the game was never released. Draft map with some errors, for example Badajoz was a fortress.

Boardgame by Kevin Zucker, Highway to Madrid.

Rasputitsa

Post by Rasputitsa »

Still it is a very nice map and the Peninsular War would make a good scenario for CotD, although all of Spain would be a big a project. [:)]

“A people which is able to say everything becomes able to do everything” - Napoleon

Nikel

Post by Nikel »

Yes, huge.

That is the reason I asked before whether the engine was capable of handling a strategic war along so many years, 1807 to 1814.
Rasputitsa

Post by Rasputitsa »

ORIGINAL: Nikel

Yes, huge.

That is the reason I asked before whether the engine was capable of handling a strategic war along so many years, 1807 to 1814.

I don't know, but the present game is covering one aspect of a long war, namely with the 'Danube' campaign, and Frank is working on scenarios for the 'Elbe' 1806 campaign and hopefully 'Leipzig' 1813.

So, if it ever happens, the Peninsular might be covered in a series of campaigns, but that is unlikely with the work that Frank has already undertaken.

But there is always hope, one day.

Nikel

Post by Nikel »

The only one I know is a scenario in Ageod Napoleon's campaigns.

But it is a too long conflict in a too small map (the game included campaigns along the napoleonic wars, so it was extracted from a map of Europe).

You are the only one that seems to have insider info and contact with FH. He was gone for years, then reappeared, but gone again?
npsergio

Post by npsergio »

Maybe not the whole campaign... but the Napoleon Invasion in November (French starting in the Basque Country, Spanish Armies arround, and final objective Madrid) could be interesting.
Or maybe different campaigns... like Britsh retreat towards La Coruña, etc... There are plenty of them in Spain.
altipueri

Post by altipueri »

Whilst waiting you may enjoy reading:

The Man Who Broke Napoleon's Codes - by Mark Urban

It's about the Peninsula campaigns. I've just finished it.

https://www.worldcat.org/title/man-who- ... c/47183418
Nikel

Post by Nikel »

I have many books on the subject.

It is going to be a long wait [;)]

Return to “Campaigns on the Danube 1805 - 1809”