v3.05 AAR (with house rules ) continues

Frank Hunter's Campaigns on the Danube is an operational study of the campaigns along the Danube in 1805 and 1809. Campaigns on the Danube's system focuses on trying to present the player with the same sort of decisions placed on their historical counterparts; how to feed an army and move that army according to a plan, all the while trying to fight a campaign. There is also an option to allow players to play out the battles with miniatures and input the results.
Rasputitsa

v3.05 AAR (with house rules ) continues

Post by Rasputitsa »

Was waiting for v3.06, but ???

I have restarted the v 3.05 AAR (with house rules)and posted a few more turns from post #33, real life keeps getting in the way, but more turns to come, as I think it's reaching a climax on the Danube.

https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=4625465

I am using a lot of detail in the posted AAR to show the full depth of the game, but here is a smaller taster of the action in the main area of activity over the last few game days.

'I like it when a plan comes together'.

The ongoing battle for PASSAU was key, as with both armies occupying both banks of the DANUBE, whoever held the crossing at PASSAU would split the opposing army. It also seemed that the Austrian LOC (main supply depot) was at PASSAU.

NAPOLEON managed to occupy PASSAU on the 1st May 1809, but DAVOUT's III Corps was so disorganised that NAPOLEON found himself alone in the town, but expecting to be joined by MOUTON, who was bringing the Imperial Guard down the North bank of the DANUBE, after having crossed upriver at DEGGENDORF.

However, when the FOW cleared it revealed many enemy units in the area East of PASSAU, as the position is where the retreating Austrians were reorganising and they struck back, causing MOUTON to retire back towards DEGGENDORF (on his own initiative) with many wounded. Further Austrian advances through SCHAERDING, on the South bank, stopped DAVOUT from uniting his disorganised corps, so embarrassingly, with no support, NAPOLEON was forced to flee through the rain from PASSAU, taking the muddy road North for DEGGENDORF.

LANNES and MASSENA had earlier won the battles at LANDSHUT, at some cost, and had pushed on to the river INN at BRAUNAU and were attempting to close a trap on the Austrians at SCHAERDING (circled #1).

The Austrians held their ground, near SCHAERDING, and repeatedly drove back the leading French cavalry units attempting to close the gap, this was all resolved by the computer, as skirmishes, and no actual battles resulted. This allowed the Austrian units, which were about to be trapped North of the INN, to hurry away to safety. This could be seen during turn resolution, as I watched helplessly as Austrian units streamed through the gap.

On the 3rd May 1809 NAPOLEON, with DAVOUT, attempting to catch the fleeing Austrians, fought the battle of SCHAERDING against CHARLES, who had elements of HILLER's VI and LOUIS' V Corps as a rearguard. Being cautious I launched an 'escalating assault', as CHARLES has a large number of artillery and NAPOLEON had none (the cost of losing III Corps artillery earlier), so a 'frontal assault' may have been costly. When the battle opened CHARLES was 'defending in depth' and it was then that I noticed that the battle was actually in the town of SCHAERDING, with town 'artillery effect 0%' on the screen, which I am not sure of the meaning. The manual states in 14.4.1 Terrain Multipliers - Artillery /Town 110% , which is not 0%, but then the Manual has not been undated.

Does this mean CHARLES' artillery was not effective in the town ? Either way, NAPOLEON was unable to launch a killing blow, but significant loss was inflicted on the Austrians and several of their units routed.

Meanwhile a single unit of DAVOUT's corps (Morand infantry) had reached PASSAU and into battle with the many Austrian units in the area. After a heroic stand, Morand lost more than half his division, but stayed in the town, although ownership did not change, as the Austrians were still there as well. Morand was withdrawn next day to recover his loses closer to the LOC.

On the 5th May DAVOUT managed to get sufficient of his corps together and, with NAPLOEON attached, entered PASSAU without a fight and the crossing was secured, splitting the Austrian army.

LANNES and MASSENA, after the first failed attempt to trap the Austrians on the South bank of the DANUBE near SCHAERDING, were directed towards LINZ. The new objective was the crossing (circled #2), with Bruyer cavalry detached as a screen towards LAMBACH. DAVOUT with NAPOLEON remained in PASSAU to hold the crossing and protect the rear areas, the LOC at LANDAU and supply lines.

LEFEBVRE who had been following on from his outstanding defence of STRAUBING, had caught up and passed PASSAU to clear the South bank of the DANUBE downriver from PASSAU.

The second attempt to trap the Austrians depended on holding PASSAU and reaching the crossing near LINZ in time, by the longer route. However the Austrians had not retreated far and seemed intent on recapturing PASSAU, by attacking from both sides of the river.

The turn resolution for 6th May showed that the Austrians on the South bank had realised their danger from LANNES and MASSENA's move and started to escape over the target bridge near LINZ. As the computer processed the turn, I could see unit after unit crossing the DANUBE bridge to safety.

When the turn for 7th May opened, LANNES and MASSENA were in position and the net had closed, with LEFEBVRE moving in from PASSAU to complete the trap.

But what had I caught in that net ? Shuffling the stacks showed that, whilst many Austrians had escaped, LOUIS' V Corps was trapped. The continuously muddy roads slowed the advance and probably delayed the closing of the trap, but a whole corps ( 5 units) is a good prize.

There is still a sizeable Austrian force near PASSAU, which is in increasing danger, as LANNES and MASSENA push on past LINZ and ENNS. On the South bank, continuing to push the Austrians downriver will stop Austrian stragglers from rejoining and they will be unable to repair the damage of the previous battles. On the North bank, as the Austrians lose control of the DANUBE, what remains should be pushed towards WIMPERK and BUDWEIS and away from main scene of action.

I have been using 'engage' marching stance to try and get to grips with the Austrians and gain access to more aggressive battle strategy options, because if you use 'defend' marching stance you mainly get defensive battle strategy options when a battle occurs. However, the 'engage' march stance has its own dangers, as your units will chase enemy units, often ignoring the objectives and leaving other units vulnerable, which is how I lost III Corps artillery to the Austrian rearguard in an earlier turn and temporarily crippled DAVOUT's III Corps.

The computer moves all the units in response to your orders, resolving small conflicts with enemy units as skirmishes, presenting battles between larger forces to be resolved, after you have chosen your battle strategy.

It has been a confused and complex situation, with units of both sides mixed and some orders going astray, but the computer has successfully moved both armies in WEGO, with the French mostly under my orders, but sometimes with units taking their own initiative, whilst the Austrians have manoeuvred realistically.

Another reviewer noted that you only get to give orders to a few command units, but the choice of orders, and when to issue them, produces potentially complex and realistic situations. There is plenty to do in the game, monitoring the state of all your individual divisional units and corps commanders, detaching, reattaching and transferring units, for independent tasks, or to rearrange corps OOB, monitoring supplies (I am using computer controlled supply) and starting extra supply convoys to fill gaps, or pre-position supply depots. I have found a lot to do in this apparently simple game, whilst the computer works through the boring stuff, avoiding the usual 'click-fest' of turn based games.

A believable result, strategically very enjoyable, with many options and choices, but always uncertain and full of surprises. [8D]

Attachments
NAP02070..Encircle.jpg
NAP02070..Encircle.jpg (194.6 KiB) Viewed 283 times
"In politics stupidity is not a handicap" - Napoleon

“A people which is able to say everything becomes able to do everything” - Napoleon

“Among those who dislike oppression are many who like to oppress" - Napoleon
Rasputitsa

RE: v3.05 AAR (with house rules ) continues

Post by Rasputitsa »

Double post [:(]

“A people which is able to say everything becomes able to do everything” - Napoleon

Rasputitsa

Post by Rasputitsa »

The game is not perfect, as there some problems which have been discussed on this forum.

Playing the AAR turn 6th May into the 7th May, the first time, resulted in the encirclement move shown above ending with LEFEBVRE, LANNES and MASSENA's corps all stacked with the trapped Austrians, who all faded except for one Austrian unit and then the stack 'locked'. None of the corps commanders, or any of the individual French units would accept orders, they stayed locked in the hex with the one Austrian.

This has happened before, when playing a posted AAR as Austrians against the French AI, where the AI neatly trapped one of my Austrian corps until only one unit was left, then the stack locked. It did not affect me as I had lost all my units and the AI only had two units locked in the stack, so the game went on.

In the present game I played on for seven more turns and the three French corps stayed locked, with the single Austrian LINDENAU unit stuck in the hex with 20+ French units, none of which will enact the orders which have been set in the three French corps commanders' boxes.

With none of the three corps (all are confident and supplied) responding, even if units are detached and given separate unit orders, none will respond.

Losing three corps is a show stopper, so I replayed the turn and got the result shown in the above post, so the game can go on.

I am game saving before and after each turn resolution phase in case of problems, which don't happen often and the game is so variable that, on replaying the turn, any problem is unlikely to repeat in the replay.

None of this detracted from the enjoyment of the game and looking forward to completing the AAR.

Hopefully this and other issues will be fixed in v3.06, but the game remains one of the best available in this class.

Attachments
freeze.jpg
freeze.jpg (193.29 KiB) Viewed 283 times

altipueri

Post by altipueri »

Thanks Rasputitsa.
I emailed Frank a couple of weeks ago but no direct response or by him back here. I hope he's OK.

PS on myPC your picture or screenshot doesn't appear but I am travelling and linking via phone hot spot.
Rasputitsa

Post by Rasputitsa »

ORIGINAL: altipueri

Thanks Rasputitsa.
I emailed Frank a couple of weeks ago but no direct response or by him back here. I hope he's OK.

PS on myPC your picture or screenshot doesn't appear but I am travelling and linking via phone hot spot.

I see on my PC that the forum has lost the image for the above post, but unfortunately I'm also travelling and don't have that image on my laptop, but I will refresh it when I get home.

Real life often get's in the way and I guess that is what has happened to Frank, because he was so positive initially.

Frank said in an earlier mail that the fixes for v3.06 where almost done, so hoped that the update might be issued with what's available up to now, but either way, I am having a lot of enjoyment out of the game, whenever there is time.[8D]

Return to “Campaigns on the Danube 1805 - 1809”