Version 3.06 under way

Frank Hunter's Campaigns on the Danube is an operational study of the campaigns along the Danube in 1805 and 1809. Campaigns on the Danube's system focuses on trying to present the player with the same sort of decisions placed on their historical counterparts; how to feed an army and move that army according to a plan, all the while trying to fight a campaign. There is also an option to allow players to play out the battles with miniatures and input the results.
npsergio

RE: Version 3.06 under way

Post by npsergio »

ORIGINAL: FrankHunter

Last thing on the list seems to be miniatures. Currently in a solitaire game as the Austrian there's no way to have it go to miniatures.

Is there any demand for this? Would there be any demand for the game outputting the forces involved in the format of particular rules like Volley & Bayonet, Grande Armee, Age of Eagles etc?

As a matter of fact... I have the idea to replace the miniatures for a tactical PC game. So, it would be great, at least, to have the option to use miniatures regardless of the game type selected.

Just my opinion.
lecrop

Post by lecrop »

ORIGINAL: npsergio

Last thing on the list seems to be miniatures. Currently in a solitaire game as the Austrian there's no way to have it go to miniatures.

Is there any demand for this? Would there be any demand for the game outputting the forces involved in the format of particular rules like Volley & Bayonet, Grande Armee, Age of Eagles etc?

As a matter of fact... I have the idea to replace the miniatures for a tactical PC game. So, it would be great, at least, to have the option to use miniatures regardless of the game type selected.

Just my opinion.
I agree 100%
Rasputitsa

Post by Rasputitsa »

Change for the v3.06 update:

This is the battle screen where the player has to decide the tactics for the battle from the listed options. Unlike other battle screens, it has no information on the battle hex except hex I/D, no terrain information, or whether it is in a town.

You see this information in the following battle screens, but too late to help in making your battle decision and the info panel itself blocks your view of the map.

The info panel shows a 'List of starting forces' (friendly) and those who will arrive later, but Terrain information is also important to your decision on battle tactics.

It would help if the screen can carry the same hex information as the other battle screens.

Attachments
03.05.1809..17Start.jpg
03.05.1809..17Start.jpg (194.38 KiB) Viewed 475 times
"In politics stupidity is not a handicap" - Napoleon

“A people which is able to say everything becomes able to do everything” - Napoleon

“Among those who dislike oppression are many who like to oppress" - Napoleon
Rasputitsa

Post by Rasputitsa »

Following on from the previous post, the initial 'battle' notification is the only chance you have to fully assess the battle hex terrain implications (by mouse over) of your battle strategy choices, once you have selected 'Continue' you can no longer fully see the map and check the terrain.

The image in the previous post shows the battle strategy info screen, which is slightly transparent, but with the CHEMKID map mod and its softer colours it is hard to see the battle hex terrain detail. My own fault, but I find the need sometimes to check out the battle hex terrain again, before making battle strategy decisions and having that information repeated on the battle strategy screen would help.

You don't get to see your battle strategy choices until you hit 'Continue', but then you cannot easily check the terrain again.

Attachments
03.05.1809..rtsmall.jpg
03.05.1809..rtsmall.jpg (192.57 KiB) Viewed 475 times

“A people which is able to say everything becomes able to do everything” - Napoleon

Rasputitsa

Post by Rasputitsa »

altipueri

Post by altipueri »

I think I'll start a new game with 3.05 and just hope I have to abandon it if 3.06 arrives.

I'm also re-reading Alistair Horne's "How far from Austerlitz?"

Lots of time to play computer games this summer it seems now the pubs are closed. :)
FrankHunter

Post by FrankHunter »

Will be back soon guys. Had a long pause due to my mum needing being taken for tests, then being diagnosed with cancer then having to find her an assisted living space and finally moving her and getting rid of a lot of her stuff. I've been back at it for over a month now, tweaking the AI and hopefully can get this new version wrapped up soon.

altipueri

Post by altipueri »

Thanks for letting us know Frank.

I went through something similar a couple of years ago.

We look forward to the update.

PS I had a good victory over the Austrians so perhaps I don't want anything improved in case I can't repeat that performance.
Tejszd

Post by Tejszd »

Will be back soon guys. Had a long pause due to my mum needing being taken for tests, then being diagnosed with cancer then having to find her an assisted living space and finally moving her and getting rid of a lot of her stuff. I've been back at it for over a month now, tweaking the AI and hopefully can get this new version wrapped up soon.

Thank you for the update! Totally understand that family comes first....
FrankHunter

Post by FrankHunter »

Thank you very much, my brother got off easy, he lives about 1200 km away :)

What I've been doing lately is pretty much all "under the hood" stuff. Checking generation of fatigue, stress, stragglers and recovery of same, over and over in different situations.

Also going through the AI in some detail and watching its decision-making. I've been introducing more granularity as to how the AI forms its plans. I felt the way the AI would after a turn where there was a "crisis", close down a plan and open a new one was too "jerky" as it could sometimes go back and forth between plans, unsure as to which to stick with. So I've introduced some fuzzy logic so that the AI will become less satisfied with a plan but won't make a sudden break from it. Instead it will wind it down more slowly and move more gradually to a new plan. A huge crisis, like having half your army defeated in a single day should still merit an immediate change of direction.

Rasputitsa

Post by Rasputitsa »

We went through the same period of our lives a few years back and it is a very difficult and emotional time, as you try to look after the person who used to look after you.

Thanks for letting us know and updating on the progress.

The AI has often keep me guessing, thinking that it's beaten, then it strikes back.

The biggest problems I have found recently is units being frozen in place when stacked with enemy units of an almost destroyed enemy corps and units failing to re-attach when ordered, after a period of detachment.

Rasputitsa

Post by Rasputitsa »

ORIGINAL: altipueri

I think I'll start a new game with 3.05 and just hope I have to abandon it if 3.06 arrives.

I'm also re-reading Alistair Horne's "How far from Austerlitz?"

Lots of time to play computer games this summer it seems now the pubs are closed. :)

Slowly working through the posted AAR against the AI Austrians, using house rules for balance, but I think I have reached a tipping point where the Austrians may finally be giving way. However I have been wrong before.

Got distracted by picking up on a mothballed PFE 'Italian Campaign' scenario, playing Axis against an Allied AI. Quickly found myself being out-manoeuvred, losing valuable units and realising that I should be taking more time to think though the moves. I hope to post a resume of the good bits, then back to CotD.

davidgillsol

Post by davidgillsol »

Well behind in realising another update was on the cards, but having read through the list can I add my pleas to keep the ability to play with miniatures, and then import the results back into the game. Against the AI would be great as well as would be a functioning Napoleonic campaign game with battles that could be played on the table or let the compute determine it as it already did. from the early comments I would second Blucher as a rule set but in one sense I dont think it matters- if the game could print out or let you see the listing of troops and numbers involved any halfways competent tabletop general can work out the individual units for a tabletop game.
Putting the results of the tabletop game back in the compute is always the tricky part.............
Tejszd

Post by Tejszd »

FrankHunter, hope everything has settled down for you and that you’ve been able to get back at v3.06?
Rasputitsa

Post by Rasputitsa »

ORIGINAL: Tejszd

FrankHunter, hope everything has settled down for you and that you’ve been able to get back at v3.06?

Frank is still working on the CotD update, although it looks like being more than just a tweak and will probably appear as v3.10.

The interrelated actions within the game can cause unexpected complications, which have to be worked through and, although the game will still look essentially the same, a lot of work is going on 'under the hood'.

altipueri

Post by altipueri »

Glad to see a post from you Rasputitsa as I was beginning to despair.

Do you know if Frank wants some play testers?
Rasputitsa

Post by Rasputitsa »

ORIGINAL: altipueri

Glad to see a post from you Rasputitsa as I was beginning to despair.

Do you know if Frank wants some play testers?

I'll certainly make that suggestion, watch this space.[:)]

npsergio

Post by npsergio »

Any news?

Please, please, please... [&o]
Arthur Wellesley

Post by Arthur Wellesley »

In earlier versions in the highest FOW (Reports only) I liked the feature, in which you could fight also miniature battles: When a battle was initiated in a hex where the player as the commander in chief was also present, you had the options for the battle tactics or to battle it out with the miniature feature.

I hope that this will be included again in the next version. As far as I can remember, this was possible in the previous versions, but not in the 3.05.
npsergio

Post by npsergio »

ORIGINAL: Arthur Wellesley

In earlier versions in the highest FOW (Reports only) I liked the feature, in which you could fight also miniature battles: When a battle was initiated in a hex where the player as the commander in chief was also present, you had the options for the battle tactics or to battle it out with the miniature feature.

I hope that this will be included again in the next version. As far as I can remember, this was possible in the previous versions, but not in the 3.05.

I agree [&o]

Return to “Campaigns on the Danube 1805 - 1809”