build units error

Pride of Nations is a turn-based historical strategy game set in the colonial era of the 19th century, where the player takes control of a country and guides it through industrialization, military conquest, and colonization. This release from AGEOD follows such successful historical strategy games as Birth of America, American Civil War, Napoleon's Campaigns, Rise of Prussia and Wars in America.
panzers

build units error

Post by panzers »

I am not able to build units.
I have read that part of the manual several times and am simply not able to build
loki100

RE: build units error

Post by loki100 »

a wee bit more information would help [;)]

but, do you have the needed inputs (men, officers, raw materials)? Do you have the money to pay for the build? Are you trying to build units in regions where you can't build that unit?

You need to have the unit tab and the build tab selected - if you then click on a unit you'll see one of three colours in the provinces (i'm going off memory here) - green can built there and can build now (ie you have all the needed bits), pale green, you can build there but not now (ie you lack some resource or the other), yellow (no longer sure) you can't build that unit in that location.

In general I'd suggest posting PoN questions on the AGEOD forum, its far busier so more likely that someone will pick up a query.

As a suggestion - have a look at my old AAR 'Manufacturing Italy', its a few patches out of date now but may help you with the screens and how things tie together.

Final bit of advice, don't build anything at the start. Depending on who you are playing, either your at start army is quite adequate or you can't afford to build - let your economy run a few turns and settle down before committing any resources. Its not a conventional war game where you need to build up rapidly, even Central Europe will start peacefully
panzers

Post by panzers »

ok, I'm not sure about anything right now for I have to learn the game.
I was doing good until I ran into this.I start out as France with $700 I believe, so I have plenty of money.
I have to build in the green regions, so that's what I tried to do.
I'm pretty sure I have the resources(have to check on that first. Haven't gone that far in the manual yet.)
I have tried to post in the AGEOD forum, but I am not getting an email confirming my intent to post in their forum. I don't know why.
All I care about now is learning the game and part of that is learning how to buildunits. Not playing yet. I just go back and forth between the manual and the game itself.
Thank you for your prompt reply and look forward to hearin back from you.
loki100

Post by loki100 »

ok

follow this link: http://www.ageod-forum.com/viewtopic.php?f=326&t=36162

it'll take you to a lot of lets play videos and may well help you with the interface and the basics of economic management

Have a look at this: http://www.ageod-forum.com/viewtopic.php?f=326&t=28767

unfortunately after AGEOD's forum software was changed the table of contents doesn't work but you can use that to guess at the location of posts around game UI/systems that may well help orientate you.

Unfortunately the manual was never very good and is now out of date in any case.

If you want a guide that is more focussed on managing a war, check this out: http://www.ageod-forum.com/viewtopic.php?f=326&t=35657

If you haven't, I'd strongly suggest play a couple of the smaller scenarios, especially if you are not used to the AGE game system. The Russo-Japanese war is good (from both sides) and will give you a good handle on moving armies/stances etc. The Boer War is a must play as it'll give you an insight into the teeth-grinding frustration that is asymetric warfare in the 19C. In the campaign, once you start on colonisation and imperialism, you are going to get into all sorts of small wars where the biggest challenges are finding your enemy, making them fight and ensuring your well trained regulars don't just fall apart due to fatigue and alck of supply.
panzers

Post by panzers »

thank you Loki I will take a look at those sites.
I am brand new to AGEOD. I'm getting quite the baptism. I also bought birth of Rome and birth of America, so I need to look at them too.
loki100

Post by loki100 »

in that case, I'd really recommend the small scenarios. Even the Italy one will get you over the very basics of stances, movement and forming and reorganising stacks. Its worth as it as you don't want to see an army you have spent years building up get destroyed because you picked the wrong options.

For the campaign, the best advice is its a marathon not a sprint. So don't rush to build (units or industry) till your economy settles down and you have a good idea how many spare resources you have to play with.

Its unlikely that any major wars will break out till the Russo-Ottoman showdown in 1853/4 but beware an AI Austria has a tendency to be very aggressive

Return to “Pride of Nations”