Love this period considering this or ?

Pride of Nations is a turn-based historical strategy game set in the colonial era of the 19th century, where the player takes control of a country and guides it through industrialization, military conquest, and colonization. This release from AGEOD follows such successful historical strategy games as Birth of America, American Civil War, Napoleon's Campaigns, Rise of Prussia and Wars in America.
Titan

Love this period considering this or ?

Post by Titan »

Europa Universalis IV, Wanting to get into something that has a bit of everything from this era Diplomacy, trade, warfare etc, both look good but not quite sure what the difference between the two would be....Gameplay and challenge are my hot points. looking for other experience from these.

Chees
loki100

RE: Love this period considering this or ?

Post by loki100 »

ORIGINAL: Titan

Europa Universalis IV, Wanting to get into something that has a bit of everything from this era Diplomacy, trade, warfare etc, both look good but not quite sure what the difference between the two would be....Gameplay and challenge are my hot points. looking for other experience from these.

Chees

Well they are utterly different games (I've not played EU4 but enough of EU3 to know what to expect). PoN is utterly addictive, since it takes time to gear up for a major war, you spend ages plotting it (how to provoke, how to construct alliances, etc). It has the best simulation of the colonial dynamics I've seen in any game of the era and it captures the essence of European 19C diplomacy perfectly - crises, alliances and very limited war goals. Even if you utterly smash your opponent you can't take their core territory, but you can impose reparations, take what is legitimately seen as yours or dismantle their empire.

Have a look at the AAR I've got running over on the AGEOD forum (you don't need to register): Manufacturing Italy. There is a short excerpt published in the Wargamer - may give you some idea if its a game for you.

Return to “Pride of Nations”