Social Disorder

Pride of Nations is a turn-based historical strategy game set in the colonial era of the 19th century, where the player takes control of a country and guides it through industrialization, military conquest, and colonization. This release from AGEOD follows such successful historical strategy games as Birth of America, American Civil War, Napoleon's Campaigns, Rise of Prussia and Wars in America.
grbwm

Social Disorder

Post by grbwm »

All right now I'm flustered!

About ten years in on my first Grand Campaign (first exposure to PoN also) and playing the United States.

I am one of those "learn the rules as you go kind of guys" and I believe I'm doing pretty well with the economy and foreign policy. I've actually created Cambodia as a US colony and Hawaii and the Marshalls are Protectorates. I've started to figure out the balance between domestic and foreign trade and I'm creating Private Capital and Money at a fairly prodigious rate BUT....

What the hell do I do to keep the Northern population of the US from rioting and disruptiong all the wonderful factories and Coal mines that I have built :) !

I have coal mines and manufactured goods, textile and luxury factories built but New York, Boston, Cleveland and et al. are all in disorder or general strike. Taxes have been at 1 to 2% for 5 years but that doesn't help. I've had every social decree passed through Congress. Built every Telecommunications, Sewer and Road .

Now I can't do squat because 75% of my coal mines are on strike even though I have government and private cash up the ying yang.

Somebody please give me a hint what I'm forgetting to do!

Dave
loki100

RE: Social Disorder

Post by loki100 »

ORIGINAL: grbwm

All right now I'm flustered!

About ten years in on my first Grand Campaign (first exposure to PoN also) and playing the United States.

I am one of those "learn the rules as you go kind of guys" and I believe I'm doing pretty well with the economy and foreign policy. I've actually created Cambodia as a US colony and Hawaii and the Marshalls are Protectorates. I've started to figure out the balance between domestic and foreign trade and I'm creating Private Capital and Money at a fairly prodigious rate BUT....

What the hell do I do to keep the Northern population of the US from rioting and disruptiong all the wonderful factories and Coal mines that I have built :) !

I have coal mines and manufactured goods, textile and luxury factories built but New York, Boston, Cleveland and et al. are all in disorder or general strike. Taxes have been at 1 to 2% for 5 years but that doesn't help. I've had every social decree passed through Congress. Built every Telecommunications, Sewer and Road .

Now I can't do squat because 75% of my coal mines are on strike even though I have government and private cash up the ying yang.

Somebody please give me a hint what I'm forgetting to do!

Dave

I've not played the US but from comments, pre-civil war you have a number of inbuilt revolt problems.

So some you probably just need to ride out.

Having said that - put MP units in the high militancy provinces, if you don't have enough MP use Cavalry - both have a high police value and will drive militancy down.

Check you are meeting their needs, you sometimes need both the quantity stated and a decent range of goods so trading is the solution.

Play all the contentment cards (mostly on the F1 screen, some on F6).

Look at the various 'development' decisions - roads, wetlands, telegraphs, sewers etc, all these reduce underlying revolt risk.

Juggle your tax base, some have less impact on overall population militancy.

I'd suggest if you want US specific advise put up a query on the AGEOD forum, much more likely to get responses from people who have played the US and managed this problem.
grbwm

Post by grbwm »

Outstanding suggestions! I've done most of your recommendations but I definitely had not thought about the Military Police. Those are building now and I'll see what happens. Thanks again.
kalepe

Post by kalepe »

grbwm you leave this forum? i want speak with you about one thing,
i am mapper;D

Return to “Pride of Nations”