Campaign Log

Post descriptions of your brilliant successes and unfortunate demises.
Mark Breed

Campaign Log - Week III, August 1776

Post by Mark Breed »

American Event: Revelry - Think it and drink! Don't think... drink! In vino veritas... in vino... in vino... lies comfort! Wench! Set another cask abroach! Sit here on my lap and let me rest my rough hands on your tight, rolling behind! Here's to us! To victory! Bottoms-up! (Lee’s Brigade: morale +5; readiness -30)

Americans purchase more cannons from the French.

Colonel Greene’s brigade takes Edenton.

Battle of York – General Washington leads his army in an assault of Colonel Turnbull’s army south of York. The Americans with 5,918 men and 26 cannon (only 24 appear on the battle screen?) attack the British who have 4,843 men and 40 cannon. American losses are 643 men versus the British loss of 225 men. The Americans withdraw.

Battle of York – British forces (Colonel Turnbull with 4,618 men and 28 cannon) counterattack the American army (General Washington with 5,275 men and 26 cannon) south of York. The British lose 160 men to the Americans who lose 343 men and 1 cannon. The Americans withdraw to the southwest.

Engagement at Yorktown – British forces (Colonel Dawson with 6,248 men and 45 cannon) attack the Americans (Brigadier Morgan with 1,722 men) who are taken by surprise by the size of the British force. The Americans lose 241 men versus the British loss of 45 men.
Attachments
177608IIIa.jpg
177608IIIa.jpg (147.37 KiB) Viewed 240 times
Mark Breed

Campaign Log - Week IV, August 1776

Post by Mark Breed »

American Event: Pirates - If Goliat had written the laws of war, slings would be strictly banned devices. The arms of the weak can inflict very painful wounds. A fast little boat, a few desperate men, and even the largest navy of the world cannot defend the slow transport-ships...

American forces, under Colonel Greene, liberate Norfolk of their Tory administrators and, then, evacuate the city due to the sizable British force in the Yorktown area.

Colonel Lee’s dragoons enter Morristown.

British forces, under General Von Stirn, take Kingston.

British forces, under Brigadier Fraser, take Richmond.

British forces, under Butler, take Norfolk.

British forces, under General Clinton, take Alexandria.

Skirmish Southeast of Richmond – A British army (297 dragoons 2,971 men, and 10 cannon), under Colonel Dawson, attempts to engage Brigadier Morgan’s command (1,215 men) in combat. However, the Americans decline.

Mark Breed

Campaign Log - Week I, September 1776

Post by Mark Breed »

American Event: Intel. British forces in the New Brunswick area, under Phillips, have a readiness of 100, morale of 81, and a supply of 100.

Colonel Lee moves his dragoons from Morristown through New Brunswick and departs to the north.

Skirmish for Richmond – Brigadier Morgan’s brigade (1,215 men) advance into Richmond pushing Brigadier Fraser’s dragoons out and inflict 20 casualties.

The Continental forces reorganize increasing their readiness.

British Colonel Erskine leads his dragoon into New Brunswick and Morristown re-establishing Tory rule.

Engagement at Richmond – Colonel Dawson leads his brigade (297 dragoons, 2,971 men and 10 cannon) in an overrun of Brigadier Morgan’s brigade causing 159 casualties and the surrender of a regiment. The British lose only 4 men.

Pursuit of Brigadier Morgan – Brigadier Morgan’s brigade (656 men) is pursued by Brigadier Fraser’s dragoon regiment, which in two separate fights causes another 28 casualties and the ultimate surrender of the brigade, while losing only 6 men.

Skirmish West of Fredericksburg – Colonel Tallomadge’s dragoons (442 men) are caught by surprise (actually the automatic retreat function is not working) by General Clinton’s army (2,050 regulars, 289 Indian braves, and 12 cannon). The British inflict 23 losses on the Americans while sustaining none themselves.

Engagement at the Altamaha River (x2) – General Tryon, with 878 Tories, 452 light infantry, and 112 Indian braves, attacks Colonel Hamilton’s militia regiment (363 men) that are on observation duty at the Altamaha River. In a two-day continuous battle the Americans (with retreat orders) are successfully attacked by the British suffering losses of 47 men, while inflicting only 15 casualties.
Attachments
177609Ib.jpg
177609Ib.jpg (146.58 KiB) Viewed 240 times
Mark Breed

Campaign Log - Week II, September 1776

Post by Mark Breed »

American Event: Work in the fields. Five militia regiments disband.

Colonel Greene’s militia regiment liberates Halifax and continues moving south.

Colonel Lee’s dragoons liberate New Haven and withdraws to the northwest.

The American forces reorganize gaining readiness.

Engagement at the Connecticut River – The British, under BG Powell, with 3,756 men and 5cannon attack General Putnam’s command (835 men and 13 cannon). The Americans lose another 47 men, while the British lose 63 men and take the field.

Battle at Winchester – General Cornwallis leads his army toward Winchester pushing into the American cavalry screening force (note: the dragoons were set to retreat). General Washington, in Winchester, decides that this is a good time to counterattack (why did the army reinforce a cavalry unit that was not even supposed to get into a fight?). The Americans with 419 dragoons, 3,677 men and 17 cannon lose 222 men versus the British with 2,877 men and 23 cannon losing 57 men. The Americans withdraw.

Attachments
177609IIb.jpg
177609IIb.jpg (112.37 KiB) Viewed 240 times
Mark Breed

Campaign Log - Week III, September 1776

Post by Mark Breed »

American Event: Revelry - Think it and drink! Don't think... drink! In vino veritas... in vino... in vino... lies comfort! Wench! Set another cask abroach! Sit here on my lap and let me rest my rough hands on your tight, rolling behind! Here's to us! To victory! Bottoms-up! (Mifflin’s detachment: morale +5; readiness -30)

General Putnam’s withdrawing force enters Hartford chasing the Tory administrators out of town.

British forces, commanded by Colonel Dawson, enter Halifax.

British forces, commanded by Buttler, enter Edenton.

British dragoons, commanded by Colonel Erskine, enter New Haven.

Skirmish near Kingston – British forces (2,113 men, 749 Indian braves, and 15 cannon), commanded by General Von Stirn, attack Colonel Lee’s dragoons (retreat orders) near Kingston. Casualties for the British are 2 savages and the Americans lose 15.

Skirmish at Winchester – British forces (7,278 men and 57 cannon), commanded by Cornwallis, engage Colonel Tallmadge’s cavalry screen near Winchester inflicting 27 casualties without taking any losses.
Mark Breed

Campaign Log - Week IV, September 1776

Post by Mark Breed »

American Event: Revelry - Think it and drink! Don't think... drink! In vino veritas... in vino... in vino... lies comfort! Wench! Set another cask abroach! Sit here on my lap and let me rest my rough hands on your tight, rolling behind! Here's to us! To victory! Bottoms-up! (Washington’s army: morale +5; readiness -30)

American forces REORGANIZE (+5 readiness).

Colonel Lee’s dragoons enter Kingston.

General Von Riedesel’s Hessian forces enter Hartford.

Skirmish on the Winchester-Roanoke Road – General Cornwallis, with 2,820 men and 11 cannon, engages Colonel Tallmadge’s dragoons screening their advance. The dragoons lose 17 men. (Note: cavalry retreat function does not work!)
Attachments
177609IVa.jpg
177609IVa.jpg (169.38 KiB) Viewed 240 times
Mark Breed

Campaign Log - Week I, October 1776

Post by Mark Breed »

American Event: Explosion (Fort Western). Cannons, rifles, all work by gunpowder, so most lives are taken by this powder. If it has once catches fire, it cannot be put out... that is why we should handle it with the utmost caution, especially if it is in large quantities. The lighting of fire and smoking pipes are prohibited, and it should be also taken care of that lest an iron-shod boot glance and cause a spark, we would all have dinner with Saint Peter.

The British forces close in on Albany.

Skirmish on the Winchester-Roanoke Road – General Cornwallis, with 2,820 men and 17 cannon, engages Colonel Tallmadge’s dragoons screening their advance. The dragoons lose 26 men and, then, surrender. (Oh, and did I mention that the cavalry retreat function does not work!)
Attachments
17761001a2.jpg
17761001a2.jpg (166.19 KiB) Viewed 240 times
Mark Breed

RE: Campaign Log - Week I, October 1776

Post by Mark Breed »

Deleted as posted in error.
Mark Breed

Campaign Log - Week II, October 1776

Post by Mark Breed »

American Event: Work in the fields (3 militia regiments depart) – War, enemy, victory, defeat... These words haven't been created for the poor. Ploughing, sowing, cropping - this is our gospel. Paying taxes and serving are always necessary, no matter who wins, but if this year, we don't cultivate our lands, next year the winner will starve as well. Women and children cannot bear the work... We must go! When we are finished, we will return - we promise that.

British forces closing in on Albany turn around and withdraw toward whence they came! [&o]

Colonel Lee’s dragoons liberate Morristown.

Skirmish at Morristown – General Phillips, with 2,035 men and 16 cannon, pushes Colonel Lee’s dragoons out of Morristown.

Attachments
177610IIb.jpg
177610IIb.jpg (181.18 KiB) Viewed 240 times
Mark Breed

Campaign Log - Week III, October 1776

Post by Mark Breed »

American Event: Storm – Hold the steering-wheel! The shore is close. Goggle your eyes, you in the front! Lest we run aground! Don't lie down, you at the suction-pump if you don't want to have dinner with the fish! Move your ass, you, lazy gang! I will kick you along the Tropic of Cancer when this is all over at last! Man overboard? God rest his soul! It is only a few minutes left for him now, but we can suffer on. God, please, help us now!!! (Fleet actions delayed one week.)

Colonel Lee’s dragoons are running low on supplies.

No significant events to report.
Mark Breed

Campaign Log - Week IV, October 1776

Post by Mark Breed »

American Event: Storm – Hold the steering-wheel! The shore is close. Goggle your eyes, you in the front! Lest we run aground! Don't lie down, you at the suction-pump if you don't want to have dinner with the fish! Move your ass, you, lazy gang! I will kick you along the Tropic of Cancer when this is all over at last! Man overboard? God rest his soul! It is only a few minutes left for him now, but we can suffer on. God, please, help us now!!! (Fleet actions delayed one week.)

Colonel Lee’s dragoons are running out of supplies. Troopers are deserting.

The 1st Light Infantry Regiment in Savannah has been upgraded and redesignated as the 2nd Continental Light Dragoons Regiment.

The British invasion from Canada has turned back due to lack of supplies!

Attachments
177610IVb.jpg
177610IVb.jpg (127.31 KiB) Viewed 239 times
Mark Breed

Campaign Log - Week I, November 1776

Post by Mark Breed »

American Event: Intel – Hessian forces, under the command of General Von Riedesel, have a readiness of 55; a morale of 94; and, a supply level of 100.

Colonel Lee’s dragoons (460 men) continue to withdraw toward Fort Oswego having no bases close by to march for.

General Washington’s army, running low on supplies, continues to march south toward Roanoke with the ultimate destination of Salisbury where it will rest and refit.

General Greene’s army (1,500 men and 12 cannon) enters Savannah and prepares for the campaign against General Tryon’s army in Georgia/Florida.

General Howe’s army (500 dragoons, 500 men, and 6 cannon) defend Savannah.

General Arnold’s army (3,790 men and 27 heavy cannon) continues to recruit and train in Albany and will absorb the remnants of General Putnam’s command (788 men and 13 cannon) that is approaching the city.

Brigadier Lincoln’s army continues to train in Newport.

General Sullivan’s army (2,796 men and 6 cannon) marches toward Wilmington to rest and refit during the winter.

Brigadier Smallwood’s command of 1,000 men and 12 cannon continue to train at Salisbury.

Colonel Lamb trains three batteries (18 cannon) at Charles Town.

The British are quiet.

Attachments
177611IIa.jpg
177611IIa.jpg (152.16 KiB) Viewed 239 times
Mark Breed

Campaign Log - Week II, November 1776

Post by Mark Breed »

American Event: Intel – General Von Voit’s Hessian forces, in the vicinity of Fort Ticonderoga, have a readiness of 1; a morale of 10; and, a supply level of 1.

General Greene’s army (2,000 men and 18 cannon) absorbs some of General Howe’s troops and continues to prepare for operations in Georgia/Florida.
Mark Breed

Campaign Log - Week III, November 1776

Post by Mark Breed »

American Event: Intel – General Cornwallis’ army, in Winchester, has a readiness of 75; a morale of 100; and, a supply level of 76.

A British army is reported on the march from Halifax toward Roanoke.
Mark Breed

Campaign Log - Week IV, November 1776

Post by Mark Breed »

American Event: Inflation – I've got my pay today; here is my debt with the interests. Now, I want to eat and drink; let's celebrate this sudden fortune! What? Yesterday, the meat cost half of this! And the wine? How can it cost three times more than last week? Of course, barkeep, it is sold to you at the same price... Tell the devil that this in Hell! If my money isn't good enough, what do you think of my iron? (Boston rise up against British rule.)

Skirmish at Baltimore – General Howe marches a brigade with 605 Indians from Annapolis to Baltimore and pushes Colonel Gansevoort’s militia regiment of 305 men out of the city. The British lose 11 men and the Americans lose 32.

Attachments
177611IVb.jpg
177611IVb.jpg (136.19 KiB) Viewed 239 times
Mark Breed

Campaign Log - Week I, December 1776

Post by Mark Breed »

American Event: Intel – General Knyphausen’s army, in Winchester, has a readiness of 71; a morale of 87; and, a supply level of 100.

American leaders issue decorations to the troops (+3 Zeal).

Skirmish at York – Colonel Gansevoort’s militia regiment (273 men) is attacked outside of York by Colonel Norton’s brigade of 2,300 men and 14 cannon. The Americans lose 50 men and the British have only a single casualty. Brigadier Erskine’s dragoons (244 men) finish off the Americans inflicting 24 more casualties and causing the rest of regiment to surrender. The dragoons lose 2 men.

Attachments
177612Ib.jpg
177612Ib.jpg (152.95 KiB) Viewed 230 times
Mark Breed

Campaign Log - Week II, December 1776

Post by Mark Breed »

American Event: Good connections. A pen is a stronger weapon than a sword, more Captains have fallen in the halls of magnificent palaces and in the corridors of the parliament than on the blood-soaked battle-fields. Be assured, my general, your career is being followed with benevolence from the highest circles. Whatever is that you might need, just give us a word, and we will take care of it. (+10 Influence)

Colonel Lee’s dragoons capture and pillage Tuscarora Indian village.

Generals Washington and Mifflin continue to march toward Salisbury. Roanoke was too small to support the army. Colonel Gist remains in Roanoke with a militia brigade. (Note, last week British dragoons were observed leaving Halifax on the road to Roanoke. They most likely are commanded by Brigadier Fraser and consist of 297 men based on the last intelligence report on them.)

British forces, commanded by General Eitel, occupy New Bern.
Attachments
177612IIa2.jpg
177612IIa2.jpg (192.3 KiB) Viewed 230 times
Mark Breed

Campaign Log - Week III, December 1776

Post by Mark Breed »

American Event: Intel – General Wemyss’ army, in Providence, has a readiness of 99; a morale of 82; and, a supply level of 96.

Colonel Hamilton’s militia regiment continues it march from Albany toward Springfield.

Attachments
177612IIIa.jpg
177612IIIa.jpg (153.01 KiB) Viewed 230 times
Mark Breed

RE: Campaign Log - Week III, December 1776

Post by Mark Breed »

Continued.

The British are making a major invasion of the South with three separate armies approaching or entering North Carolina along the coast road. The lead army is commanded by General Eitell, which was transported by sea from New York (info courtesy the British player). An unidentified army follows just south of New Bern. The third army is commanded by Colonel Turnbull, which last intel reports indicate it is comprised of 4,590 men and 28 cannon and is just north of New Bern.

Attachments
177612IIIb.jpg
177612IIIb.jpg (120.03 KiB) Viewed 230 times
Mark Breed

Campaign Log - Week IV, December 1776

Post by Mark Breed »

American Event: Looting (Colonel Gist’s command loots Roanoke). A soldier's life is short. Death follows him wherever he goes, and sooner or later, it reaches him. Soldiers do not pile up money because it would only serve the benefit of the people robbing the corpses. Soldiers do not make friends because they may lose them in the next battle. Believe me, you, as a peace-loving commoner, have got a much better fate. So don't you cry for your pigs and wine, as we fight for you and die for you. Don't you try to hide your money because you'll see what happens if I get really angry.

The Americans receive reports of a large Tory force advancing on Springfield from Providence. Colonel Hamilton is given orders to redirect his militia regiment to conduct a reconnaissance toward Hartford. Colonel Smith is ordered to abandon Springfield and march his militia towards Portsmouth.

Skirmish near Newport - An American militia regiment (251 men), under the command of Colonel Clarke, is attacked by General Knyphausen's army of 2,403 men and 12 cannon. The Americans lose 93 men and retreat back to Newport.

Skirmish near Wilmington - An American militia regiment (414 men), under the command of Colonel Brodhead, marches out to delay General Eitell's army of 3,250 men and 12 cannon. In two separate engagements the Americans lose 101 men while the British lose 3.

British General Powell takes Springfield.

The Royal Navy bombards Newport.

Return to “After Action Reports”