very playable on windows 7

Hussar Games "For Liberty!" is a turn based game of the American Revolution and the Rakoczi Independence War. Command the armies of the newly born United States of America against Britain or the ill-equipped Hungarian rebels against mighty Austria. 1848 is a turn base game on the Hungarian rebellion against Austria in 1848-49.

Moderator: HussarGames

Agathosdaimon

very playable on windows 7

Post by Agathosdaimon »

Just played this now and any previous problems seem to have disappeared not sure how -perhaps a windows update fixed something? Plays fast and smooth and really now has let me really get into all the detail that this game does.

These games have such a good solid AI too. An AI that knows when to fight and when to retreat in battle. Just got broken by Austrian cavalry playing the Hungarian 1700's campaign, i used my cavalry to harass their leader but they came after me and broke the moral and then the Austrian Leader went back to his position keep forces under his command. really good stuff. So much detail with options for recruiting forces, getting various political influence things like cannon from abroad or such. The type of AI that is lacking in some current big name strategy games

Attachments
FL.jpg
FL.jpg (187.32 KiB) Viewed 833 times
Alex777

RE: very playable on windows 7

Post by Alex777 »

For me (running Win7x64) all of my problems disappeared when I started setting my screen resolution = 1024 x 768 BEFORE running the game. This applies to all 3 Hussar games. Of course, compatibility should be set to WinXP also.
Agathosdaimon

Post by Agathosdaimon »

thats a great point - i will do that too
Agathosdaimon

Post by Agathosdaimon »

the dll file fix found here - fixed my issues for this game

tm.asp?m=3821109

i have an NVIDIA card on my laptop also and the game works using this along with the files put into the game folder from the link in that thread
GuileMike

Post by GuileMike »

So I hear this game is not playable on Win 8?
Hattori Hanzo

Post by Hattori Hanzo »

ORIGINAL: Alex777

For me (running Win7x64) all of my problems disappeared when I started setting my screen resolution = 1024 x 768 BEFORE running the game. This applies to all 3 Hussar games. Of course, compatibility should be set to WinXP also.

which are the titles of all 3 Hussar wargames ??? [&:]
User1988

Post by User1988 »

ORIGINAL: Alex777

running Win7x64 I started setting my screen resolution = 1024 x 768 BEFORE running the game.

How can I do that?

I have Win7x64 and I do have 2 problems:

1) When I enter or load a game, in 1848 or For Liberty!, the map screen won't load, I have to press ESC if I'm starting a new game but if I load a game there's no way to actually play the game, the screen is just frozen to the menu screen. *A workaround is to right-click the .exe, go to Properties and then disable desktop composition.

2) At random times the game seems really really slow, like a massive FPS drop but I'm not sure. I basically can't select any armies, the cursor isn't showing and the only "workaround" is to look around the map using the arrow keys and hope for the cursor to come back soon. Takes a long time and it's annoying, and it's the same thing when the AI has its turn.

Anybody else experiencing these problems and a way to fix them?
zakblood

Post by zakblood »

have you tried any of this, yes it's a guide for windows 10, but also some of it can be converted to help out other systems as well

tm.asp?m=4109281

give it a try and see if it does, as you have nothing to loose, but a working game if it does
Windows 11 Pro 64-bit (10.0, Build 22621) (22621.ni_release.220506-1250)
User1988

Post by User1988 »

Yes, I just finished trying those, I tried all the dll versions I could find, from the ones recommended by you to the ones recommended by the site and the latest ones. The result is the same: either the map itself is black (for the new dll) or the cursor freezes and I have a FPS drop as soon as I try to select a army (similar to problem nr.2 but more severe).
zakblood

Post by zakblood »

well i'm sorry to hear that :(

would have hoped it would have worked better for you
Windows 11 Pro 64-bit (10.0, Build 22621) (22621.ni_release.220506-1250)

Return to “For Liberty! & 1848”