Pequot War

Birth of America 2: Wars in America is the much expanded reprise of veteran developer AGEOD’s acclaimed first release, which allows players to command either side of the conflicts before, during and after the American War for Independence between 1636 and 1815. Apart from the engaging turn-based strategy play that has been expanded and vastly improved over the original, Birth of America 2: Wars in America includes major new features like an improved and expanded map including the Mississippi River, new European off-map boxes (France, Great Britain, Spain, Holland) and more.
lordhoff

Pequot War

Post by lordhoff »

OK, the actual result was the annihilation of the tribe but in the game as GB, after more then a half dozen tries, the best I can do is a draw. As the Pequots, in one try, I was victorious. A problem here? Am I doing something wrong or is a historical outcome not possible?
These biting remarks brought to you by Terry and his troops: Legio K IX, King Sarge II Commanding
Wolfe1759

RE: Pequot War

Post by Wolfe1759 »

"In War: Resolution. In Defeat: Defiance. In Victory: Magnanimity. In Peace: Goodwill." - Winston Churchill
lordhoff

Post by lordhoff »

Thanks; gives me some fresh ideas. Still, it appears to be very difficult to get a historical result and quite easy for the other side to win decisively; the scenario likely needs some tweaking. I mean, sometimes the loser just acted very stupidly (ie, the British and French in 1940) where a game needs tons of special rules to force duplication of the stupidity but I'm not aware of that happening in this war.
These biting remarks brought to you by Terry and his troops: Legio K IX, King Sarge II Commanding
Wolfe1759

Post by Wolfe1759 »

ORIGINAL: lordhoff

I mean, sometimes the loser just acted very stupidly (ie, the British and French in 1940) where a game needs tons of special rules to force duplication of the stupidity but I'm not aware of that happening in this war.

No special rules needed, just me playing the side in question seems to provide more than enough stupidity [:)]

I know what you are saying though. However any wargame I've played be it board or computer vs AI or human would struggle to depict the strategic / tactical brilliance (or possibly blind luck) that make the battles / campaigns of Caesar, Napoleon, Rommel etc so appealing and well known to wargamers. Hindsight is a great thing but does somewhat spoil the surprise.
"In War: Resolution. In Defeat: Defiance. In Victory: Magnanimity. In Peace: Goodwill." - Winston Churchill
lordhoff

Post by lordhoff »

True; no gamer is apt to make the same mistakes that led to disaster - that is why in those cases, to get a historical result, special rules are required. I don't remember which board game it was, but the "historical scenario" for 1940 western front was entitled: "the idiots game". Still, baring such obvious mistakes, the test of any history based game is whether or not it can recreate the historic result reasonably. Sometimes, it is just a matter of scale. I believe that is the case here as the broad brush method used is great for strategic campaigns but doesn't translate as well into very short scenarios. The game isn't broke, it just doesn't work so well for a summer war.

Return to “Birth of America 2: Wars in America”