AAR 1756-58 The Montcalm campaign. Rule Britannia!

Post descriptions of your brilliant successes and unfortunate demises.

Moderator: MOD_BoA/AGEOD

USS Yorktown

RE: AAR 1756-58 The Montcalm campaign. Rule Britannia!

Post by USS Yorktown »

Turn 7 (September 1756) : Search and destroy !

The unexpected French strategy in Oswego had left me quite puzzled. On the one hand, Montcalm had splitted his forces, and this was an opportunity, on the other hand he was gathering some huge forces in Oswego, and I had to be careful not to get caught between the hammer and the smith.
1) I could attack Montcalm in Oswego, but he is very likely to receive some support from Bourlamaque and even if I have some fair chance to contain them this would be a bloody mess and I don’t wish to waste my precious regular units now, the worse is to come…
2) I could strike the irregular units, but I don’t want to face de Lévis who is likely to keep on his walk down to Oswego (but he could also cross the Adirondack Mountains in order to launch a pince attack toward Albany through the Fort St Frederic and the Lake Champlain Valley).
3) I could do nothing, entrench, wait and see.

I opt for a mix between 2 and 3. Just like last month, I create a Fast interception group, and position the rest of my forces in order to defend the Mohawk Valley. The aim is to attack, strike the small group north of my position before it joins with either Montcalm or De Lévis, then run back to the British position. If the junction has been made, then the group should be fast enough to escape Montcalm heavy infantry.

While I’m using my regular units to retard the French advance, I’ve decided to take advantage of some of my militia patrolling Albany surrounds. I need to protect the construction of Fort Henry, which sould be completed in October, scout what’s going on in the Lake Champlain Valley, and, if the French has not had the same idea, to prevent the building of Fort Carillon in Crown point (moreover, Crownpoint is a strategic region, and after the fall of Oswego I need to get some compensation).

Small success around Oswego

Jolly good!! I won a battle just at Oswego gates!
The French detachment is 70% destroyed, and Johnson group only took few casualties.
The French have taken heavy losses because they were not commanded (50% malus), more over the British troops were elite soldiers (Highlanders, Redcoats) with superior firepower and excellent assault skills. One the other hand, the French have only lost some irregulars (Indians and Courreurs des bois) and only on company of marine troops. These troops are very handy for the petty war, but the main French battle corps is still untouched.

It looks like that, expecting a British assault, Montcalm had decided to gather his strength in Oswego (1). Johnson’s men have intercepted and defeated the small French detachment as it was crossing the Oneida river (X). After this successful search and destroy patrol, they moved back quickly in the Mohawk valley up to Albany (4). The whole Mohawk valley is now strongly defended by several provincial infantry regiments (3). Meanwhile, de Lévis has finally chosen to meet up with Montcalm (2), and my militias have taken Crown point (5).

In New-York, Brigadier-General Daniel Webb has arrived from Europe with another nice Highlanders regiment. He will sail to Albany as soon as possible. One of my patrolling militias has intercepted a band of Indians warriors. TIP: In order to improve your patrol efficiency, add some natives (indians, rangers) to your regular troops.

In Alexandria, Washington, Dunbar and Governor Lawrence are meeting up in order to form a task force to attack Fort Duquesne.

Fall has arrived and the French have now two strong groups at the entrance of the Mohawk valley. I wonder if Montcalm will attempt a Winter campaign against Albany. Furthermore, he has now to take back Crownpoint. I feel optimistic.
Support independent developers!
USS Yorktown

Post by USS Yorktown »

Turn 8 (October 1756): Tricks in the north

In the Mohawk valley, I have decided to keep on with my delaying strategy. My two Provincials Infantry regiments are guarding the road from Oswego to Albany... Well, guarding is an overstatement as they could hardly stand against Montcalm's army. It's more of a psychological trick than anything: The valley looks guarded...
Anticipating, the junction between de Lévis (3) and Montcalm (4) to move against Albany (6), I've ordered my first regiment (5) to retreat into Dayton and to join with the 60th stationed there. The two regiments, entrenched in Dayton, have a fair chance to inflict some kind of dammage to the French. Montcalm is likely to try to secure Dayton in order to take his Winterquarters there. Winter is a deadly saison for war in North America. If Montcalm tries to siege Albany, it could cost him dearly as I have now begun to gather a noticeable force with the expected arrival of Daniel Webb's Highlanders this month (they have embarked on a river boat from New-York).

In Lake George surroundings, I have secured Crown point (1), preventing the French to build Fort Carrillon if they don't take it back very quickly. At the same time, my own engineers are building Fort Henry in Saint Sacrement(2). I decide to leave one militia to guard Crown Point while the rest goes back to Saint Sacrement in order to secure the region against a possible indian raid.
Note: Fort Carrillon and Fort Henry constructions are handled by scripted events testing if the targeted province is still under control.

Expect the unexpected

Once again Marquis de Montcalm surprises me... I was expecting a bold move in the Mohawk valley, he has moved into the Oneida province. But the French is full of tricks: Chevalier de Lévis has marched toward Crown Point. I suspect he's attempted a forced march to regain control of thre region before the failure of Fort Carillon construction. He has no more artillery with him, he must have sent his battery to Montcalm in order to gain increased mobility. That's would be the reason why Montcalm did not move as much as expected: He was just joining up with de Lévis' artillery in Oneida! I guess he might have feared another raid from Johnson and has prefered not to leave his previous artilleries unguarded as last month (I was lucky enough with two successfull raids but this was before Montcalm and de Lèvis's arrival, now Johnson is safe behind Albany's walls). In any case, this remains good news because with this cautious French move, another month is gone and soon winter will be here...
This is the second time Montcalm decides to split his forces to attempt an unexpected move. I can see some kind of pattern here... Examining the situation carefully, I also notice that Montcalm has left some significant troops to garrison Oswego. It's interesting to see a totally different strategy from the one I use while playing the French: I tend to concentrate my troops to rush to Albany before the British have the chance to get too much reinforcement. His strategy is a mix between extrem carefullness and audacious moves.

(More tomorow, I need some sleep...)
Pocus

Post by Pocus »

destabilizing strategy yes, as you say, expect the unexpected from an opponent you don't know. We have all the bad tendency to apply the same mental schemes as the ones we produce ourself to the opponent's mind (does this sentence makes sense? [:D] ).
AGEOD Team
USS Yorktown

Post by USS Yorktown »

I'm quite happy with the success of my little trick in Crown Point. When de Lotbinière's troops made his "reconnaissance en force" in june (Turn 4), he took control of Saint Sacrement. At first, I just planned to send some militias to take it back. But when the question about Fort Carrillon was asked, it occured to me that I had a nice opportunity to prevent Fort Carrillon building. I had 3 militias near by, de Lotbinière had left the area to try to reach Oswego (in fact Johnson will intercept him in the Mohawk valley), and Montcalm did not look overly aggressive.

This attempt was a strategic success: Fort Henry has been built, and will constitute an obstacle in the way of any French group advancing toward Albany, while the non construction of Fort Carillon leaves Crown Point exposed to a British counter-attack.
However, for the time being, I must take a more carefull course of action. Indeed Montcalm has reacted by sending strong reinforcements. My Indian scouts (3) have detected the Royal regiment Languedoc marching toward with some Quebec militias and supplies (1). Meanwhile, Lèvis has arrived with two royal regiments (La Sarre and La Reine), his own militians and some indian warriors (2). I don't know if Lévis was aiming to protect Fort Frederick from a possible attack from my militias, if he wants to retake Crown point (4) or if he wishes to attack Fort henry, but this is a formidable force and I have not much to oppose to it. It looks like that Stewart (Montcalm) has resizen the strategic initiative here...

But let's remain optimistic. So far my plan has worked perfectly.
I have successfully escaped any major engament with Montcalm troops (well, the French cautiousness has helped me a lot!). I have control New Brunswick allowing to redeploy my forces from there. In Albany, Webb has arrived, and I have now gathered a nice core of regular and elite troops to defend the place, and wait for further reinforcement to counter-attack.

In Alexandria, Governor Lawrence has landed from Halifax and join up with Washington, Dunbad and newly arrived reinforcement to constitute a solid expeditionnary corps. But Washington has unexpectedly encounter some ennemy indian scouts while marching to Alexandria... That's the second time in a row, after New-York skirmish last month. Looks like Montcalm is using his indian allies to spy my strategic set up... This means he is aware that I have gathered some significant forces in the South...

I don't have enough supplies and Fort Duquesne is far away. It's October already, and soon the weather conditions are going dramatically change...
Should I engage in a winter campaign against Fort Duquesne? Will Montcalm march against Albany? That will be the question for next turn...

USS Yorktown

Post by USS Yorktown »

Let's have a look at the results ledger:

Well, obviously the French has the strategic upper hand with 6 controlled objectives out of 8. You can actually see why the capture of Crown point was such a nice coup after Oswego's fall, and why the attack against Fort Duquesne is so important now.

However my successfull battles has given me a slight advantage with victory points. Moreover, he is not taking advantage of the petty war rules (contrary to the British gentlemen soldiers, the devious French side and his evil indian allies can gain points from plundering ennemy regions, sacking cities and burning forts...).

USS Yorktown

Post by USS Yorktown »

Turn 9 (November 1756): Winter is coming

Winter campaign or not winter campaign?
On the one hand, I wish Montcalm to engage in winter siege of Albany that would be deadly for his army...
On the other, I don't want to fall in the same trap by attacking Fort Duquesne too early.

I know that sooner or later, a serious fight is going to occur around Albany. I have to delay this fight the most possible in order to gather a force able to defeat Montcalm. But Albany is Montcalm main objective, so I must put him under pressure and secure other strategic objectives.

Crown point: Montcalm is about to take it again
Albany: About to be sieged
Quebec: No Way
Louisbourg: No Way
Oswego: I have to defeat Montcalm first
Fort Niagara: I have to take Oswego first
Frontenac: I have to take Oswego first
Detroit: I have to take Fort Duquesne first
Fort Duquesne: Defended by Dumas

Well, Fort Duquesne is the obvious objective. I guess that's why the French has been piling up units in. But half of these units are indian warriors, they will go back to their villages during the Winter... I have to attack before they are back during the spring. But the trip to Fort Duquesne and the siege are likely to be deadly for my precious Redcoats regiments.

After some reflexion, I decide to try another war trick. I will send Washington with a force to establish a camp, close to Fort Duquesne, in order to enable my army to take its winter quarter there and be ready to attack as soon as the snow will be gone.

A second thought occurs to me : Montcalm (1) could have exactly the same plan and try to spend the winter in Dayton (3)!!
Therefore, I decide to send my main Army (4) in Dayton in order to confront him there before he could join with Chevalier de Lèvis (2).

Chevalier de Lèvis could try to join Montcalm, attack Fort Henry, or attack Crown Point. With the last two options, I feel safer to abandon Crown point to regroup my troops in Fort Henry.

And finally, a look at New Jersey... Well, it looks like my troops movements in Albany and New-York are being spied. I will have to send more patrols to try to intercept and destroy these peping toms...

USS Yorktown

Post by USS Yorktown »

Well, it looks like Montcalm will stay in Oswego (3) this winter... My troops have been waiting for him in Dayton (4) but he did not show up. My opponent is really carefull. On the other hand, unsurprisingly, Chevalier De Lévis has taken control of Crown point (1). He also had a shot at my remaining milicia which was trying to leave the region unnoticed. Fortunately, my brave 1st New-Hampshire volunteers managed to retreat quickly but they took some severe damages. They will need some rest in Fort Henry (2).
I think the situation is quite good. I have some troops guarding Albany, the main French objective, and the two main attack axis are under British control. Soon, I'll be able to take the initiative in this part of the battlefield.

In the other part of the battlefield, the time has come to show the French some actions. Washington forces have arrived and have begun to build a depot. If you check the turn 1, you'll see that it used to be a British fort there, and I ordered Washy to destroy it. It's a pity, but by the time I did not know which kind of strategy Stewart (Montcalm, aka Napoleon in the ACG forum) was going to use.
Anyway, Washington (1) has brought along two chariots of supply to build the depot and three strong infantry units to defend the position. Lawrence (2) is lagging just behind with an artilery batterie and another line infantry regiment. In Alexandria, Dunbar (3) was waiting for reinfocements with two other red coats regiments and he'll be moving this month to join with the rest. Meanwhile, a transport ship is sailing to Alexandria with two more supply wagons for the campaign, Washington will come and collect them. With this plan, by the end of the winter, I'll have a strong battle corps waiting in the depot and ready to jump on Fort Duquesne before the French indian allies have any chance to gather when spring will come...

In Birth of America, winters are important.
An unprepared army surprised by snow far from any civilised and friendly place is a dead Army. Plus, some troops (milicia, indians) will just go home. So you have to take them in account when you planify your campaigns. You have to assign yourself reasonable objectives in order to find cover when time would have come, or to carefully plan the necessary supply.
Montcalm's army has taken its winter quarters in Oswego. Chevalier De Lévis has some supplies with him, he might attempt to siege Fort Henry. In the south, I both reckon the impact of winter on supply (I'm builing a depot, I bring more supply wagons) and on units (I'll try to strike while indians are gone).

LMUBill

Post by LMUBill »

If Oswego back then in the winter is like it is at this moment (with 9 feet of snow) then Montcalm probably couldn't leave if he wanted to. [X(]
USS Yorktown

Post by USS Yorktown »

Well, I guess he is learning to ski...[:D]

While I'm explaining some of my psychological war tricks, check out turn 5 and turn 7, and you'll see that I had "prepared" the French by sending twice a meaningless force to Fort Duquesne just to bring it back home the next turn. I won't tell I was already preparing this small winter campaign, but I knew I would not move before I'd received reinforcements from Halifax and Britain (as this was my plan), I had these idle units and I wanted Montcalm to be always wondering what I was about... "Perfide Albion"
Gibbon

Post by Gibbon »

Stop psychological bullshits, we want some real action now!!!! [:D][:D][:D] [;)]

McClellan asked, "What troops are those fighting in the Pike?"
Hooker replied, "[Brigadier] General Gibbon's brigade of Western men."
McClellan stated, "They must be made of iron."
USS Yorktown

Post by USS Yorktown »

Turn 10 (December 1756): Twas the night before Christmas

A nasty piece of fight is due to occure any time in the Mohawk valley. Chevalier de Lévis looks like he was expecting me in Crown point but now he stands frozen with his troops. Harsh weather must have caused him some damage... Hope this hurts... Montcalm is still waiting patiently in Oswego, with no less than 20 units (!!!). I don't know who will be the winner but this's gonna to be painfull...

(regions control view)

Meanwhile, in the south, I'm gathering strengths in my new depot.

(strategic objectives view)

Twas the night before Christmas, and everything looks like it's gona to get really ugly next year between the French and the British. [:D]

Gibbon

Post by Gibbon »

it's gona to get really ugly next year between the French and the British

Go go go!! [:D][:D][:D]
McClellan asked, "What troops are those fighting in the Pike?"
Hooker replied, "[Brigadier] General Gibbon's brigade of Western men."
McClellan stated, "They must be made of iron."
USS Yorktown

Post by USS Yorktown »

My opponent and I play roughly one turn a week.
This might look slow for some readers, but it suits our agendas and I don't think I'ld able to sustain an AAR with more.

However, you might be interested to know that my opponent seems to have updated his own AAR yesterday (he is much more busy than me)

The link is:
http://www.armchairgeneral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=235

and the AAR name is: BOA AAR of the Montcalm Campaign.....Vive la Nouvelle France!
(well, I guess you would have known...)

Learn about his evil plans to turn Hollywood in a black and white subtitled movies industry there...
USS Yorktown

Post by USS Yorktown »

New turn has been processed, stay tuned for the upcoming AAR [8D]
Pocus

Post by Pocus »

in the wilderness, irregulars or light infantry performs better than regulars, so Washington is peharps not as protected as you think with the redcoats regiments. Nice trick to establish a depot, especially if you have spare wagons.
AGEOD Team
USS Yorktown

Post by USS Yorktown »

Thanks for your advice Pocus [&o]
Indeed I have to be carefull no to get caught in an ambush while moving the wilderness, those damn' Indians and Coureurs des bois would slaughter my line infantry...
However, so the French seems to have mainly used his irregular units to garison Fort Duquesne. If I successfully trap them in the Fort and siege it, they won't be able to use any guerilla tricks against me. I would have to be carefull with indian tribes though...

Turn 11 (January 1757): This is the year that will decide the outcome of the battle!

Stewart has sent his orders with the following comment "Good luck! This is the year that will decide the outcome of the battle!". Well, I could not tell less...

The month has been pretty quiet, the two armies are busy gathering forces, waiting for the spring operations... but something tells me that the summer will be red (color of the blood, and color of the British!).
While I'm preparing my plans for the upcoming yer, I'm still slightly worried: Am I overdoing it? This campaign is named "The Montcalm campaign", not the "Wolf, Johnson, Lawrence, etc. campaign". Historically, it has ended with a huge French victory at Fort Carillon. So I should be the defenseur (and so did I), but I'm now planing to take the initiative against Fort Duquesne and to face Montcalm's army in the Mohawk valley... Overconfidence?... We'll see.

In the Mohawk valley, Marquis de Montcalm has set himself in Oswego, while Chevalier de Lévis has taken his winterquarters in Fort Frédéric, abandoning Crown point to the snow.
Meanwhile, I have sent some reinforcement to Sir Johnson in Dayton, and to Colonel Munroe in Fort Henry.

In the Fort Duquesne area, my forces are finishing to concentrate. Taking advantge of this idle time, Washington has trained 1st Virginia milicians in a Provincials regiment, much more efficient. I hope he will succed in training the same way the 2nd Virginia before military operations resume.
(Hum... this ability to train milician in continental soldiers could be usefull one day... [;)])

God saves the King, we've received some replacements from home!

USS Yorktown

Post by USS Yorktown »

Turn 12 & 13 (February & March 1757): Something wicked this way comes.

Nothing really decisive happened. Both French and Britsih have spent the winter resting and getting reinforcements.

In Crown point, I had sent a small troop to take control of this strategic region as Chevalier de Lévis had gone in Fort Frederic to take cover. But this was just an harassing action, and witht the spring coming the men have retreated in Fort Henry before Chevalier de Lévis resume his march toward the Fort and Albany...

In the Mohawk Valley, Colonel Johnson is still guarding the pathway to Albany. After monthes of inactivity, Marquis de Montcalm has just got his men of Oswego's walls. It looks like the decisive battle for the control of Northen America is about to happen.

The French plan is clear enough, it looks like I will have to face a pince attack, Montcalm (1) and de Lévis (2) converging toward Albany (3). And I just have one army...

In Pennsylvania, the situation is still the same. I've decided to send a part of my reinforcements there in order to gain the upper hand.

I've read somewhere a BoA player comparing Birth of America to Chess. I feel this is very true. Especially in the French and Indian War campaign. Everything is about moves, threats, counter-threats and plans. In fact, I even in one of my first posts here (turn 3), I described the deplacement of my Halifax troops to Pennsylavnia to a "castling queen side".

Well, now I would say that the opening moves have ended, let's enter in the middle game: The fight.
USS Yorktown

Post by USS Yorktown »

Turn 14 (April 1757): Armies on the move

Spring has arrived and armies are on the move. Clash of Empires can occur any time now.

The battle for Albany

In the Mohawk valley, Montcalm (1) has resumed as exepected his advance toward Albany. He is now directly facing Colonel Johnson (4) who is guarding Dayton and the way to Albany. Johnson won't be able to resist such a force and will have to avoid destruction.
But Chevalier de Lèvis has surprised me again... I was expecting him to move south to siege Fort Henry in a very "Last of the Mohicans" manner, but instead, he chose a side move, leaving behind him to guard Crown Point a single French Marines unit (3) which constitutes a very tempting target for my troops (6)...
Positioned as he is, de Lévis can either try to join with Montcalm, go to lay siege to Fort Henry or set back to Crown Point. Another interesting move from my opponent...

The Battle for Fort Duquesne

In Pennsylvania, reverse situation: Dunbar has begun his Spring campaign and is on the move to Fort Duquesne. The train of supplies makes the crossing of the mountains really difficult and slow.

Reinforcement have arrived, armies are on the move, respective indians allies are back from their winter quarter: I expect the next three monthes to prove decisive...
However, eventhough they are usually very calm, do not underestimate winters in Birth of America as they set rythm in the war. They are deadly and all campaigns must be planned in order to be able to take winter quarters in a safe place. But you can also suprise your opponent with an unexpected winter campaing. Finally, you can use the semi winter truce to make some strategic moves and prepare your spring offensive plans. I expect the French to have done the same than me...
USS Yorktown

Post by USS Yorktown »

Turn 15 (May 1757): Ennemies at the gates

With May begins the season of battles. Free to move, the armies are now about to face each other.

The Battle for Albany:

Montcalm has now taken position in the Mohawk valley and is now at the gate of Albany. From the walls of the city, my troops can see the fires of the French army sieging Dayton. In the Adirondack mountains, Chevalier de Lévis has once again surprised me. Whereas I was expecting a move to Fort Henry or back to Crown point, he has kept on moving toward the Mohawk valley, it looks like he wants to join up with Marquis de Moncalm's troops to attack Albany. Meanwhile, the French Marines that were guarding Crown Point have retreated to Fort St Frédéric. I have missed an oppotunity to easily take control of this strategic location.

The Battle for Fort Duquesne

Just as Montcalm heads to Albany, Dunbar heads to Fort Duquesne. Indians have been signaled. It looks like the French are expecting us and have been calling all available reinforcements in an desesperate attempt to resist to the iminent British assault.

Petty war

Meanwhile, witht the new season, my faithfull Mohicans are back. I have ordered them to scout Montroyal surroundings.

The summer will be decisive...

USS Yorktown

Post by USS Yorktown »

Turn 16 (June 1757): Discovered Check!!

For monthes, I've been telling you that the battle was imminent. June has proved to be the bloodiest month of the campaign so far.

Mohawk valley

Having scouted an important force in Albany, Montcalm had carefully chosen to retreat in order to join with De Lévis' forces. But the British were out for him, lead by Abercromby they pursued the French and finally caught them in Oriskany where an important battle took place for several hours. Finally, Montcalm successfully escaped. He is presumed to be heading toward Oswego. Casualties are important for both sides but this is a clear victory for His Majesty's troops!

Pennsylvania

At the same moment, the British were brutally seizing the initiative in the Mohawk valley, Dunbar and Washington savagely attacked some indians villages in the surroundings of Fort Duquesne. Ignoring the important French force defending the Fort, they retaliated against their indian allies. Burning their villages to the ground.

Perfidious Albion

Wait, where was Washington? Where does Abercromby come from?
Well, I must confess in the past few monthes, I have not been telling you everything... [8D]

Since the begining, my plan has been to lure Montcalm under Albany's wall, and defeat him soundly thanks to my reinforcements. These reinforcements arrived in February in Halifax. For three monthes, I have been ferrying them secretly to Albany (via New-York). My initial plan was to bring them in while Montalm was sieging Albany but my opponent was so carefull in his approach that I had to take the initiative and strike first. This decision to strike was driven by the opportunity of the split between Montcalm forces and de Lévis forces.

February 57, Abercromby arrive with some important regular British infantry regiments

March 57: The reinforcements sail to New-York

Avril 57: Abercromby is ready to sail up the Houston

May 57: Montcalm is getting ready to siege Dayton, unaware of the new threat gathering in Albany...

In Pennsylvania however, I dramatically changed my plans. My initial objective was siege and take Fort Duquesne, but early 1757 (after having built my depot and on the edge of begining the Spring campaign), I realised that my French opponent had been concentrating a huge force to defend the Fort. Even if my Redcoats are superioly trained and equiped, they will never be able to take a so powerfully defended fort. Thus, I decided to take opportunity of this situation: I pinned down the French defensor with my main force, meanwhile, I sent Washington with a small commando to strike where the French was not...

Return to “After Action Reports”