BoA Gold expansion or stand alone?

Birth of America is an American Revolutionary War/French and Indian War grand strategy title based on a simultaneous monthly turn style of play.

Moderator: MOD_BoA/AGEOD

Hentzau

BoA Gold expansion or stand alone?

Post by Hentzau »

Will BoA Gold be a stand alone game or an expansion to the current BoA? Thanks in advance!
Hentzau

RE: BoA Gold expansion or stand alone?

Post by Hentzau »

Looked around at Ageod and answered my own question. There will be several flavors of BoA Gold. A full standalone version and a cheaper upgrade version for the original.
decaro

Post by decaro »

ORIGINAL: Hentzau

Looked around at Ageod and answered my own question. There will be several flavors of BoA Gold. A full standalone version and a cheaper upgrade version for the original.

I went to the AGEOD site and the only thing I found was the following title en Anglais, BOA Gold - Wars in North America 1750-1815, but w/the discussion en francais!

My French is pretty poor, but from what I could translate, BoA Gold will be available (?) at the end of autumn, but it would not be compatible w/the original BoA, probably because AGEOD found it difficult to incorporate AACW features into the old BoA.

But if there are two versions of BoA Gold -- a stand alone and a cheaper update to the original -- did you notice if the cheaper update is only available via download?
Stratford, Connecticut, U.S.A.[center]Image[/center]
[center]"The Angel of Okinawa"[/center]
Home of the Chance-Vought Corsair, F4U
The best fighter-bomber of World War II
Primasprit

Post by Primasprit »

ORIGINAL: Joe D.

I went to the AGEOD site and the only thing I found was the following title en Anglais, BOA Gold - Wars in North America 1750-1815, but w/the discussion en francais!

My French is pretty poor, but from what I could translate, BoA Gold will be available (?) at the end of autumn, but it would not be compatible w/the original BoA, probably because AGEOD found it difficult to incorporate AACW features into the old BoA.

But if there are two versions of BoA Gold -- a stand alone and a cheaper update to the original -- did you notice if the cheaper update is only available via download?
The English thread is here: http://www.ageod.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4145 [:)]

I quote the official announcement:
Presentation
BOA Gold is a new stand-alone version of the game (i.e. autonomous), not compatible with the previous one. We shall supply a version updater that will allow our customers of BOA 1.0 version to get updated to full Gold, and of course a complete Gold version for new customers. A large part of the work made on our recent game American Civil War (ACW) is retrofitted in the game.

Content

New Rules
• New cohesion system (based on the ACW model) and impact on combat
• Brand new concept of Engagement Points, allowing options of Armaments purchases, political and diplomatic options. In addition, a challenging Foreign Entry competitive engine will allow player to struggle in the race for the French Intervention.
• New orders (e.g. spiking the guns) and multiple choices check boxes in events windows.
• New abilities (adapted from the new ones in ACW and for the new rules here)
• Different updates and rules (e.g. combat, Indians, minutemen, blockade, privateers, naval transport, optional limited activation rules, German mercenaries, etc..)

New functionalities
• Play-by-email and TCP/IP integrated function
• Improved AI
• Multiple resolution Interface

New data
• New map : extension of the map up to the Mississippi in the west, blockade and commerce raiding boxes, new European off-map boxes (France, GB, Spain, Holland) or in the Americas (Hudson Bay, Newfoundland, Cuba)
• New leaders and units.
• New Scenarios (including at least the following)
- scenarios 1750-1780 : Lord Dunmore War, Cherokee 1760, Pontiac 1762, new F&I war campaign, full 1777, 1778 and 1779 campaigns.
- scenarios 1780-1800 : Fallen Timbers, Tippecanoe
- scenarios 1812 : New Orleans 1815, Eastern Seaboard 1814, Full War of 1812 campaign
• New Events (according to scenarios) et adaptation of previous ones to new scripting language developed for ACW.
• Extended Manual and player’s aides.
• Biographies of characters (French version only to start – update late 2007 for English version)

Commercial aspects and Expected Release Date

Release planned for September 2007.

• Add-on upgrade BOA 1.0 to Gold: 9.99 Euros by download from our website (i.e. US$ 12.00).
• Version BOA Gold: 34.99 Euros by download from our website (i.e. US$ 40.00).
• Complete BOA Gold (incl. download + 1.00 Box & Manual + CD update) at 39.99 Euros (i.e. US$ 45.00 dollars).

AGEOD Dev. Team
decaro

Post by decaro »

Thanks; you wouldn't by chance know the size (MBs) of the add-on BoA Gold update?
I have broadband at work, but only dial-up at home, and downloading large files just doesn't happen here, so I usually buy boxed sets (which makes reinstallment easy too).
Primasprit

Post by Primasprit »

ORIGINAL: Joe D.

Thanks; you wouldn't by chance know the size (MBs) of the add-on BoA Gold update?
I have broadband at work, but only dial-up at home, and downloading large files just doesn't happen here, so I usually buy boxed sets (which makes reinstallment easy too).
Sorry, I don't know that. But as BoA Gold contains a new and bigger map I would guess that the package is bigger than the one of BoA which was about 300 MB. (Unless the BoA Gold upgrade contains not the full map but also only an upgrade.)
AGEOD Dev. Team
Pocus

Post by Pocus »

The update will contains the full new map, as there are offsets between the two, so expect something around 500 to 600 Mb.
AGEOD Team
Erik Rutins

Post by Erik Rutins »

FYI, we just dropped our price on BOA today (to match AGEOD and the new release).
Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.
decaro

Post by decaro »

ORIGINAL: Pocus

The update will contains the full new map, as there are offsets between the two, so expect something around 500 to 600 Mb.

500-600 MB and only available by digital download?

The original BoA was one of the best games I bought for the money; less than $40 US.

Return to “Birth of America”