Very Good AI

Conquest! Medieval Realms, developed by Illustrious Software, is a turn-based game that combines the pure strategic gameplay of Chess and the key principles of military strategy in a historical setting. The objective is to conquer up to 7 opposing AI or human players by defeating their armies and capturing their lands. To gain supremacy, players will need to unite their spread out lands, build a roaring economy, and raise powerful armies to divide and conquer their enemies. Boost your income via markets and mines, upgrade your armies with stables and archery fields, or amass a large force, but sound strategy and careful thought will help you more than brute force.
Adam Parker

Very Good AI

Post by Adam Parker »

This game is so hard to describe conceptually in full but at its heart is its hexagonal grid.

Nothing new there in wargaming but in this one there's a twist.

Players are rewarded for building a contiguous realm of hexes and are penalised greatly whenever this continuity is broken. Breaking up an enemy's kingdom can cut revenue, meaning unit funds for upkeep become disturbed and as I wrote earlier, without pay, units just don't hang around. They vanish by the start of the next turn.

Then there are some real MoFo units that can severely interrupt the best laid kingdom by suddenly overcoming its ZOC and the Rock/Paper/Scissors balance. It's really rock-upgraded-rock-very upgraded rock/scissors etc.

Thing is, the AI knows all this and this game is proving to be a little beauty.

(I've primarily been playing the Quick Start Battles - these fire up within seconds to play. Big maneverable maps with mutliple starting towns for each side. Then there are the campaigns. Battle 2 of the "War of the Roses" has already stumped me. Then there are Skirmishes where I believe you can pre-design the map and number of players etc.

Look, even if you do play this one to death in a week or two, at $20 bucks just go buy it We'll work out the rules together later [:D]
V22 Osprey

RE: Very Good AI

Post by V22 Osprey »

We should just make an "Adam Parker" Thread.[:D]
ImageImage
Art by rogueusmc.
Adam Parker

Post by Adam Parker »

I feel like I'm the only shmuck who bought it [:D][:D]

I'm going to bed! Aussie time here.
V22 Osprey

Post by V22 Osprey »

Well, I 'm sure other people bought it, but most probably don't go to forums, and second don't forget everyone just spent $80-$100 on Admiral's edition, so most Matrix Wargamers probably don't have the cash right now.I know I don't, even if the game IS only $20.
ImageImage
Art by rogueusmc.
Hanal

Post by Hanal »

Checking this one out as I am always on the lookout for streamlined games for my notebook....reminds me a bit of Sean O'Connor's SLAY but with more detail....this one might serve as a nice bookend with Montjoie...a buy for me..
Adam Parker

Post by Adam Parker »

Games play out very quickly and there is an excitement factor this early on in my owning the game. I have been given that "one more go feeeling.

But...

The AI is scaleable 1-5. On level 3 depending on the randomization of the map, it's either a fine time winning or a fun time losing. On level 4 the AI gets a money cheat that makes its production per turn a bit more scary. Games here get more "frustrating". I've yet to win at level 5. Then there's the whole Campaign game that puts a different spin on the whole thing.

What I like is that if the AI sees me doing too well with my own Status 3 Spearmen, it will go into production and come at me with Status 3 Ranged Fire Units. Ditto cav vs ranged fire. It therefore not only plays the hex ownership game well but also the rock/paper/scissors formula.

But once a player learns this formula, at Level 3 the AI becomes more likely than not a candidate to beat.

I like this game better than Montjoie. More replayability (early on anyway).
LordJekky

Post by LordJekky »

I should maybe point out here - at no time does the AI cheat - it is always bound by the same rules as human players are.

The difference at L4 and L5 is that the AI actually spends it's entire income - not that it gets more of it.
Adam Parker

Post by Adam Parker »

ORIGINAL: LordJekky

The difference at L4 and L5 is that the AI actually spends it's entire income - not that it gets more of it.

Wow. Perception facing these L4 and L5 forces made me feel otherwise. I am very impressed. I Skirmish against 5-7 AI enemies too.

And I'd be grateful for a strategy guide of some sorts because the AI is just able to build its Status 3 units faster than me right now! That's what's devastating me most times [:D]

Once again BIG KUDOS if the AI isn't cheating.
LordJekky

Post by LordJekky »

Hmm..

A couple of people in the past have said that they didn't notice that you could combine units together (place L1 on L1 to get L2, or L1 on L2 to get L3 - must be the same type of unit)

It's about the only thing i can think of to explain why the AI would have them any faster.

Generally speaking, L2 units are going to be the "backbone" of your army, required to attack enemy towns, and good for defending important points, L3 are (usually) only useful to break enemy lines if they have a lot of castles, or to protect a critical spot.

L1 mainly get used as a cheap way to capture undefended tiles.

In any case, if that's not the reason, i would look at differences in play style between yourself and the AI - it may be getting the L3 units faster, but does it sacrifice having the numerical advantage to get it? (in which case the answer is simply to try to surround and cut it off).
killroyishere

Post by killroyishere »

Markets Markets Markets build lots of Markets and you'll easily keep up with the ai if not surpass it. Plus the fact you can combine units to make a level 2 or a level 3 pretty fast as well.

Anonymous

[Deleted]

Post by Anonymous »

[Deleted by Admins]
Horvo

Post by Horvo »

Maybe I'm doing something different, but I've played a few skirmishes on AI level 5 with max opponents and none of them have been close. I've been ahead the whole time without having to build anything but an archery. I'm using the advanced rules but this seems much much easier than slay so far. Hopefully the campaigns are more difficult. The AI has been way too passive so far in my games, barely expands at all at the beginning of the game and just builds buildings.

Return to “Conquest! Medieval Realms”