Couple of Issues

Conquest! Medieval Realms, developed by Illustrious Software, is a turn-based game that combines the pure strategic gameplay of Chess and the key principles of military strategy in a historical setting. The objective is to conquer up to 7 opposing AI or human players by defeating their armies and capturing their lands. To gain supremacy, players will need to unite their spread out lands, build a roaring economy, and raise powerful armies to divide and conquer their enemies. Boost your income via markets and mines, upgrade your armies with stables and archery fields, or amass a large force, but sound strategy and careful thought will help you more than brute force.
Adam Parker

Couple of Issues

Post by Adam Parker »

1. Can't seem to find the rulebook.

2. In Windowed mode the hot zones appear to be about an inch off their gaphics to the lower right.

3. The map "vibrates" slighlty when being scrolled.
Adam Parker

RE: Couple of Issues

Post by Adam Parker »

4. The Tutorial isn't a tutorial - its just a 3 panel rules outline that really doesn't give much useful info.

5. There's no end of turn summary or on map explanation of why your units and towns suddenly disappear due to enemy actions. What happened and what did it?

6. The color coding of the players in the bottom right corner of the screen either goes too far to the right or doesn't go far enough ie: it colors the words "1 pl" - the "ayers" isn't colred at all.

Summary
Look, I'm sure there is a fun game in here somewhere but points 1 and 5 have killed it for me already.
LordJekky

Post by LordJekky »

1 & 4: since the rules of the game are quite simple (compared to most other games at any rate) we decided to go with the simple 3 screens of instructions rather than a full tutorial. If you want it there is a basic manual available here: http://www.slitherine.com/conquest/docs/conquest.htm

2: I've known this to happen on rare occasions - i can only really think of a couple of possible causes for it. If the window is larger than the desktop area, this sort of problem can sometimes occur (in which case simply reducing the resolution should fix it). It can also sometimes happen when switching from full screen to windowed (or the other way about), in which case switching back to full screen then back to windowed will most likely resolve it. If all else fails close the game and re-open it - it will remember your last window settings and it should work fine.

3: I had to start the game to see this one - but you appear to be correct, it vibrates a little when scrolling left/right. Not something i noticed until i started looking for it though.

5: Again, with the rules being simple we didn't really feel that this would be necessary, there was also an issue of how to present such information - on a larger map size it could easily be too much information to be meaningful. That said, if enough people feel that it -is- necessary, we'll try to patch it into the game. If anyone has suggestions about it (or any other features for that matter) we're always willing to listen.

6: the colouring of the bars in the bottom right indicates the amount of the map that the player owns - it's supposed to give a quick visual indication of how well players are doing.

Erik Rutins

Post by Erik Rutins »

Adam,

We also didn't feel that any more than the three pages of rules were necessary - there's a lot of gameplay here, but really not many rules. If customers disagree, we can always add a short manual in the first update, but there's really not much to explain.

Regards,

- Erik
Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.
V22 Osprey

Post by V22 Osprey »

Adam, you have to keep in mind this is an entry level game.This is a simple yet fun game that's not designed to have large fancy manuals and be complicated.Just look at your number 5.An end of turn summary is a little much for such simple game.I'm just saying don't think of this as War in the Pacific.
ImageImage
Art by rogueusmc.
Adam Parker

Post by Adam Parker »

In point 5, what I meant is that once the player's turn is over, the AI takes over and things run at steroid speed with units and towns just vanishing from the map.

To a newbie at this game, this could be slowed down. Why did my forces vanish? Who fought them or did they run out of funds? Which color army just took my city? That's what I meant. Maybe poorly worded.

Just have an AI speed control or let pieces move one hex at a time. Really basic design stuff.

Btw I don't think it's an entry level game. It's a damn fun game but players will need some wits to have the barest of chances.
LordJekky

Post by LordJekky »

Actually, we already slowed the AI moves down - it used to run them a lot faster than it currently does.

Still, the point isn't lost on me, there will almost certainly be an update at some point, and we'll consider a speed control as something to include.
Missouri_Rebel

Post by Missouri_Rebel »

A Pbem option would be awesome. How does the multiplayer work? Is there a server to go to?

**Those who rob Peter to pay Paul can always count on the support of Paul
**A government big enough to give you everything you want is a government big enough to take from you everything you have-Gerald Ford
Johnus

Post by Johnus »

Adam Parker:

I would consider your impressions before I purchased the game, except that I find it impossible to believe that a person who uses a Red Sox Nation avatar has any judgment or taste.
Adam Parker

Post by Adam Parker »

As a guy once yelled out to me in a thick Bronx accent as I entered Lefty O'Douls in San Francisco, adorned in the Nation's regalia:

"Everywhere ya go there's a Red Sox supporter!"
LordJekky

Post by LordJekky »

Since it's now been mentioned a couple of times, i'll try to clear up the issues about multiplayer...

There is a multiplayer lobby, where you can go to find other players - just select multiplayer->internet from the menu, the rest should be fairly straightforward.

There is also the option to play a game using direct IP (mostly useful if you want to play on a LAN, and requires you to know the IP of the game host).

There is no hotseat or pbem mode available.

I will also put up a separate post about configuring firewalls and/or routers so that the game/lobby will work properly.

Return to “Conquest! Medieval Realms”