Opening move: Lash or accelerate?

Share your gameplay tips, secret tactics and fabulous strategies with fellow gamers here.
jimwinsor

Opening move: Lash or accelerate?

Post by jimwinsor »

In every game of Qvadriga, we are all faced with the same opening move conundrum, right as we leave the carceres: To whip or not to whip?

What are people's view on this? Always whip? Never whip, or is it situational? If so, what are the situations that influence your decision?
Streaming as "Grognerd" at https://www.twitch.tv/grognerd
Hanal

RE: Opening move: Lash or accelerate?

Post by Hanal »

Depending how I am positioned, I usually whip for three consecutive turns if I am on the inside, but whip twice and accelerate if I am on the outside. My ultimate goal is to hug the inside track, so how I can navigate to that position early on depends on my starting position.
Temple

Post by Temple »

On the bigger tracks where you are starting off from the gates on the left, whether to whip or not can be affected by whether you reach the straightaway in the first two turns. I've had situations where after the first two turns I've still not reached the straight and my only two options are to whip or just accelerate. Other times I have the full range of options available since I've just faced directly to the right and am out of the area of the corner. In the former case I usually whip unless I think it's likely that someone will close off my lane. In the latter case I often want to move over either to close off someones move or to get away from a potential attack.

Overall however, I'd say that I avoid whipping three time in a row at the start unless I'm near the front and there's no likelihood of someone closing off my lane. In that case I whip just to give myself a bit more of a lead before I reach the corner.
Manticore8

Post by Manticore8 »

I never whip my first three turns and seldom do at all till after I gain as much speed as possible by damage-free accelerating. I've grown to be a little more tactically conservative (but strategically more aggressive) the more I play, saving my horses' and chariots' health more than in the past. But, if I'm initially positioned in or near outside lanes I don't spare the whip for the first lap as I pass all the conflict in the middle of the pack and then slide inward at the second turn.

Whipping in the first three turns just doesn't look to me to be worth the potential cost later in the race. If a whipping driver cuts me off from my starting lane I just adjust my tactics on the fly, there're lots of options before that first turn.
Temple

Post by Temple »

ORIGINAL: Manticore8

Whipping in the first three turns just doesn't look to me to be worth the potential cost later in the race. If a whipping driver cuts me off from my starting lane I just adjust my tactics on the fly, there're lots of options before that first turn.
I'll have to give this approach a try, as I've never even considered not whipping for at least the first two turns. Hmm..
NZgunner

Post by NZgunner »

ORIGINAL: Manticore8

this is exactly how I play - in fact it is often easier to position yourself for the first corner when you aren't in first place - although this does also depend on the track
catwhoorg

Post by catwhoorg »

I rarely whip in the first three moves.
rgb07460

Post by rgb07460 »

Whip it--Whip it good
Snee

Post by Snee »

I usually accelerate first turn unless there is an even that will suggest otherwise (short race, druggedor poisoned horses horses, brake at turn, lucky turn, easily stunned etc. (there are a lot of them) ) after that you whip until you need to do something else instead. (guard or turn/control)

nicwb

Post by nicwb »

I think it depends on one thing- position. In a larger race if you're stuck behind someone on a Greek style track - why bother? I also get a bit concerned if I'm on the inside track and look like being pinned there - taking a corner at too high a speed is literally fatal. But on a Roman style track in a large race it just might get you into a good spot ahead of a rival.

Return to “The War Room”