More Games In Series?

A turn-based, simultaneous-play wargame with a classic 3D miniatures feel and a two non-linear historical campaigns.
Alan Sharif

More Games In Series?

Post by Alan Sharif »

Anybody know if there will be more titles to follow? Tin Soldiers Hannibal would be an obvious one but there are many more I could think of.
A Sharif
Erik Rutins

RE: More Games In Series?

Post by Erik Rutins »

No more Tin Soldiers titles planned, sorry. To see the next game from the same project team though, watch for the upcoming Panzer Command: Kharkov.
Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.
Alan Sharif

Post by Alan Sharif »

Thanks Eric. I will be ordering Kharkov as soon as it becomes available. 
A Sharif
benpark

Post by benpark »

Please reconsider.

I would really love to see a computer game simulations of Napoleonic tabletop wargaming in the style of the Tin Soldiers series. With a simple map editor, and an ability to "paint" your own minis, it would be the best in the field.
"Fear is a darkroom where the devil develops his negatives" Gary Busey
Adraeth

Post by Adraeth »

ORIGINAL: benpark

Please reconsider.

I would really love to see a computer game simulations of Napoleonic tabletop wargaming in the style of the Tin Soldiers series. With a simple map editor, and an ability to "paint" your own minis, it would be the best in the field.

This would be awesome, there are plenty of rulesets that could be used for this, and a simple map editor, a cool AI and the ability to paint soldiers will be a delight

GREAT IDEA!
www.histwar.fr/
---
Periods i like: age of muskets, napoleonics, modern combat.
benpark

Post by benpark »

Plus it would save me the money I'm about to spend at Eureka/AB miniatures after Christmas!

This series is too interesting to let die off. Kharkov is on my list of games to get, but the real genius and spirit of invention lies with Tin Soldiers.

Think of the other possibilities available- American Civil War, English Civil War, Franco-Prussian War, Zulu Wars (or Victorian Era), 100 Years War, WWI, WWII (done in TS tabletop style)...etc, etc.
Deride

Post by Deride »

Unfortunately, the market place is what decides what games to make -- and there was some interest in ancients, but not enough to keep the series alive beyond what we created.

Deride
benpark

Post by benpark »

Napoleonics has a pretty rabid following, particularly in tabletop gaming. Keep it in mind if the WWII doesn't keep your interest...
Hidde

Post by Hidde »

Me too, miss the Tin Soldiers games very much. To think of what further development of campaign and/or other theaters of war could have produced brings tears to my eye(almost).
I've been thinking of the fact that the old Talonsofts games have been worked on by a team from Matrix and then re-released. I haven't followed that development very much and maybe the games only had graphic updates and xp/Vista compatibility added. Maybe a stupid idea but couldn't a team outside of Koios make for example an editor as was suggested in another thread?
Please..[:)]
Agrippa

Post by Agrippa »

A Napoleonic version does sound like fun.
Salute,

Agrippa
ravinhood

Post by ravinhood »

ORIGINAL: Deride

Unfortunately, the market place is what decides what games to make -- and there was some interest in ancients, but not enough to keep the series alive beyond what we created.

Deride

Hell it would help if you had a publisher that advertised your game and got it out to review sites that other people read more than here. I find your statement hard to believe with Rome Total War as popular as it is. HPS PUNIC WARS and now GALLIC WARS out and then several RTS versions of ancients. Legion by Slitherine was reported to have sold over 100,000 copies according to the developer Iain. This game just got tossed in a dark cave and never got any exposure around the world wide web. I am amazed Gamespot, and Gamespy, Wargamer and Armchair General didn't review this game. It's really good and deserves more exposure and attention than it got imho.
WE/I WANT 1:1 or something even 1:2 death animations in the KOIOS PANZER COMMAND SERIES don't forget Erik! ;) and Floating Paratroopers We grew up with Minor, Marginal and Decisive victories why rock the boat with Marginal, Decisive and Legendary?

siRkid

Post by siRkid »

Too bad. I just reloaded this game and I've having loads of fun. Its much better than HPS' Punic Wars. Maybe open it up to the fans to mod?
Former War in the Pacific Test Team Manager and Beta Tester for War in the East.

SS Hauptsturmfuhrer

Post by SS Hauptsturmfuhrer »

These ancient games look cool.  I wish I had discovered them earlier.  I hope they are still on sale next time I put in a game order.
jinchoung

Post by jinchoung »

D'OH!

i confess that i'm coming at this from a NON ancients perspective but as someone who has just discovered the joys of miniatures wargaming (through warhammer 40k) i am really disappointed to hear that you will not continue the "tin soldiers" line.

i like the tactical aspect of minis where no time is spent on unit production ala rts's (i HATE this), the amount of units as well as the size of the playfield is "graspable" and so real thought can be thrown at the problems focusing on unit abilities and terrain.

imo, something that WOULD sell is a generalized 3d table top simulator with moddable units and rules (although you include default rules for ancients, napoleon, ww1, ww2, modern) that emphasizes the TACTILE aspects of minis that only minis supply.

no animation on the models themselves (though gunfire effects etc would be cool) but the ability to get up close and have the lighting and texturing be such that it looks and feels like the minis experience.

heck, and there are probably a  lot of zbrush enthusiasts that would jump into the game for making units alone!

also, "tin soldiers" is too much of an anachronism imo.  howabout "miniature wargaming kit"?  and aim it at the warhammer crowd?  just make it moddable enough and even though you don't include any warhammer like stuff (to stay wide of the sue happy gamesworkshop), that crowd will flock to it!  seriously, the road to profitability is right there in front of you!

anyway, ever since i discovered minis gaming, i've been looking for a pc equivalent and while there are plenty of pc versions of hexes kinda "board" wargames, there's nothing but the tin soldiers series that replicates minis.  and that's a real shame because minis offer the advantage of greater accessibility and "gameness" over more simulation-like "board wargames".

the closest i've come is the COMBAT MISSION series of games (classic series, not modern combat), the war engine (scale is squad level and too small for my taste though i'm gonna see if it's moddable to platoon/company level ala warhammer 40k) and a simulator in alpha called VIRTUAL TABLETOP (the last sounds perfect but alas, has no AI).

anyway, i hope you guys find a way to target the gamesworkshop crowd and get back in the minis business!  cuz there's a lot of folks who fancy lots of eras that would really love such a product.

jin
Erik Rutins

Post by Erik Rutins »

Hi Jin,

Although Tin Soldiers did not continue, Koios Works did work on both Panzer Command: Winterstorm and Panzer Command: Kharkov if you want to take a look at their work after Tin Soldiers. The origi of the Panzer Command series was in a set of tabletop miniatures rules called "Panzer War" created by Steve Lorenz, so there's a miniatures angle there too.

Regards,

- Erik
Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.
jinchoung

Post by jinchoung »

hi erik,

thanks!  cool, i'll definitely look into their panzer series then!

(but i still want my miniatures wargaming kit so i'm hoping the idea burrows into your subconscious' and should an opportune moment arise, will come to fruition)  : )

jin
Steely Glint

Post by Steely Glint »

ORIGINAL: Deride

Deride

if the game had gotten the publicity it deserved IMO it would have been a big seller.

And, yes, there is enough interest in Ancients. The game just didn't reach the audience.
“It was a war of snap judgments and binary results—shoot or don’t, live or die.“

Wargamer since 1967. Matrix customer since 2003.
Steely Glint

Post by Steely Glint »

And I also want a Napoleonic miniatures game. One is long overdue.
“It was a war of snap judgments and binary results—shoot or don’t, live or die.“

Wargamer since 1967. Matrix customer since 2003.
e_barkmann

Post by e_barkmann »

And I also want a Napoleonic miniatures game

+1
Scourge of War multiplayer group

http://steamcommunity.com/groups/sowwaterloo
Anguille

Post by Anguille »

It's really a huge frustration to belong to the small group of people who enjoy intelligent computer games...this is eating me up...why am i not a shooter or WoW fan?  [>:]

Return to “Tin Soldiers: Julius Caesar”