Any chance for a Rome/mp expansion after or before your new game?

Hannibal: Rome and Carthage in the Second Punic War is a new and innovative turn-based strategy game that puts you in command of the Carthaginian military during a period of total war over land and sea with the young Roman Republic. With this military juggernaut of the ancient world at your disposal, you will vie for control over Italy, Carthage, Spain and the Mediterranean Sea using a combination of strategic political maneuvering and sheer tactical skill both on land and sea. Play consists of two layers; the first is a strategic layer where you must prudently steer your forces to the destruction of Rome’s army and the ultimate destruction of the Republic and city itself. At your disposal are a variety of unit types and historical commanders from which to form your armies. On the tactical scale, when meeting the enemy in battle, skilled leadership and a knack for war come into play as you use a simple but engaging battle system to best your opponents.

Moderator: mercenarius

GorgoPrimus

Any chance for a Rome/mp expansion after or before your new game?

Post by GorgoPrimus »

This is one of my favorite digital board games I own, but it would be twice as good if you could play as Rome as well or could play it mp with one player taking either side. Since both sides seem to be fully able with their own senate and hand of cards, etc anyways...

So I'm sure you've been asked this before, but I figured it'd be worth a try: is there any chance at all that you would be willing to put out an expansion that made Rome playable and added multiplayer at some point? Right now the closest you can get is hunting down a rare pricey copy of the old board game this is based on, and even if you did find a copy, that version is lacking some of the cool game-play improvements (like how weather works) that you came up with.
mercenarius

RE: Any chance for a Rome/mp expansion after or before your new game?

Post by mercenarius »

First off, I apologize for the delay in responding. I wanted to think about this a bit before I gave an answer.

Secondly, thanks for your kind words about the game.

Now, an expansion for "Hannibal" is a possibility. But it might have to be funded through something like Kickstarter. I can't spend the time on it if demand is going to prove to be low. Adding the capability to play Rome and multiplayer capability is a significant investment in time. It's about like doing a new game.

Here's one reason: play balance in the old "Hannibal" board game was a real problem. If they Romans don't fight Hannibal, and don't commit any blunders, then the Carthaginian player simply cannot win.

So there has to be some design work in order to put some constraints on the Roman player and make the game a challenge.

I am curious what some of the other players think. How many of you would like to see this addition to "Hannibal" before getting something else (like 'The Fall of Rome')?
James Warshawsky
Forced March Games, LLC
conger

Post by conger »

I would vote for "The Fall of Rome". As you mentioned, balancing the game would be very difficult and probably require either forcing the Roman player to make bad moves, or giving the Carthaginians a combat and production boost. There's also nothing stopping you from coming back at a later date and adding that feature, like Frank Hunter and CotD. BTW, "Hannibal" is one of the best wargames I've played and I can't wait for "The Fall of Rome".

PS any update on "The Fall of Rome"?
mercenarius

Post by mercenarius »

PS any update on "The Fall of Rome"?

I am back to working on "The Fall of Rome" more or less full time while I try to scrounge up some additional contract work. After that I'll try to keep working on "The Fall of Rome" on a part-time basis at a minimum.

I should be able to post something next week with some progress on the tactical battles.
James Warshawsky
Forced March Games, LLC
PJJ

Post by PJJ »

New game first, please! [:)]

But when it's finished, I wouldn't mind getting an improved version of Hannibal. It's still one of my all-time favourite computer games and one of those rare titles that I find myself returning to year after year. So if it could be made even better, I'd gladly support your Kickstarter or something.

PS. I'd love to see new screenshots of The Fall of Rome. :)
"But here we are in a chamber pot, about to be shitted upon."

-French General Auguste Ducrot before the Battle of Sedan, September 1870
conger

Post by conger »

Thanks for the update, I saw somewhere that you where working on Victory and Glory: Napoleon too? I like the system you have here and hope Forced March Games does well; eager for the update.
Lascar

Post by Lascar »

I would encourage you to give priority to complete "The Fall of Rome." Hannibal is indeed worthy of further expansion but many of us are anxious to get our hands on "Fall of Rome." In the meantime, I will purchase Victory & Glory: Napoleon upon release and get many hours of enjoyment while waiting for "Fall of Rome." I think your design for strategic level wargames is inspired. They are approachable and easy to get into but have a high historical immersion value -- based on Hannibal -- and are enjoyable to play.
toddtreadway

Post by toddtreadway »

James, you are also the one responsible for Victory and Glory, correct? I'm curious how that ended up with Electronic Games vs Forced March Games?
mercenarius

Post by mercenarius »

you are also the one responsible for Victory and Glory, correct?

I am the programmer on the project. I also contributed some game design.

The creator and the chief designer of the game is Glenn Drover. He owns the game and that is why the game is developed by Electric Games, rather than Forced March Games.
James Warshawsky
Forced March Games, LLC
GorgoPrimus

Post by GorgoPrimus »

Well, for what it is worth I do plan to get Fall of Rome when it comes out, and would kickstart an expansion to Hannibal within the first hour of it going up. :) Thanks for giving the idea due consideration.
James Ward

Post by James Ward »

This game is a real gem. I can't believe it just found it. I would like to see this system used more. It is one of the best solo games I have played. Even though there is only one scenario I have played it 5 times and each has played different. GREAT JOB!

Return to “Hannibal: Rome and Carthage in the Second Punic War”