Play with Rome?

Hannibal: Rome and Carthage in the Second Punic War is a new and innovative turn-based strategy game that puts you in command of the Carthaginian military during a period of total war over land and sea with the young Roman Republic. With this military juggernaut of the ancient world at your disposal, you will vie for control over Italy, Carthage, Spain and the Mediterranean Sea using a combination of strategic political maneuvering and sheer tactical skill both on land and sea. Play consists of two layers; the first is a strategic layer where you must prudently steer your forces to the destruction of Rome’s army and the ultimate destruction of the Republic and city itself. At your disposal are a variety of unit types and historical commanders from which to form your armies. On the tactical scale, when meeting the enemy in battle, skilled leadership and a knack for war come into play as you use a simple but engaging battle system to best your opponents.

Moderator: mercenarius

Selus

Play with Rome?

Post by Selus »

you can play with rome o i only can with carthage¿
mercenarius

RE: Play with Rome?

Post by mercenarius »

You can only play Carthage.

Naturally, I think that it's a great game even with that limitation.

Anything else I might say would sound biased. [;)]
James Warshawsky
Forced March Games, LLC
Arnulfe

RE: Play with Rome?

Post by Arnulfe »

I just discovered this game over the weekend and spent 4 obsessive days playing it. Lots of re-starting the game after turns 1-3 after making catastrophic UI/movement errors or just not quite grasping the rules. However I found the game strategically and tactically engrossing, it really captures the essence of the 2nd Punic War. This is the type of game that requires some interest in the 2nd Punic War to appreciate, but if you are interested in the period it's a real gem. Would love to see more games in this style.

Regarding replayability and playing as Rome, I lost countless games until finally "solving" the game at normal difficulty level for a 56-point marginal victory. The very next game, I played on Hard and managed a 121-point decisive victory. So for the $15 discount price, 4 solid days worth of engrossing gameplay was a great deal, but for the original price Rome should be playable too IMO. I probably won't return to the game now that I've finally figured out the winning Carthage strategy on Hard level, but it was a blast and definitely worth the $15. Excellent game overall.

Return to “Hannibal: Rome and Carthage in the Second Punic War”