To the Gates of Rome - a Hannibal:Rome&Carthage AAR

Hannibal: Rome and Carthage in the Second Punic War is a new and innovative turn-based strategy game that puts you in command of the Carthaginian military during a period of total war over land and sea with the young Roman Republic. With this military juggernaut of the ancient world at your disposal, you will vie for control over Italy, Carthage, Spain and the Mediterranean Sea using a combination of strategic political maneuvering and sheer tactical skill both on land and sea. Play consists of two layers; the first is a strategic layer where you must prudently steer your forces to the destruction of Rome’s army and the ultimate destruction of the Republic and city itself. At your disposal are a variety of unit types and historical commanders from which to form your armies. On the tactical scale, when meeting the enemy in battle, skilled leadership and a knack for war come into play as you use a simple but engaging battle system to best your opponents.

Moderator: mercenarius

gwgardner

To the Gates of Rome - a Hannibal:Rome&Carthage AAR

Post by gwgardner »

I'm going to play the game on normal level. One of the things about this game that a player learns real quickly is that the AI is good. Very good. 'Normal' will be a challenge.

I'm also going to use the 'standard first move' option, which starts the game off with Hannibal's army in the Po Valley, after having crossed the Alps.

By the way, I'm playing on probably the cheapeast laptop available these days. No problem with this game.

Attachments
capture_21..0_181056.jpg
capture_21..0_181056.jpg (207.65 KiB) Viewed 1139 times

gwgardner

RE: To the Gates of Rome - a Hannibal:Rome&Carthage AAR

Post by gwgardner »

Another option I'll select is to play the game's music. Now that's normally something I turn off from the very first with every game I ever get, but not with HRC. This game's soundtrack is actually pleasing and non-obtrusive.

By choosing the standard start, I sacrifice my first turn choices of reinforcements and positioning. On the other hand, I know what kind of force I'll start with. With the dynamic startup, I would have to undergo attrition crossing the Alps. Sometimes that can hit hard.

Here's the way things look at start. Elephants! Hannibal's going to have a perch high above the battle. North African cavalry and infantry, and the same from Spain.

Circles around the attack factors indicate an attack bonus. The African infantry, although not all that powerfull in attack, have the advantage of absorbing more hits. If they're in a battle, each African infantry absorbs two hits.

I play with the banner option that shows how strong a garrison or army is. Bottom number in cities is the permanent garrison. Top number is troops that can be moved out of the city. The underscore shows that there is a commander with the force.

Right off it's obvious that the Romans can gather a force nearby that is nominally stronger than Hannibal's Army. Something the Romans don't know yet is that Hannibal's very presence on a battlefield makes a difference.

Attachments
capture_21..0_181452.jpg
capture_21..0_181452.jpg (233.51 KiB) Viewed 1138 times

gwgardner

Post by gwgardner »

Rome shows its mettle from the very beginning. In the very face of an invading army entering Italy, the Senate authorizes the young Scipio to take five legions to Spain. Scipio shows his cunning by employing subterfuge [an action card as shown below] to force the city of Emporium to open its gates.

Scipio then takes to the field against the stronger Carthagenian force led by Hasdrubal. Their battle is a draw, leaving 3 Roman legions in the field in Italy, against Hasdrubal's 4.

Attachments
capture_21..0_194757.jpg
capture_21..0_194757.jpg (73.92 KiB) Viewed 1138 times

gwgardner

Post by gwgardner »

Meanwhile Propraetor Fabius gathers the forces of northern Italy and challenges Hannibal. While the forces are about even in strength, Fabius is soon to learn that Hannibal's skills as a leader far surpass his own.

The results of the first clash are devastating to Fabius' Army, and he is forced to retreat.

Attachments
Untitled.jpg
Untitled.jpg (90.58 KiB) Viewed 1138 times

gwgardner

Post by gwgardner »

The first year of the war ends with a series of Roman moves to strengthen its defenses in Central Italy. Hannibal communicates with Carthage, and demands that the Senate authorize reinforcements to his force.

[On normal level, Hannibal's (mine?) recommendations to the Senate are always accepted.

Attachments
capture_21..0_195554.jpg
capture_21..0_195554.jpg (43.65 KiB) Viewed 1138 times

gwgardner

Post by gwgardner »

It's year 2 of the war, and here's the situation in Italy and Spain.

Hannibal needs reinforcements, which will be sent from Africa if they can get through the Roman fleets. With more troops, all the cities in Cisalpine Gaul can be secured, and then Hannibal can direct his attentions southward.

Attachments
cap01.jpg
cap01.jpg (104.15 KiB) Viewed 1138 times

gwgardner

Post by gwgardner »

I should have done this the first turn, but now I will play the Gallic Aid option card. This will give me immediate recruits, and ensure me reinforcements as long as I can control Cisalpine Gaul.

1) I play the card, and get the reinforcements to Hannibal's army;
2) The Romans can respond with the play of their own card - they choose 'death of an elephant', which kills the elephant contingent in my army
3) I play another card - immediate reinforcements to one Italian city in my hands - I choose Turin, to help hold on to the pass over the Alps.
4) the Romans decline to play a card;
5) I play the Syracusan treachary card, which brings Syracuse over to the Carthagenians
6) Again Rome declines to respond.

Attachments
cap02.jpg
cap02.jpg (36.19 KiB) Viewed 1138 times

gwgardner

Post by gwgardner »

Hopefully the new threat from Syracuse will make the Romans think twice about sending more troops to Spain.

Attachments
cap03.jpg
cap03.jpg (58.19 KiB) Viewed 1138 times

gwgardner

Post by gwgardner »

Best laid plans ... and all that ....

Turns out I can't reinforce Hannibal from Africa, because the Romans still control Genoa. I could send troops from Spain, but that would leave Hasdrubal at the mercy of Scipio.

I settle for storming the two cities in Cisalpine Gaul that control the passes through the Alps, then I besiege Placentia.

Attachments
cap01.jpg
cap01.jpg (68.52 KiB) Viewed 1138 times

gwgardner

Post by gwgardner »

My new Syracusan allies essay out of their stronghold to besiege Lilybaeum. I then send the Carthagenian navy with three fleets into the Ionian Sea to attack the Roman fleet there. Victory!

Attachments
cap02.jpg
cap02.jpg (68.84 KiB) Viewed 1138 times

gwgardner

Post by gwgardner »

Time to await the Roman response to my actions this year. I receive yearly reinforcements.

Attachments
cap04.jpg
cap04.jpg (36.18 KiB) Viewed 1140 times

gwgardner

Post by gwgardner »

The Romans do not remain supine within their walls. Instead they begin recruiting furiously. They play three recruitment cards in turn, and even though I respond with treachery to subborn units in two of their cities, they end up with a huge army to march north from Rome. By joining with the force in Genoa, 17 legions approach my siege of Placentia.

I have a choice: maintain the siege, or abandon it for a better tactical position.

Attachments
cap05.jpg
cap05.jpg (72.97 KiB) Viewed 1140 times

gwgardner

Post by gwgardner »

I abandon the siege, because I want to be able to use Hannibal's battle tactics. The Romans attack my army. I use the 'inspired troops' battle tactic.

Attachments
cap06.jpg
cap06.jpg (43.63 KiB) Viewed 1140 times

gwgardner

Post by gwgardner »

The battle starts off with a slight advantage to me in strength, but they have the numbers. On round two of the fighting however, Hannibals inspired troops take control of the battlefield and destroy fully 1/3 of the enemy legions. The Romans know when to 'fight another day,' but they have to suffer pursuit by my superior cavalry. Two more losses to them in the pursuit.

Attachments
cap07.jpg
cap07.jpg (111.55 KiB) Viewed 1140 times

gwgardner

Post by gwgardner »

There is a small naval skirmish in the Ionian Sea, when a Roman fleet of 3 attacks the Syracusan fleet of 2, and wipes it out. Smart of the AI to go after the small fry first. But then it decided to attack my fleet of 3. I came out ahead.

Overall for year 2, I've done well wherever I have met the enemy, but the ability of the Romans to raise such huge armies quickly is daunting.

gwgardner

Post by gwgardner »

Year three and the Senate has authorized the reinforcement of Spain. Hannibal advised it, and he's sure that those troops, when not needed in Spain, will be coming across the Alps eventually.

Attachments
cap26.jpg
cap26.jpg (39.66 KiB) Viewed 1140 times

gwgardner

Post by gwgardner »

So Hasdrubal is going to get troops from Africa, and he'll attack Scipio. Hannibal is champing at the bit, but reluctantly concedes that he must stay put in Cisalpine Gaul for the time being. The Romans have 3 legions in Tarentum, 3 in Rome, and 11 in Genoa. They'll no doubt raise more. So Hannibal has decided to gather forces locally, and siege Genoa. He knows that Rome will not sit idly by while it happens.

Attachments
Untitled.jpg
Untitled.jpg (183.75 KiB) Viewed 1140 times

gwgardner

Post by gwgardner »

At the end of my turn, I have three cities under siege, and seven fleets protecting Africa.

Attachments
Untitled.jpg
Untitled.jpg (103.01 KiB) Viewed 1140 times

gwgardner

Post by gwgardner »

In a coordinated set of moves, the Romans spent the year consolidating their forces in Etruria. Scipio was overawed by Hasdrubal's reinforced army, and used his protected harbor in the besieged city of Emporium, to sail from Spain, and ended in Pisa. Flavius gathered troops from Tarentum and brought them north to Rome. No battle. But year 4 presages an enormous battle on the plains of the Po Valley ... unless ... unless Hannibal dares to abondon the siege of Genua and advance into the heart of Italy.

I'm thinking this is too big a decision for one man alone! I'll leave it up to any readers - should Hannibal maintain his siege? And let Scipio, or the new Consul Fabius bring 15+ legions north? Or should he take the initiative, and strike hard against Scipio at Pisa, then ravage the Roman hinterland?

Deliberate upon this: Genua is a large city. It will not fall to siege for at least another three years.

Attachments
cap58.jpg
cap58.jpg (110.68 KiB) Viewed 1140 times

PJJ

Post by PJJ »

Another good AAR. [:)]

It seems to me that it would be a waste of Hannibal's talents to spend so much time in siege warfare and let the Romans do what they want in the meantime. Strike south and make the old men of the Senate tremble. You should be able to get support from the Italians of the south, too. And maybe a direct threat to Rome would make the Romans leave Hasdrubal alone in Spain to finish his operations, and then maybe reinforce Hannibal?
"But here we are in a chamber pot, about to be shitted upon."

-French General Auguste Ducrot before the Battle of Sedan, September 1870

Return to “Hannibal: Rome and Carthage in the Second Punic War”