Hannibal: Rome & Carthage. 2nd AAR

Hannibal: Rome and Carthage in the Second Punic War is a new and innovative turn-based strategy game that puts you in command of the Carthaginian military during a period of total war over land and sea with the young Roman Republic. With this military juggernaut of the ancient world at your disposal, you will vie for control over Italy, Carthage, Spain and the Mediterranean Sea using a combination of strategic political maneuvering and sheer tactical skill both on land and sea. Play consists of two layers; the first is a strategic layer where you must prudently steer your forces to the destruction of Rome’s army and the ultimate destruction of the Republic and city itself. At your disposal are a variety of unit types and historical commanders from which to form your armies. On the tactical scale, when meeting the enemy in battle, skilled leadership and a knack for war come into play as you use a simple but engaging battle system to best your opponents.

Moderator: mercenarius

Fletcher

RE: Hannibal: Rome & Carthage. 2nd AAR

Post by Fletcher »

ORIGINAL: Fletcher

TURN 14

1 Companion Cavalry raised at Carthage.

One Roman fleet was driven to port due storms have ravaged Tyrrhenian Sea. Roman Fleet get refugee at Rome.

Senate Decree: Sent forces to Gaul !

04 Command Phases are supported.

Hannibal is activated and without enough forces to cross mountais into Campania I put under siege the city of Tarentum.

All naval Carthage sqdrns are gathered at Carthage port.

No other phases are played.

Hannibal Punic Tricks draw from the pile ! (that´s very good to keep on hand when necesary !!)

No Recruitings.

ROME TURN:

Africanus with a huge Army storms New Carthage (!!): Roman played "Roman Siege" Option card and 2 militia units are destroyed at once. Rome lost 3 Rome Legions and 2 Latin Auxiliar Infantry units vs 2 more Carthage Militia units, 2 african infantry units, 6 spanish infantry unit, 1 spanish cavalry unit. Mottones and Hasdrubal were both killed. Africanus is promoted !. That´s the biggest disaster in this war !.

The Roman senate has not authorized any new recruits this year.

Nero is elected Consul
Crassus is reelected Consul
Africanus is reelected Proconsul
Fabius and Cethegus are elected Praetos.

New Remplacement leader in Carthage: Boutar and Maharbal.

Advice to Senate for the next year: SEND REINFORCES TO ITALY (Africanus probably will be recalled to fight against Hannibal or would be sent to Africa to storm Carthage!, but I ever have the option to recall my forces to Africa).

Attachments
fsscr001.gif
fsscr001.gif (238.79 KiB) Viewed 299 times

WITP-AE, WITE
Fletcher

Post by Fletcher »

TURN 15

01 African Infantry is raised at Carthage.
Siege Report: Tarentum will surrender in one year.

Senate Decree: Raid Corsica and Sardinia.

Hasdrubal is activated at Carthage with 3 African Infantry units to departure by sealift to Sardinia and put under siege the city of Carales.

No other command phases are played due I want to going on with my siege over Tarentum. At spain I have not forces and at Carthage I have not enought forces to avoid enemy landings.

Hannibal on the march Option Card is draw from the pile

ROME TURN:

Storms have ravaged Ionian Sea and one Rome fleet is drawn to port (Syracuse).

Cethegus with 1 Rome Legion departure by Sea from Carales to reach Reghium. (!)

1 spanish cavalry is raised at Spain by Africanus after played an Option Card.

Rome Recruitings: 1 Spanish Infantry to Africanus.

Nero is elected Praetor.
Crassus is reelected Consul
Valerius is elected Consul
Cethegus is reelected Praetor.

TOTAL UNITS RAISED BY CARTHAGE: 01
TOTAL UNITS LOST BY CARTHAGE: 0

TOTAL UNITS RAISED BY ROME: 02
TOTAL UNITS LOST BY ROME: 0

Attachments
turn.gif
turn.gif (333.17 KiB) Viewed 300 times

WITP-AE, WITE
Fletcher

Post by Fletcher »

TURN 16

01 Naval squadron is raised at Carthage .
Senate Decree: Sent forces to Spain. I´m very surprised with this decree.. I have not forces there and the huge roman Army under Africanus is there.

Carales at Sardinia and Tarentum at Bruttium have surrender to my forces !! ...A very good news.

03 Command Phases are supported for this turn.

Hannibal´s Command Phase: Hannibal´s Army cross the mountains across Venusia to put under siege the city of Capua. I want to see them under their knees...

With Senate Decree to sent forces to Spain and my leaders at Carthage I have not option to decline to use the other command phases.

Hannibal Punic Tricks Option Card draw from the pile (a very good card to be played in a near future against the Rome Armies near Rome).

RECRUITING PHASE: 01 Italian Infantry to Carales at Sardinia !

ROME TURN:

After Africanus command phase (dispersing his forces in the Iberian Penninsula) , AI played "Elephants died" Option Card. I lost 1 elephant unit from Hannibal´s Army.

Crassus with 1 Rome Legion and 1 LAtin cavalry departure by sealift movement from Rome to storm Tarentum !!.... 1 Carthage Miltia only in the city: my militia unit is destroyed and Rome capture Tarentum without losses... but less units will defend Rome (!)

No Rome recruitings in this turn.

Nero have been elected consul.
Crassus is reelected Consul.
Valerius is elected praetor.
Africanus is reelected Propraetor.
Cethegus is reelected Praetor.

Advise to Senate: Sent reinforcements to Italy ! (it´s needed if I want to capture Rome before Turn 20)

Attachments
fsscr001.gif
fsscr001.gif (350 KiB) Viewed 300 times

WITP-AE, WITE
Maulet

Post by Maulet »

Hello Fletcher,

one question: what is the effect to have new consuls? anyone?

thanks! [:)]
Fletcher

Post by Fletcher »

Maulet,

Consuls are elected any new year, like you know, but leaders factor are diferents from them :)
I hope this helps
You´re wellcomed.
Ramón

WITP-AE, WITE
Fletcher

Post by Fletcher »

TURN 17

One naval squadron is raised at Carthage.
Capua Siege Report: will surrender in one year !

Carthage Senate Decree: Send forces to sicily !!

I have 3 command phases for this turn, but with the siege of Capua by Hannibal´s Army, and all my other commanders at Carthage with the Senate Decree to sent forces to Sicily, I prefer to be conservative and follow on with the recruiting phase: 01 Italian infantry recruited at Sardinia (Carales).

ROME TURN:

Crassus moves from Rome by sea movement to Tarentum with 1 rome legion. Cethegus departure by sea at Tarentum with 1 Latin Cavalry to Ancona. Valerius with the Rome garrison. No moves from the Rome Army at Spain...

Rome recruiting phase: 01 naval squadron at Rhegium and 01 naval squadron at Tarentum.

TOTAL UNITS RAISED BY CARTHAGE: 02
TOTAL UNITS LOST BY CARTHAGE: 00

TOTAL UNITS RAISED BY ROME: 02
TOTAL UNITS LOST BY ROME: 00

Valerius is elected Consul.
Nero is reelected Consul.
Africanus is reelected Proconsul (romans must be very glad with him ! )
Minucius and Mamilius are elected Praetors.

SENT FORCES TO ITALY IS MY ADVICE TO SENATE...the latest turn I will effort to capture Rome if possible !.

Attachments
fsscr001.gif
fsscr001.gif (390.29 KiB) Viewed 306 times

WITP-AE, WITE
Fletcher

Post by Fletcher »

TURN 18

Two naval squadrons and 1 African infantry are raised at Carthage !.
Capua has surrender to my troops (enemy lost 2 militia units)

Option card is played to eliminate one latin cavalry from Valerius Army. In responds, Rome played a Treachery Option Card, I lost two italian infantry (one from Sardinia garrison and another one from Hannibal´s Army)

Hannibal´s Army put under siege Tarentum.. I left two spanish infantry units with my militia at Capua like garrison.

With 7 naval squadrons at Carthage, I feel sure to departure to Mediterranean Sea.. I would like to recall my Hasdrubal Army at Sardinia if possible in the next turn.

The remaining command phase is lost due I will not better option to await Rome movements...

Hannibal on the March option card is draw from the pile.
1 italian infantry is recruited at Sardinia (Carales).

ROME TURN:

Rome played Recruit one Ally Option Card: 01 spanish infantry is recruited at Spain.
Minucius with one latin cavalry departure from Tarentum by sea to reach Ancona.

The Roman Senate has not authorized any new recruits this year.

Several naval movements by Rome in responds of my huge Armada at mediterranean Sea... Naval Squadrons from Italy join with Syracuse fleet at Ionian Sea, probably Rome will try to fight a naval battle the next turn!.

TOTAL UNITS RAISED BY CARTHAGE: 04
TOTAL UNITS LOST BY CARTHAGE: 02

TOTAL UNITS RAISED BY ROME: 01
TOTAL UNITS LOST BY ROME: 02

Crassus is elected Consul
Valerius is reelected Consul
Cethegus is elected Praetor
Minucius is reelected Praetor

REINFORCE ITALY ADVISE SENT TO SENATE.ç

Attachments
fsscr001.gif
fsscr001.gif (334.83 KiB) Viewed 306 times

WITP-AE, WITE
lancer

Post by lancer »

G'day,

Is this just historical flavour or does it serve a purpose in the game?

Cheers,

Lancer
Fletcher

Post by Fletcher »

ORIGINAL: lancer

G'day,

Is this just historical flavour or does it serve a purpose in the game?

Cheers,

Lancer

This serve a purpose in the game, they will be generals with different factors to the next turn/year campaign :) and they will be changed the next year (or reelected !). It´s not the same to face a Rome Army under Cethegus than under Africanus!!
I hope this helps !
Best wishes
Ramón

WITP-AE, WITE
Fletcher

Post by Fletcher »

TURN 19

01 Naval Squadron is raised at Carthage
Tarentum Siege Report: will surrender in one year

Senate Decrees: Send forces to Spain !

03 Command Phases are supported for this year.

the new naval squadron departure from Carthage to join with Mediterranean Carthage Fleet. With 8 naval squadrons and 8 naval sealift points I hope Carthage Senate support the idea of sent forces to Italy in the next turn for a last effort to capture Rome.

No other commands phases were played due I have Tarentum under siege (a major city) and I want to capture before the last offensive in the next turn.

Extended Move Option card is draw from the pile

Recruitings: 01 Italian infantry to Sardinia garrison (Carales). If I get the Senate permission, Hasdrubal with his sardinian Army would be supported by 8 naval squadrons to landing at Italy and support the Hannibal war efforts !

One rome naval sqdrn is lost due attrition by storms on the Adriatic Sea.
Crassus with 2 latin cavalry and 1 Rome Legions embarked at Ancona to land at Cisalpine Gaul and storm Patavium. In spite two latin cavalry were routed, I lost my 2 garrison units and Rome capture the city without losses. Crassus move to storm Genua with the same army playing the "Rome Siege" Option Card. I lost 2 militia units at once. This time Crassus storm failure and rome army take refugee at Placentia. I have not losses.

Rome recruitings: 3 naval squadrons (2 Rhegium, 1 Rome) and 1 Spanish infantry (for the Spanish rome army)

Crassus is reelected Consul. Cethegus is elected Consul.
Africanus is reelected Proconsul.
Nero and Valerius are elected Praetors.

REINFORCE ITALY is my advise to the older man in the Senate ! I hope they ear my suggest.

(1) Screenshot with game status at turn 19

Attachments
fsscr001.gif
fsscr001.gif (379.54 KiB) Viewed 306 times

WITP-AE, WITE
PJJ

Post by PJJ »

Looks like it won't be easy to beat the AI. Do you think it's still possible before the game ends?
"But here we are in a chamber pot, about to be shitted upon."

-French General Auguste Ducrot before the Battle of Sedan, September 1870
Fletcher

Post by Fletcher »

Hi PJJ,
I am pretty sure that would be very difficult, my first long-term game was a defeat too with Hannibal lost in a huge pitched battle, this time i followed a very conservative strategy to avoid that, and to let me sealift capabilities (lost in my first game versus a very aggresive AI at Sea).
I will follow and end with my game tomorrow :)
Best of wishes, and thank your for posting.

Ramón

WITP-AE, WITE
Fletcher

Post by Fletcher »

TURN 20

05 COMMAND PHASES ARE SUPPORTED.
SENATE DECREE: SENT FORCES TO SPAIN.... !! (Are my hopes lost ?!)

Hannibal´s Army with only 1 Elephant unit, 1 companion Cavalry, 1 Heavy Africal cavalry, 3 African Infantry and 1 Spanish infantry unit is at Tarentum...the game will end this turn and I will not let the lost of this Army or the death of Hannibal.. I prefer to have on my hands Tarentum to risk to march over Latium with few chances (Rome Garrison with 6 militia units and 2 Praetorians elite units).

Other Carthage generals are at Carthage and I only can sent them to Spain.. I have no choices.. they will stand at Home due enemy huge spanish Army will defeat any forces that I sent (only one elite cavalry, 1 african cavalry and 1 african infantry are available there).

07 Naval Squadrons are patrolling the Mediterranean Sea, but, with no chances to sent forces to Italy, these naval forces will be unusefull now.

I end my command phase without any moves...

Recruiting Phase: 1 Italian Infantry and 1 Italian Cavalry at Bruttium to Tarentum (Hannibal´s army)

ROME TURN

NO significances moves by Rome.. Crassus is with the huge Spanish Army and Valerius is at Rome...Naval squadrons move to Ionian Sea to join with Syracusan forces.

It was a very conservative play from my own.. I tried all time to preserve as many territories as possible to get enough recruits from Italy, my advice to Senate were severely damage from the lost of Spain.. They wanted to retake positions there but my will was to capture Rome with Hannibal´s Army with no risk to lost at enterprise. It was a new victory for the AI, in my first one, I played a very aggresive play trying to defeat all enemy armies at Italy, but I was defeated in a pitched battle with no option cards at hand and the kill of Hannibal was my defeat.

That´s a great game, and if you like the ancients, this will be your game !
Best wishes, and thank very much everybody for visits and/or posting.

Ramón

Attachments
end.gif
end.gif (368.01 KiB) Viewed 305 times

WITP-AE, WITE
Joseph_Nevsky

Post by Joseph_Nevsky »

Your AAR is great!
Thank you very much, Fletcher [&o]

After reading it, I´m thinking to buy the game soon. But for now, I´m saving money (damn crisis!).

Kindest regards and take care of yourself, compatriot!
¡Hasta luego!
[:)]

Return to “Hannibal: Rome and Carthage in the Second Punic War”