Using NEI oil

A sub-forum for players new to WIF, containing information on how to get started and become an experienced player.

Moderator: Shannon V. OKeets

Courtenay

Using NEI oil

Post by Courtenay »

At the start of the game, the Netherlands is a minor neutral power. It must give both the CW and Japan two oil resources. Neither of those countries own that oil until it lands in territory they control, so that oil can not be used to reorganize units the turn it is delivered. It must be saved first, and then used on a later turn. It can, of course, immediately be used to power a factory. To convoy that oil out, both major powers have to use 2 CPs per sea area.

Eventually, usually pretty quickly, Germany will declare war on the Netherlands. At that point the CW will control the Netherlands. The oil they get is immediately theirs, and can be used to reorganize units. An infinite amount of oil to reorganize units can go through a chain of one CP per sea area. Thus, by using the NEI oil to reorganize units, the CW can save CPs for use elsewhere. This is even more important for the few turns between the US enforcing an Oil Embargo on Japan and Japan and the US going to war. At that point the CW will be getting 4 NEI oil (barring partisans), and they will be very nervous about putting CPs in range of the coming surprise strike. By using that oil to reorganize units, you only put one CP at risk, not four.

This looks obvious, but I missed this for several turns, so am posting this here.
I thought I knew how to play this game....

Return to “WIF School”