USSR Setup: TRS in Caspian Sea Port.

Share your best strategies and tactics with other players by posting them here.

Moderator: Shannon V. OKeets

rkr1958

USSR Setup: TRS in Caspian Sea Port.

Post by rkr1958 »

This is probably known to the MWiF experts, which I am not one, but I've stumbled across two very good reasons for setting the Soviet transport up in a Caspian Sea port.

(1) The first is that the transport can support amphibious invasion(s) with infantry division(s). One could choose to invade with 1 or 2 inf div. These invasions, which if happened out of the 3-box, would be automatic in fine weather and during the surprise impulse of the invasion of Persia provided that the landing was outside the ZOC of the Persian defender. Note: to ensure that you can invade out of the 3-box the Soviet player needs to scrap all 3-mover and slower transports during setup (leaving only 4-mover TRSs).

Attachments
01AXPerisa.jpg
01AXPerisa.jpg (598.05 KiB) Viewed 363 times
Ronnie
rkr1958

RE: USSR Setup: TRS in Caspian Sea Port.

Post by rkr1958 »

Whether or not one desires to invade Persia this second reason in my mind is sufficient to setup the TRS on the Caspian.

(2) The transport can be used in combination with rail to get a unit from Asia to Europe using 1 rail. In the below example, in which the USSR is neutral (1 naval & 1 rail), the transport & 4th Siberian which start together in Krasnovodsk move during the 1 naval directly to Baku. During the 1 rail the 4th Siberian is railed to Centuni.

Attachments
USSRTRSS..anSea2.jpg
USSRTRSS..anSea2.jpg (587.56 KiB) Viewed 363 times
Ronnie
Joseignacio

Post by Joseignacio »

INteresting and ingeniouns, but I dont think the save in transport moves compensates the possible menace you can do on Helsinki or the Rumanian/Bulgarian coast.

Except for the possible Persia invasion, of course.
Centuur

Post by Centuur »

ORIGINAL: Joseignacio

INteresting and ingeniouns, but I dont think the save in transport moves compensates the possible menace you can do on Helsinki or the Rumanian/Bulgarian coast.

Except for the possible Persia invasion, of course.

I agree. If you put the TRS in the Baltic or Black Sea ports it remains a factor to the Axis. If it is in the Caspian, it's a one time use unit. After that it simply sits there, doing absolutely nothing...
Peter
Courtenay

Post by Courtenay »

Ronnie's games have tended to have the Russians do very badly, with fighting in the Caucuses. If that happens, a transport in the Caspian Sea could be useful. Of course, whether the Russians should be planning for fighting in the Caucuses is another question. [:)]
I thought I knew how to play this game....
rkr1958

Post by rkr1958 »

ORIGINAL: Courtenay

Ronnie's games have tended to have the Russians do very badly, with fighting in the Caucuses. If that happens, a transport in the Caspian Sea could be useful. Of course, whether the Russians should be planning for fighting in the Caucuses is another question. [:)]
Yes, I tend to do poorly as the Soviets whether solo or competitive. So originally with this strategy I was looking to "expand" into Persia and possibly even Iraq and setup a Soviet redoubt beginning in the Caucuses. I was willing to "trade" the 3 non-oil RPs in Asia (i.e., to Japanese conquest) for the 3 Persian oil points.

Those were my initial thoughts anyway. But if you happened to see my latest (competitive) AAR my opponent had other plans with totally derailed my 1939 planned invasion of Persia. However that's when I stumbled across use #2 for deploying the Soviet TRS in the Caspian. It significantly reduced the time to rail troops from Asia to Europe.
Ronnie
Centuur

Post by Centuur »

I always put two convoy points in the Caspian Sea. One should prepare for the worst with the USSR. But the TRS is better used elsewhere.
Peter

Return to “The War Room”