Difficulty saving Traded oil

World in Flames is the computer version of Australian Design Group classic board game. World In Flames is a highly detailed game covering the both Europe and Pacific Theaters of Operations during World War II. If you want grand strategy this game is for you.

Moderator: Shannon V. OKeets

FonjoFarley

Difficulty saving Traded oil

Post by FonjoFarley »

Hi

I've come back to the game after a few years, read the excellent Production masterclass thread and thought I might try wrestling with production again. Playing both sides

Have so far only got one issue - I can't seem to save the CW oil in India, which I believe I should be able to do? I've got unused convoys but i'm getting alternating errors - "there is no City or major Port to which to send the oil" and "only the player controlling the resource can make changes"

I had no problems saving the Persian oil in Amman and the French Iraq oil in Syria.

Any ideas?

NEI oil.PNG
NEI oil.PNG (1.39 MiB) Viewed 486 times
Courtenay

Re: Difficulty saving Traded oil

Post by Courtenay »

That is odd. Yes, you should be able to save the oil; I have done so in my game with no problem. I assume you have hit all the buttons on the lower left. I don't like that the "idle" button is on in the upper right box.
I thought I knew how to play this game....
Orm

Post by Orm »

Could you post a save for us to look at?
Have a bit more patience with newbies. Of course some of them act dumb -- they're often students, for heaven's sake. - Terry Pratchett
FonjoFarley

Post by FonjoFarley »

Thanks for looking at it

The Balikpapan oil is no longer showing. I think the game got sick of my attempts to make it work
FonjoFarley

Post by FonjoFarley »

Sorry submitted too early

Excuse my ignorance but when I try to attach the saved file it says the .GAM is an invalid file extension
Orm

Post by Orm »

The save needs to be zipped so that it can be attached.
Have a bit more patience with newbies. Of course some of them act dumb -- they're often students, for heaven's sake. - Terry Pratchett
FonjoFarley

Post by FonjoFarley »

Ah thanks

See attached- hopefully
Attachments
JF hotseat test Turn 1 Prod plan prelim.zip
(1.56 MiB) Downloaded 2 times
Orm

Post by Orm »

I see the save. Thank you. I will take a look at it tomorrow.

Although, I am not sure that I can do anything to improve the situation.
Orm

Post by Orm »

I didn't have the same MWIF version installed that you use, so I loaded the game with the latest beta release - 5.0.0.10.

In this version it looked weird, but managed to send one oil to India, and the other to Australia, and the CW production then automatically changed so that one more BP was produced (full BP production).

Not sure what the guide you use says. And it might very well be that the difference in version is the only solution to the issue. (Don't use 5.0.0.10 for any of my email games so not sure if it has any major issues)

Have you tried to do these steps?
1) "clear" both "defaults" and "override" and then press recomputed.
2) and then click on "Where To" and see if the save location with Bombay turns up.
3) If the save location didn't appear, try to click on "Save" instead

If that didn't work, then sometimes sending the oil to production first, and then order it to be saved can help.
FonjoFarley

Post by FonjoFarley »

Thanks very much. Really appreciate your efforts as always

I wasn't actually worried about production. With 1 idle factory I still got max production with the production multiple.

I can't manage to send to India or Australia (nice idea I hadn't thought about Aus) and now it won't let me save the Trinidad oil in place either.

Yes I had tried the steps you mention. When trying to send it to production first it changed the Action column to production but wouldn't allow me to select a destination.

I'll upgrade to the latest beta version and try that (which I should have done anyway - sorry)

If that doesn't work I'll come back in another couple of years!
Centuur

Post by Centuur »

When you open the screen for the CW and select the oil resources, it should show like the picture which I've included in here.

Notice how the two NEI resources show as being in production in Glasgow. That is shown in green. This means that the program has automatically put in a default value.

Select the row with the first NEI oil resource. Than click on the arrow next to the word "Computed". The word changes in "default". Press the button "clear default". Next click on the dot "save" which is stated below the Rail/Ship designation and choose the place where you want to save the oil point. Press "Recompute". Now the oil point should be saved (shown in green for the default you've just entered).

Do the same for the next one and you should be OK.
Prod 20.gif
Prod 20.gif (581.19 KiB) Viewed 404 times
Peter
FonjoFarley

Post by FonjoFarley »

I'm afraid not

The screen is as below when I open it. Then I am able to sort the French convoys successfully and saving the Iraq oil to Beirut. Then I can save the CW oil in Burma to Rangoon and the Persian oil in the Middle East. Port of Spain I used to be able to save in place but that doesn't seem to work now - but lets ignore that for the moment as I will happily stick another CP in the Caribbean and see if I can save it in Canada if necessary.

Lastly, the NEI oil still shows as idle and I'm too ignorant to convince it otherwise.
Attachments
NEI oil.zip
(898.73 KiB) Downloaded 3 times
craigbear

Post by craigbear »

Failing a fix, just use them for reorganization if using the oil rule (unless they are still traded resources and not controlled). Probably, unneeded and not useful advice I admit.
Centuur

Post by Centuur »

FonjoFarley wrote: Fri Feb 24, 2023 11:14 pm I'm afraid not

The screen is as below when I open it. Then I am able to sort the French convoys successfully and saving the Iraq oil to Beirut. Then I can save the CW oil in Burma to Rangoon and the Persian oil in the Middle East. Port of Spain I used to be able to save in place but that doesn't seem to work now - but lets ignore that for the moment as I will happily stick another CP in the Caribbean and see if I can save it in Canada if necessary.

Lastly, the NEI oil still shows as idle and I'm too ignorant to convince it otherwise.
After checking the bug fixing list for the versions after the one you are using, I came across one fix which had to do with allocating NEI oil to the CW and Japan. So you need to upgrade to 5.0.0.10 to get things right.
Peter
FonjoFarley

Post by FonjoFarley »

Thanks kindly.

My buddy and WiF opponent is going to help me do just that. I'm a bit lost if there's anything more than an update button to press!

There were a few great tips in the "production masterclass" thread so I'm hopeful that those plus the version upgrade will get us sorted

Looking forward to it

Return to “World in Flames”