NEI/CW Japan war declaration question

World in Flames is the computer version of Australian Design Group classic board game. World In Flames is a highly detailed game covering the both Europe and Pacific Theaters of Operations during World War II. If you want grand strategy this game is for you.

Moderator: Shannon V. OKeets

jjdenver

NEI/CW Japan war declaration question

Post by jjdenver »

Hello 2 rules questions:

Can JP DOW CW and then later DOW a CW-aligned NEI or will NEI enter as soon as CW is at war with JP?
Courtenay

Re: NEI/CW Japan war declaration question

Post by Courtenay »

As soon as Japan declares war against the CW, it is at war with all CW aligned countries. In particular, it is at war with the Netherlands, if the Netherlands is CW aligned. Indeed, you will discover that you are not given the option to declare war on aligned countries, only on their controlling major powers.
You can’t declare war on:
[...]
A minor country that is already controlled by a major power on the other side. However, a declaration of war on a major power is also a declaration of war on every minor country aligned to that major power
I thought I knew how to play this game....
jjdenver

Post by jjdenver »

Ok thanks and how does the DOW process work. Let's say USA wants to DOW and CW only wants to DOW if USA succeeds. Is that possible in 1 impulse?
Orm

Post by Orm »

Yes.

FAQ: Q9.2-2
Q: Are alignment and DOW done
simultaneously or sequentially?
Example I: Does the CW know the results
of the US DOW attempt(s) before making
his decisions?
Example II: Can Japan DOW the CW in
the same impulse Germany declares war
on the Netherlands and then invade NEI
and the CW territories, or does Japan
have to wait until the impulse after
Germany DOWs the Netherlands?

A: All DOWs are announced sequentially,
and you DO get to know whether the US
was successful in declaring war on an
Axis major power immediately she
announces it, but you DON'T get to know
the US entry effect nor who aligns the
minor until AFTER all DOWs are
announced.
You must declare war on all major powers
first, and then all minor countries. However
within these restrictions you can declare
war in any order you like. Thus you can
wait till other major powers on your side
have declared war before you do. After all
declarations of war you roll for the US
entry effect and then work out alignment of
minor countries.
Example I: Yes, the CW can wait until we
know whether the US DoW is successful
or not before they declare war. Date
19/07/2007
Example II: Yes she may DOW in the
same impulse, and good play would
dictate the Allied player consider the
possibility of aligning the Netherlands to a
different active Allied major power than the
CW if this happens.
Date 12/05/2008
Have a bit more patience with newbies. Of course some of them act dumb -- they're often students, for heaven's sake. - Terry Pratchett
Courtenay

Post by Courtenay »

As Orm says, yes, you can see what the US result is before deciding whether another country wants to declare war, or even if the US wants to make another DoW. The way MWiF implements this is that if you make a DoW attempt with the US, first, if the DoW is against Germans or Italy, MWiF asks if you want to DoW Italy or Germany at the same time. Then it rolls a die (or you can enter your own result if that is enabled). Thus you can see if the result succeeded. You are still in the DoW phase, and the US or other Allied nations can make there own DoWs. The "Switch Major Power" button on the DoW form is often needed here.
paulderynck

Post by paulderynck »

This is another rules exploit that was corrected in the Collectors Edition. That section now reads:

"9.3 How to declare war
All major powers on this side announce which major powers on the other side they are declaring war on this impulse. They then all announce which neutral minor countries they are declaring war on this impulse."

Further on: "Each declaration of war on a major power or neutral minor country could trigger a US entry effect"

So announcements all have to be made before the US attempt is resolved, although players can determine and implement the US entry effects of the DoWs in any order they want (although all DoWs on major powers have to be fully resolved before DoWs on minor powers).

The main effect of this is if the CW cannot wait to see if the US is successful. This change could be accommodated by players of MWiF.
Paul
Courtenay

Post by Courtenay »

Yet one more reason I will never buy the CE. :)
rkr1958

Post by rkr1958 »

Courtenay wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 2:03 am Yet one more reason I will never buy the CE. :)
Well unlike a computer program that rigorously follows the rules, you could in CE boardgame or vassal module elect to use WIF 7 DOW rules. :)
Ronnie
CanInf

Post by CanInf »

that's why I prefer CWiF. I will never go back to fighting about rules. Invariably the players get it wrong and CWiF is right. Even if there may be some ideal rule set out there, the interpretation will be flawed
Angeldust2

Post by Angeldust2 »

I assume, you are talking about Matrix WIF (MWIF) compared to the current boardgame by ADG called WIFCE? CWIF on the other hand would be a former incarnation of the current Matrix product from the late 90's.

Return to “World in Flames”