How do I revert back to earlier version?

World in Flames is the computer version of Australian Design Group classic board game. World In Flames is a highly detailed game covering the both Europe and Pacific Theaters of Operations during World War II. If you want grand strategy this game is for you.

Moderator: Shannon V. OKeets

craigbear

How do I revert back to earlier version?

Post by craigbear »

I recently downloaded the newest Executable to install the latest game version 4.4.1. I was very hesitant because every version beyond 3.? has been extremely buggy. Of course, now the game has crashed again and is unplayable; therefore, I wish to go back to the versions that worked.

However, one problem I may have is that the last installation, being an executable, was a black box as far as installation goes. Normally, I was updating simply be installing the new MWiF.exe over the previous one. I am uncertain if I can do this in the current version.

My question then is, can I go back to a previous version by the simple expediency of replacing the executable?

Also, can I revert the game file back to that same version, or will there be too many problems doing so?

Finally, I likely have the requisite hot patch in an old email; however, I think I ought to be able to find it somewhere on this site. I cannot seem to find any of the old hot patches though. Have they been moved or removed?
Centuur

Re: How do I revert back to earlier version?

Post by Centuur »

A difficult question to answer. I don't think it is possible to go back to version 3, because some files have changed when version 4 became available.

A probable cause for the bugs you mention, is that you somehow didn't get those changed files. I think it's best to move your saved games in other files, using windows and reïnstall the game itself. If you than use the button to get the latest version provided in the game menu, you should be able to get the latest version running correctly.
Peter
Joseignacio

Post by Joseignacio »

One thing , i think, is going back to 3.xx.xx and another to 4.03. XX, from 4.4.1...

I have gone back and forth between patches, and what I was told I had to do is change the exe, which is what I do. So if i am not wrong, you can go back to some recent patch versions just with the exe.

As for earlier exes, one savvy player advised me to save the older versions in case what happens to you did happen to me. I have several ones of the 4.xx.xx series if you cannot find them elsewhere, including the previous one 4.2.3.2
craigbear

Post by craigbear »

Thank you all.

I am going with the complete reinstall.

However, I am wondering if I should install both updates, 3.00.01 and 4.04.01, or simply the latest.
Centuur

Post by Centuur »

Reinstall the game, than use the button provided in the program to get to the latest official version.

I don't know exactly what the latest version there is. So you need to check.

If that's a 3 version, you need to get the first version 4 which has been published by Steve in the forums. That contains additional files you will need. After that, you can go to the latest 4 version.
Peter
craigbear

Post by craigbear »

Thank-you.

My update button does not work, but I take it that the 3.0XX version in the store is the update. I guess I then follow it with the beta 4.0XX version also in the store. I think that is the same as Steve's version in the forum.

I hope it works as the latest version (4.0XX) has been buggy for me in the past. If the bugginess is due to incremental installs of hot patches throughout the 3.00 versions, then it may fix the problem. However, I am a little suspicious that it may not and I will have to revert to 3.0 plus hot patches to get a working game again.

Return to “World in Flames”